Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 05:03 PM

35 posts, read 29,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Can you keep your non-housing expenses below $6k/year total? I did that in 2012.
Considering I only spend money on girlfriend dinners (some food for me as well), XBL, gasoline, and Netflix... Yes.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:05 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Cheney View Post
Considering I only spend money on girlfriend dinners (some food for me as well), XBL, gasoline, and Netflix... Yes.
Oh your parents pay for food and cell phone and car insurance too?

In other words, you think the way to wealth is to be a leech instead of earning your keep...gotcha.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Oh your parents pay for food and cell phone and car insurance too?

In other words, you think the way to wealth is to be a leech instead of earning your keep...gotcha.
Hey, I do my part since they're in their 60s. Physical labor. It's a mutually beneficial relationship that will one day help my children. This is one or the best ways to rise into a different social class. Probably one of the only truly reliable ways.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Hey, I do my part since they're in their 60s. Physical labor. It's a mutually beneficial relationship that will one day help my children. This is one or the best ways to rise into a different social class. Probably one of the only truly reliable ways.
Is the market value of your labor greater than the market rent of your portion of the house plus the bills your folks are paying for you?

Old 01-24-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Is the market value of your labor greater than the market rent of your portion of the house plus the bills your folks are paying for you?
Does it matter? We're symbiotic. We help one another like families do. However I'm being smart with my money unlike welfare sponges and other millennials who complain about how unfair the world is. I make something of it.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Does it matter? We're symbiotic. We help one another like families do. However I'm being smart with my money unlike welfare sponges and other millennials who complain about how unfair the world is. I make something of it.
Yes, it matters. Is it more than the market value of the bills, or not?

Old 01-24-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, it matters. Is it more than the market value of the bills, or not?
How does it matter?

Old 01-24-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
How does it matter?
Simple. If the answer is yes, than you are actually losing compared to living on your own and working second and third jobs, and hence you cannot attribute any of your financial success to living at home. If the answer is no, you're being a leech and not earning your keep.

There is no reason living at home should be better financially than living elsewhere and performing the same services for pay, unless your parents are losing what you are gaining - in which case, your plan is not sustainable because if your kids do to you what you do to your parents, you will lose it all.

It is a zero-sum game, ultimately. The way to win that works for everyone has nothing to do with living at home. rather, the key is to produce more than you consume. This is a fundamental of economics.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Simple. If the answer is yes, than you are actually losing compared to living on your own and working second and third jobs, and hence you cannot attribute any of your financial success to living at home. If the answer is no, you're being a leech and not earning your keep.

There is no reason living at home should be better financially than living elsewhere and performing the same services for pay, unless your parents are losing what you are gaining - in which case, your plan is not sustainable because if your kids do to you what you do to your parents, you will lose it all.

It is a zero-sum game, ultimately. The way to win that works for everyone has nothing to do with living at home. rather, the key is to produce more than you consume. This is a fundamental of economics.
The thing is wealth is usually a multi generational effort. In cases where you don't magically rise from janitor to CEO you have to slowly save and Invest to make it. By sacrificing for me there's a good possibility I will be a millionaire. And rise above being merely middle class. I can afford to let my kids go to medical school/law school unlike what I did and thus they can maintain an amazing standard of living and pass it on.

Last edited by Dick Cheney; 01-24-2015 at 06:00 PM..

Old 01-24-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
The thing is wealth is usually a multi generational effort. In cases where you don't magically rise from janitor to CEO you have to slowly save and Invest to make it. By sacrificing for me there's a good possibility I will be a millionaire. And rise above being merely middle class. I can afford to let my kids go to medical school/law school unlike what I did and thus they cab maintain an amazing standard of living and pass it on.
Sure, but every multi-generational effort had to start somewhere. There must be a way to make it and build wealth without living at home.

Not to mention that living at home severely limits your job opportunities to something not requiring relocation - and this alone would have ruined my career 7 years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics