Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 06:09 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you can argue it all you want , there is no disputing that folks spend more on cell phones and cable than that 500 bucks in tax.
For once I agree with you!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Are you sure it's the same people complaining? I know several people in the top 1%. They make most of their income in salary (physicians, lawyers, entertainment etc) and pay a TON in taxes. They are nowhere near the top 400 households.
while physicians and some lawyers do quite well for themselves, they aren't the 1%.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:33 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkstar12 View Post
while physicians and some lawyers do quite well for themselves, they aren't the 1%.
What is your definition of 1%? If you're talking income distribution, they certainly are.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...e-one-percent/

Quote:
According to research on individual tax returns in 2004 and 2005 by Jon Bakija of Williams College, Adam Cole of the Treasury Department and Bradley T. Heim of Indiana University, the top 1% consists primarily of salaried executives at nonfinancial businesses (30%) and secondarily of doctors (14%), people working in finance (13%) and lawyers (8%).
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...52551767664072

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 02-12-2015 at 10:42 PM..

Old 02-12-2015, 11:14 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
What is your definition of 1%? If you're talking income distribution, they certainly are.

Who Actually Are the One Percent? - Forbes

James Piereson: The Truth About the 'One Percent' - WSJ

I'm impressed with the apparent fact that 4 percent of the top 1 percent are not working or are dead.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
But often after death they still contribute while many contribute nothing and in fact are dependent on them when dead. Life is funny sometime when you think about it.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:37 AM

658 posts, read 724,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But often after death they still contribute while many contribute nothing and in fact are dependent on them when dead. Life is funny sometime when you think about it.
yeap...you pay for reincarnation

Old 02-18-2015, 06:32 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:

Who Actually Are the One Percent? - Forbes

James Piereson: The Truth About the 'One Percent' - WSJ
Interesting chart but not totally relevant.

Medicine is a very broad category and not every single physician is swimming in cash/wealth.

BLS numbers are a better source: Physicians and Surgeons, All Other

Next consider even though many physicians do earn good to very good living many from new grads to those with office practices carry large debt burdens.

Finally where and what type of medical practice a physician engages in determines their living. Certain specialties do very well. Then you have those working out of run down offices/clinics barely earning a middle class living.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:46 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Some on this thread have it correct, others just are deluding themselves including the OP of this topic.

Since it is tax time just one look at the federal code will tell you the "poor" pay little to no federal income taxes. What taxes they do pay can and often are offset by ETC and other credits/deductions. The poor in this country are more likely than those of other classes to have a surplus of children. Those children are often the reason *why* the household is poor, but also are a source of income again due to various credits and deductions.

What the poor do pay in taxes on earning is FICA/payroll taxes (Social Security, Medicare), again from which they benefit in higher numbers than the wealthy. Even there ETC and other deductions/credits are designed to offset the bite of payroll taxes and thus encourage the poor to work.

Yes, the "poor" pay more in often local, sales and other taxes on consumables, but there they have more control. You go to any "poor" household or housing estate (projects) and you'll see plenty of the latest high tech and mod cons. Everything from smart phones, high def televisions and so forth. Go to Best Buy around the holidays and you'll see plenty of "poor" families stocking up on the same.

Granted many of these purchases are made via credit cards (debt) but it shows an appalling lack of financial education. In my day even if you came from a middle class or above household you got what you could (or your parents) afford. If Converse sneakers were out of the question you got "skips" and that was it. Parent's didn't care if other children laughed or shunned you because you couldn't keep up, that was their problem.

Today you have the "poor" not only with smart phones but huge data plans (that are taxed) as well to support.

Now here is the pay off; since the US economy is heavily based upon consumer spending you hear less out of some person's mouths about setting some people straight, than giving them *more* money to spend. The latter simply leads to more of the same habits but since it generates tax dollars there you are.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:02 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Interesting chart but not totally relevant.

Medicine is a very broad category and not every single physician is swimming in cash/wealth.
It was relevant to the post I was replying to, which stated that physicians and lawyers were not part of the 1%. The data I posted directly contradicted that statement, so it was most definitely relevant in that context.

I'm not sure what point you were trying to make with the rest of the post. The largest component of the 1% are "salaried executives, managers and supervisors", but if you were to take the median in that bucket, the median salary for this group would also be far below the salary cutoff for the 1%. It would probably even be lower than the median salary for physicians.

Were you trying to make the point that not every physician is in the 1%? I would agree with that. However, if anything, the percentage of physicians who are in the 1% is going to far higher than the percentage of "salaried executives, managers and supervisors" that are in the 1%.

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 02-18-2015 at 10:24 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 08:22 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,055 times
Quote:
The report only addresses state and local taxes, which is mostly income, sales and property tax.

The rich pay a greater percentage of their income in income tax. However, the proportion of their income that they spend on goods is far lower than lower income households, so therefore they pay much less sales tax (as a percentage of income) than lower income households. I think that's just math, not out of control taxation.
BINGO!!! It just kills me how folks take these stupid reports and headlines at face value without actually using their critical thinking skills. For those of you lacking this skill: If I make 20k per year and it takes every bit of that 20k to live on then I'll spend it all on what I need.......those needs have taxes attached to them therefore 100% of my spending is taxed. But, if I make 100k per year and I only need to spend 20k on day to day living expenses (because I live frugally and am saving for my retirement) then I'll only pay taxes on 20% of that 100k. Multiple lessons can be learned from this:

#1 If you don't make a lot and you WANT to earn more, do something about it.
#2 Just because you make 100k, doesn't mean you have to spend it all (save and invest for your future).
#3 Pay close attention to #2 because THAT my friends is how most of the rich become rich.
#4 If you continue to waste your time on CD whining that it's not fair that someone else is doing better/has more than you then you haven't yet learned #1 and will never reach #3 as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics