Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 07:57 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times

Advertisements

This has already been addressed by Elizabeth Warren in a presentation she did. It was caused by (youre going to love this) the duel earner household. We effectively doubled the workforce without doubling the consumer base (because households didn't double). This negatively affected wages over time and also drove up housing prices because families had more income and therefore the ability to bid higher on housing. Wages are now lower than they should be and many other factors have adversely affected those. Your best bet these days if you want to get ahead is...dun dun dun....marry the right person. If you are a lawyer and marry a doctor, youll still have that ideal Leave it to Beaver middle class lifestyle. If you are like the bulk of Americans youre screwed. The full effects of this haven't even been felt yet. Wait until us Millenials are in our 50's and have nothing saved up for retirement, youll see demand for government assistance programs shoot to a level beyond what the government can provide. That's when the S will hit the F.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:59 AM

325 posts, read 486,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
This has already been addressed by Elizabeth Warren in a presentation she did. It was caused by (youre going to love this) the duel earner household. We effectively doubled the workforce without doubling the consumer base (because households didn't double). This negatively affected wages over time and also drove up housing prices because families had more income and therefore the ability to bid higher on housing. Wages are now lower than they should be and many other factors have adversely affected those. Your best bet these days if you want to get ahead is...dun dun dun....marry the right person. If you are a lawyer and marry a doctor, youll still have that ideal Leave it to Beaver middle class lifestyle. If you are like the bulk of Americans youre screwed. The full effects of this haven't even been felt yet. Wait until us Millenials are in our 50's and have nothing saved up for retirement, youll see demand for government assistance programs shoot to a level beyond what the government can provide. That's when the S will hit the F.
When the boomers retire/die in mass, there will be a huge labor shortage in the US. We have other issues too like IP address exhaustion, energy issues, which will create needed work.

The population is developed nations is imploding big time, fertility rates are down.

I think the millennials will do fine, eventually.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Tolkienish Figure View Post
When the boomers retire/die in mass, there will be a huge labor shortage in the US. We have other issues too like IP address exhaustion, energy issues, which will create needed work.

The population is developed nations is imploding big time, fertility rates are down.

I think the millennials will do fine, eventually.
That labor shortage isn't being backfilled though. Companies are finding ways of doing more with less, outsourcing, offshoring, and blatant elimination of positions. Im seeing it right now in my company. We offered voluntary layoffs to specifically eliminate older employees, whose positions will be ELIMINATED.

We millenials aren't just griping undeservedly. Were trying to figure out how to have a lifestyle AT LEAST as good as our parents had, but at every turn we are being attacked.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:12 AM

325 posts, read 486,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
That labor shortage isn't being backfilled though. Companies are finding ways of doing more with less, outsourcing, offshoring, and blatant elimination of positions. Im seeing it right now in my company. We offered voluntary layoffs to specifically eliminate older employees, whose positions will be ELIMINATED.

We millenials aren't just griping undeservedly. Were trying to figure out how to have a lifestyle AT LEAST as good as our parents had, but at every turn we are being attacked.
Productivity growth is slowing actually:

Old 01-05-2015, 08:13 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,800 times
Typical, want want want. Try working, planning and postponing gratification for a change. Millennials aren't attacked, they are questioned about their entitlement attitudes. It seems Millennials want the lifestyle their parents have but aren't willing to work for it and instead want it from the start instead of after the work gets done. Tough.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Tolkienish Figure View Post
Productivity growth is slowing actually:
Im not sure how making my accounting department work ten additional hours per week would show up in that graph.....

Old 01-05-2015, 08:24 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I think you touched a nerve!!

I agree it's a huge problem that we are now confronting. I don't know where it all leads. I don't know what the answer is. A lot of folks seem to think there's nothing new under the sun, or that American exceptionalism will see us through, or that it's just the same old progress and generational grumbling and hitches. Or, they just don't care and want those dam n kids off their lawns.

I hate it for my brother who is 13 years younger than me, and for my niece and nephew. My plan is to get out before my job / career is sent elsewhere or able to be done by an AI. Retiring at age 50 (ten years).
Indeed.

I am finding the responses very interesting since in so many of these threads, when the "laziness," etc. of millennials is the starting point, the responses tend to be of the "when I was that age, I had my own house, was married, didn't need a college degree, etc."

Now, all of sudden everyone was poor and suffering?

Funny how circumstances change when faced with the truth of what is going on with the younger generation.

It's a shame, really, how quickly people are willing to pull the ladder up after them and completely forget the advantages they had due to the GI Bill, legacy factory jobs and other things back in the day.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:50 AM

So far every generation has figured life out, along come the millennials and suddenly life is a crisis. The problem is the handouts are drying up. No one gave your parents a living wage.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Indeed.

I am finding the responses very interesting since in so many of these threads, when the "laziness," etc. of millennials is the starting point, the responses tend to be of the "when I was that age, I had my own house, was married, didn't need a college degree, etc."

Now, all of sudden everyone was poor and suffering?

Funny how circumstances change when faced with the truth of what is going on with the younger generation.

It's a shame, really, how quickly people are willing to pull the ladder up after them and completely forget the advantages they had due to the GI Bill, legacy factory jobs and other things back in the day.
Now people can sit at a desk, bang on a keyboard and make 6 figures. Factory jobs? This is 2015, not 1960. People are pulling up the ladder behind them because the millennials think hanging on the ladder is the way to the easy life. Pull up the ladder? Used to be kids left home after high school or the latest college. Now the millennials live with their parents. Just who is pulling on the ladder?

Old 01-05-2015, 08:54 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
It's the same all over the world, not just USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics