Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 10:06 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I write off most all of our expenses.

If we go on vacation..........I look at equipment.

I love that one. My former convenience store employer spends 10-15 weeks a year globetrotting, so I suggested he look for cool products to import and sell in his stores. But when he travels, he is having too much fun to be diverted. I have no idea if they have big trade shows like we do here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 10:10 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
We have 18 trucks.

What I do is leave one out for a personal truck.

I still can write off all the insurance and the fuel and any other expense.

A lease you take 100% of the cost that year.

I like my depreciation.

You buy 18 trucks what do you get? Another big writeoff and zero in debt?

Old 01-18-2015, 10:16 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
You buy 18 trucks what do you get? Another big writeoff and zero in debt?
Yep......I pay cash.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:21 AM

353 posts, read 604,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The thing is not everyone who is rich is rich by good decisions. Unless you wastefully spend or are new money, you do have old money which is people who are rich based off of previous their parents, grandparents, even great grandparents.

Yes, I know several millionaires and I can only think of two who were "self made", and they are very generous and gracious people. The others who were born into money and who did nothing to earn it tend to cling to it jealously like they had to perform the 12 Labors of Hercules to get it.

My best guess is that they know if they lose it they have no idea how to earn it back, versus the self made guys who know how to make money and are confident in their abilities to do so again if necessary.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:45 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
The old cliche about the Golden Rule ("He who has the gold makes the rules") is alive and well in the US tax system. The whole system is Of, By, and For the rich. Tax rates for the very wealthy have plummeted in the last decade, yet we continually hear how the wealthy are being "taxed to death".
I recall reading a story several years ago where Warren Buffett was talking about how much higher the tax rate was for his $40k earning secretary than it was for himself, and how ridiculous it was. Since then, it's just become more ridiculous. I'd love to pay that 16%-ish rate that the top 400 pay.
Capital gains tax is 20% federal, 23.5% if you are over certain income limits

The median federal income tax paid is about 7%

Therefore the rich are paying more on capital gains then the middle class secretaries earning 40K per year.

Secondly the capital gains includes inflation, which historically makes up about 40% of all stock gains. Also take into account that the capital gains are taxed twice since earnings growth drive stock appreciation. Earnings are after tax. The corporate tax is 35%, the average company in the S&P 500 pays about 30% in taxes.

You add in all these factors and capital gains are around 40-50% depending on the period.

You sound like a bitter jealous person. If you want more money why don't you work more or change careers don't expect rich people to pay for you. You aren't entitled to anyone else's money.

The sad thing is that the Democratic party thinks they decide who gets to keep what. I think its disgusting

Old 01-18-2015, 11:01 AM

353 posts, read 604,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Capital gains tax is 20% federal, 23.5% if you are over certain income limits

The median federal income tax paid is about 7%

Therefore the rich are paying more on capital gains then the middle class secretaries earning 40K per year.

Secondly the capital gains includes inflation, which historically makes up about 40% of all stock gains. Also take into account that the capital gains are taxed twice since earnings growth drive stock appreciation. Earnings are after tax. The corporate tax is 35%, the average company in the S&P 500 pays about 30% in taxes.

You add in all these factors and capital gains are around 40-50% depending on the period.

You sound like a bitter jealous person. If you want more money why don't you work more or change careers don't expect rich people to pay for you. You aren't entitled to anyone else's money.

The sad thing is that the Democratic party thinks they decide who gets to keep what. I think its disgusting

Wow, why attack me just because you disagree with my post? Bitter, jealous? Seriously? I guess Warren Buffett is bitter and jealous too, since I quoted him. Calm down, it's okay, I'm not coming to take your money.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:02 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
We have 18 trucks.

What I do is leave one out for a personal truck.

I still can write off all the insurance and the fuel and any other expense.

A lease you take 100% of the cost that year.

I like my depreciation.
You can't actually. The personal expenses attributable to that one truck can't be written of at all, but as I recall from one of the P&oC threads you engaged in tax fraud.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:07 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You can't actually. The personal expenses attributable to that one truck can't be written of at all, but as I recall from one of the P&oC threads you engaged in tax fraud.
In my audits I was told it was fine to write it off that way.

I guess the IRS really don't care.

Why would I engaged in tax fraud......there are so many legal ways to do things????

Old 01-18-2015, 11:32 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Except it is legal tax fraud due to credits, deductions, not claiming income, etc. I wonder what driller would do if the tax code ever changed to a flat or even a fair tax, there goes his credits and deductions.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:40 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
In my audits I was told it was fine to write it off that way.

I guess the IRS really don't care.

Why would I engaged in tax fraud......there are so many legal ways to do things????
I don't remember the details as that thread is at least 6 months old, but what you were describing most assuredly is tax fraud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Except it is legal tax fraud due to credits, deductions, not claiming income, etc. I wonder what driller would do if the tax code ever changed to a flat or even a fair tax, there goes his credits and deductions.
That would be tax avoidance which is legal. Tax fraud and tax evasion are not legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics