Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 06:15 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,532,855 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on opening one and just have a few questions.

How many parking spaces would be ideal? My capacity will probably be around 700 people.

Will my liquor license be a personal expense that I'll have to pay myself back for later or can it come from my business fund once I have my investment money placed in the business account?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 08:59 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,077,245 times
I am not sure about Atlanta but where I live you would need several million in startup money. You would need to consider 300 or so parking spots. Don't worry about the license. The attorneys will handle that. You will need to be incorporated...way too much risk otherwise. Your biggest issue will be finding and hiring a couple hundred trained and experienced employees.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:36 AM

893 posts, read 881,202 times
Sorry a bit of a different issue but Liquor liability insurance is a biggie. Dont go less than $1,000,000. Saw a buddy almost get burned when 4 guys left bar drunk and buddy/owner called a cab for them and told them not to drive. They ignored him and drove off. They were involved in a bad accident and several died and i believe one was seriously injured.

Of course he was sued. IIRC his limit of liability wasnt enough but court settled for that amount. Could have been disastrous for him.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I am not sure about Atlanta but where I live you would need several million in startup money. You would need to consider 300 or so parking spots. Don't worry about the license. The attorneys will handle that. You will need to be incorporated...way too much risk otherwise. Your biggest issue will be finding and hiring a couple hundred trained and experienced employees.
I don't plan on having more than 30 employees... And there's no way I'll have 300 spots, I'll bbe lucky to get half that so I assume I'll have to contract with a garage and have valet. I am of course getting incorporated, already filled that with the state and waiting to be emailed back. Reason I worry about the liquor license is because I was told this is out of pocket money that I can write off, but still will not be ableable to use corporate funds for it.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:10 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,995,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I'm planning on opening one and just have a few questions.

How many parking spaces would be ideal? My capacity will probably be around 700 people.

Will my liquor license be a personal expense that I'll have to pay myself back for later or can it come from my business fund once I have my investment money placed in the business account?

You need to make sure you qualify to get a liquor license before you invest any money into anything.
If you can't get that license there is no reason to invest. What sort of club are you looking for? That seems to be a lot of drunks all in one place with a very high risk of under age drinkers.
Also, if you are a drinker and all of your friends and family show up, do not put their alcohol consumption or yours "on the house", all that does is take away from your profits.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You need to make sure you qualify to get a liquor license before you invest any money into anything.
If you can't get that license there is no reason to invest. What sort of club are you looking for? That seems to be a lot of drunks all in one place with a very high risk of under age drinkers.
Also, if you are a drinker and all of your friends and family show up, do not put their alcohol consumption or yours "on the house", all that does is take away from your profits.
I must not have mentioned it, I'm trying to buy a liquor license from another business that had recently renewed it. My problem that I have is my investor told me since the license will go in my name that it'll have to come out of pocket on the cost and not out of the corporate budget.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I don't plan on having more than 30 employees... And there's no way I'll have 300 spots, I'll bbe lucky to get half that so I assume I'll have to contract with a garage and have valet. I am of course getting incorporated, already filled that with the state and waiting to be emailed back. Reason I worry about the liquor license is because I was told this is out of pocket money that I can write off, but still will not be ableable to use corporate funds for it.
So if you have 30 employees, count on 25 working if you limit the bar hours to 40 or less/week. With breaks you will be down to barely 20 actually working at any one time. You will need reception, bouncers, bar staff, kitchen staff, and busboys. You will be lucky to have 8-10 servers on the floor. That should handle about 100 customers, certainly not 700. Lucky you, now you only need about 50 parking spots.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:23 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,478,232 times
Thought parking spots was a ratio of max capacity in some cities. So 1 spot for X number of people. Asking city hall would be easist since you want to get it correct.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:54 AM

What type of bar and clientele are you looking for? Sports bar? Gay bar? Straight, Saturday night meat market? Convention/visitors? Bikers bar? Jazz, bands, or other music? Before, after show? ??? Obviously the facilities, parking and service requirements can vary greatly.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:09 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,457,665 times
Where I live most bars are in the downtown area and only about 10% of them have parking lots. Most of our downtown bars rely on foot traffic from bar to bar and street parking. I couldn't imagine a bar that isn't stand alone that needs 100+ parking spaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics