Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 02:01 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times

Advertisements

One of the Docs I had worked with retired there... seems to really enjoy it... been several years now.

As for young people and work...

On occasion I have have apartment turnovers... several that I work with have asked me if I had anything for their 20 something sons to do... against my best judgement I mentioned I had a couple of units that were turning over last summer and could use a helper...

This brought a lot more questions... the upshot is the mom didn't want her son around household cleaning chemicals or doing any painting or prep work...

The above is not isolated... many simply will not do this type of work.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:58 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Even if we still had all those factory jobs that paid well, only a certain segment of millenials would be willing to do them, and this is a much smaller segment than existed in the past. At some point it became an embarrassment or failure to take a blue collar job even if it paid well. So when I hear how all these jobs are gone, I do feel bad for the people who would have been willing to do them, but that is not a lot of people. Most mlns would rather work for less at starbucks and complain, than take a shift job at a factory with the "unwashed". Elitism is the new racism. Boomers do have a good part in that, although it began before that, when people who came here and did well decided their kids had to do even better, then the kids of the kids had to do even better than that. Now it's reached a tipping point, everyone cannot be a chief, everyone cannot be at the top. Unfortunately the mentality is set, and you cannot change the mindset of high expectations, elitism and entitlement.

I noticed during the blizzard that dumped 3 feet of snow, mostly older people shoveling and snow blowing. ONE younger guy came by looking to make some money shoveling, and this is a densely populated area full of people in their teens and twenties. It's hard to comprehend. They live for free at home and don't even help their parents do their own yards. Do they think, old people are used to hard work, they just love it and we don't so we'll let them have fun out there.

Anyhow my point is most current younger generation men and women would not work at a "plant" or factory even if the jobs were there. If they did, they would probably not last because production work is boring and requires strict adherence to rules.
This is so hilariously presumptuous. Earlier this year I was looking out the window from my job (in a laboratory (and mind you I work with blood and body fluids all day,and I work shifts to get more money to pay loans). I saw a crane building a corporate office building and think "man that looks like a cool job." A quick google search showed it paid about the same as my job (though it can pay more in unionized areas). Of course it involves in many cases competing for spots for a union apprenticeship, in which I have no connections. I did tell my friend who just completed a cc degree and was transferring to a state school about it and he said he'll think about it though.

As an already degreed person with a job I'm not going back at the moment to totally relearn how to operate a crane. If I want more money I'll get a job in a unionized hospital. I also used to paint houses and fix sheds. I even applied for a military officer position once though ended up getting hired much quicker in a related job in the provate sector (federal gov is so slow). A lot of us like doing hard work actually, but "white collar work" outside of a few highly skilled trades (which often requires admission to a competitive union) pays better.

If you want to talk about entitled fools I'll show you some baby boomers. Many of the ones I know abused hard drugs for years, had college paid for by parents at a fraction of the cost, and used their crappy liberal arts degrees from unknown schools to parlay into corporate managerial jobs paying six figures. Did we mention these decadent fools had the highest divorce rates by far, thus preventing their offspring from inheriting much of their wealth or being able to pay for their kids college? Of the "priveledged" boomers it seems to me almost all of them are divorced. Maybe years of LSD and screwing in the mud make it hard to stay married I don't know but divorce basically cripples future generations economically. This excessive lifestyle was only occuring due to the efforts of the GI generation helping them out. Keep in mind the above mentioned class of Boomers only applies to the wealthier, white, white collar, "leave it to beaver" class, mainly in the northeast and california. Rural boomers, southerners, blacks etc had it probably worse however.

Last edited by njbiodude; 01-30-2015 at 04:09 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 04:25 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
In case it has not been said before. Of course Millenials are 'poor' compared to seniors. Once millenials have lived their lives and made their fortunes they will become the new 'rich' and their children will be the new 'poor'. That is how it works. You are born (penniless), grow, learn (poor), work (poor-->not poor), reap the rewards (rich). If you are lucky, observant, patient, wise.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:38 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The cost of living in place like SF or NYC isn't because of a "hip tax" - a lot of people want to live there, there are great paying jobs there, there is limited land to build on, and residents are willing to pay a ton of money to live there, so prices rise. Do you think people actually enjoy paying thousands per month for a place that might be $500-$700 in most of flyover country? Absolutely not, but the top jobs in fields like tech and finance are not in podunk South Dakota or Texas. People gravitate to where the jobs are.
Well, podunk South Dakota and Texas have a lot lower unemployment rates than SF does. I know the SFers and NYCers think those that live there are better than everyone else and the places they live are better, but I find most of SF to consist of **** covered, run down sidewalks and streets compared to many of the cities in the Midwest, including Sioux Falls and Austin, neither of which I'm sure you've ever been to, Mr. Podunk.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Well today I have a different take on it. Today in addition to the other things I mentioned I have ti say it is because America is the new 3rd world country waiting to happen due to the rich.
Send $80 to every working adult who's not on Social Security | Citizen | Indy Week

There is only so much we as average Americans can control as our corporations abandon us and move overseas. they have not been loyal to us so we should not be loyal to them.
Americans and particularly unions have been subsidized for decades and with globalization that is going to end. It's sad that now people will actually have to compete with other countries for jobs. LOL. Unions are a relic of the past. You will have to stand on your own two feet now. Mamma isn't gonna come to your rescue forever.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The 12 federal reserve banks are headquartered in Boston, NYC, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Richmond, Atlanta, Chicago, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Kansas City, Dallas and San Francisco. If you are working for a hedge fund they will have a major presence in Chicago because that is where the CBOT is located. You could also work the CBOE, CMT and CHX. One of the first things you learn about New Yorkers is that they have no idea what is going on in the rest of the country. They spend way too much time sitting around telling each other how great New York is.

Even a place like Kansas City has the KCBOT, which most newspaper reporters have never heard of, in addition to a federal reserve bank headquarters. If you want to work in finance or trade, the only reason to stick with NYC is ego.
My experience about New Yackers, too. And some San Franciscans. When I was younger a dude in an apartment complex near me in the SF Bay area said he was thinking of moving "way back" east. Reno he said.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:06 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Well, podunk South Dakota and Texas have a lot lower unemployment rates than SF does. I know the SFers and NYCers think those that live there are better than everyone else and the places they live are better, but I find most of SF to consist of **** covered, run down sidewalks and streets compared to many of the cities in the Midwest, including Sioux Falls and Austin, neither of which I'm sure you've ever been to, Mr. Podunk.
SF unemployment is at 3.8% and falling... and is in between South Dakota 3.5% and Texas 4.1%

San Francisco Unemployment Hits Record Low Of 3.8 Percent; State Jobless Rate Drops « CBS San Francisco

Old 01-30-2015, 09:46 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The 12 federal reserve banks are headquartered in Boston, NYC, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Richmond, Atlanta, Chicago, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Kansas City, Dallas and San Francisco. If you are working for a hedge fund they will have a major presence in Chicago because that is where the CBOT is located. You could also work the CBOE, CMT and CHX. One of the first things you learn about New Yorkers is that they have no idea what is going on in the rest of the country. They spend way too much time sitting around telling each other how great New York is.

Even a place like Kansas City has the KCBOT, which most newspaper reporters have never heard of, in addition to a federal reserve bank headquarters. If you want to work in finance or trade, the only reason to stick with NYC is ego.
So True. When I was applying for jobs I found NYC paid like 8-10k than the job offer I received in NC. I'd end up spending at minimum 10k more on housing, have higher income taxes, higher everything. And then of course the weather is horrible most of the year, and for the most part it smells like trash. Unemployment is still around 8%, and the police are thugs.

San Francisco is a much nicer city if you can afford it. Either way both are playgrounds for the rich trust fund babies, or older established professionals with high salaries and a serious down payment on hand.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:59 AM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
One of the Docs I had worked with retired there... seems to really enjoy it... been several years now.

As for young people and work...

On occasion I have have apartment turnovers... several that I work with have asked me if I had anything for their 20 something sons to do... against my best judgement I mentioned I had a couple of units that were turning over last summer and could use a helper...

This brought a lot more questions... the upshot is the mom didn't want her son around household cleaning chemicals or doing any painting or prep work...

The above is not isolated... many simply will not do this type of work.
I wonder what kind of work those parents had in mind for their adult sons, if not cleaning and prepping the apartments. Probably house-sitting or something, you pay them to live there and do nothing. This goes to show, it is the parents starting this crazy bubble-wrap mentality. Every so often you see a kid rebel, pick up a hammer or a shovel, and it's great.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
You mean like unless stories about personal accessories shopping?

What part of "we may be seeing a net DECREASE in immigration" didn't sink in? I can't point to any particular statistic because this is too recent to chart. This is certainly noticeable in the Southwest. Class sizes throughout our area are decreasing as immigrant families are returning home for better opportunities.

I'm guessing these people have the common sense to realize that 2015 isn't the same economy as 2005 or 1995 or 1985. They're looking at the numbers. You know, plugging their personal numbers into the economic reality of 2015 and deciding that Mexico is a more attractive option.
Hey, if that means that ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION RATES are dropping, that's fine by me.

Actually though, I've done some research (a cool trick that you ought to try some time), and here are the facts on immigration numbers:

Illegal immigration has dropped since 2007 - which is great news. This is due to several factors, which include but are not limited to potential illegal immigrants' perception of the US economy. Other factors include border enforcement as well as the general graying of the Mexican population.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ly-since-2007/
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...on-in-the-u-s/

The legal immigration rate has dropped by about 275,000 since a high in 2006. That's about .0008 of our population.
http://www.dhs.gov/yearbook-immigrat...nent-residents

By the way, my example of someone buying an expensive purse when they couldn't afford it wasn't a personal anecdote - it was an EXAMPLE used to illustrate a point. There's a difference.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 01-31-2015 at 08:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics