Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 07:40 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
So what you're saying is don't criticize the rich.
Criticize them all you like.
Just don't pretend that they're somehow omnipotent or the only responsible party.

The BIGGEST hindrance the poor have in being paid more/better...
is their own literal and figurative siblings that they have to compete with.

The ONLY demographic group that hasn't self limited their birthrates...
in the wake of the decimation of no/low skilled jobs... are the poor.
They are their own worst enemy.

Reduce that competition from their worst examples and the rest WILL be paid better.
More importantly... they'll deserve to be paid better.
It's not all that complicated.

Reward their mere existence with unearned wages? Absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 01:00 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
Also the heart of the matter. Excess labor. Too many people for too few jobs.

MrRational always chimes in on this issue too from my past experiences with this topic and points out the problem in a nutshell.

You can send people to college or trade school to "up their skills" until your ears bleed and a good amount would come out with more debt, more skills and no where to use them.

And then you have tadaaahhhh.... The Trillion Dollar Student Loan Bubble.

Trade in one set of problems for another. Isn't it grand? LOL

It's almost like some kind of Alanis Morissette song, "Isn't it ironic. Don't you think?"
Why do liberals always think jobs and businesses are finite?

Old 01-20-2015, 05:56 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

Because people are greedy and always want more?

Old 01-20-2015, 06:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
[quote=Mircea;38086041]

The Lame Excuse Forum for Losers is over that-a-way.

You seem to think that, within a regonal economy, cost of living is immutabble and siimply something with which people must deal.

The heck with that I hate spending money and am always looking for costs to cut.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:22 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Because even the universal supply of hydrogen is finite?

Old 01-22-2015, 08:40 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Because Capital is fixed and finite.

The fact that Marx so stated, does not alter the reality that it is true. He wasn't the first or last to make such an observation.

Can all 317 Million Americans be brain-surgeons?

Nope.

I just totally debunked your myth.

Even if all 317 Million Americans really did have the potential to be brain-surgeons, you don't have the Capital to educate and train them, because Capital is fixed and finite.

It's just like your medical care system. You're using the Hospital Model which is grossly Capital Intensive and the least efficient means of delivery of medical care, and then on top of that, it's run by a monopoly (the American Hospital Association) which adds to the inefficiency. Your hospitals are sitting on tons of Capital that's going nowhere and doing for you. The ACA has made that worse.

That's why "Drill! Baby, Drill!" is the stupidest thing ever.

The oil and natural gas industries are Capital Intensive: they suck cash, credit, labor and host of other Capital right out of the Market. O Canada! is finding that out the hard way.

That's what comparative trade is about. The goal is to get a comparative trade advantage, and that comes by letting foreign States produce those things that are not efficient for you to produce.

How stupid is it to tie up precious Capital in the form of cash, credit, labor, land, and all other manner of resources to produce plastic kitchen utensils, when that can be done in China or India more efficiently?

You can't even export that stuff, because your prices are way too high. And they always will be. In case you forgot, you're surrounded by oceans and plastic kitchen utensils don't swim (very well).

That's why you never let government interfere in the free flow of Capital, because they do nothing but muck things up.

Quote:
The Swiss economy

Switzerland’s economy is based on a highly qualified labour force performing highly skilled work. The main areas include microtechnology, hitech, biotechnology and pharmaceuticals, as well as banking and insurance know-how. The service sector now employs the greatest number of people.
Source: Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs

Economy - Switzerland - Information

....microtechnology, hitech, biotechnology and pharmaceuticals...

The Swiss have something the US does not have: an expanding 5th Level Economy.

Of course, Switzerland is a country -- not a nation --- having only 8 Million people, and nearly all of them are of German, French or Italian descent.

Most importantly.....Switzerland --- which is a federal republic like the US -- did not allow the Left-Wing to destroy the public education system with a horrid Department of (Un)Education. The Swiss moved into their 5th Level Economy in the mid-1990s just like they were supposed to do, while the US stagnated and went in reverse.

What's that saying? It's hard to soar with Eagles when you're grounded with Turkeys. The 5th Level Economy is like the Eagles, and the Turkeys prance about in the 2nd Level Economy.

Whenever you stop picking your nose and grow up and start acting like a citizen, then maybe you can get rid of the Department of (Un)Education and then perhaps you will have a chance to move into your 5th Level Economy and create good paying stable jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
So what you're saying is don't criticize the rich.
You're the one who is dependent upon them, not me.

I didn't put you in chains.

You voluntarily shackled yourself......

Mircea

Old 01-23-2015, 02:10 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The Swiss moved into their 5th Level Economy in the mid-1990s just like they were supposed to do, while the US stagnated and went in reverse.

What's that saying? It's hard to soar with Eagles when you're grounded with Turkeys. The 5th Level Economy is like the Eagles, and the Turkeys prance about in the 2nd Level Economy.
5th level economy?

Seriously, that sounds like something out of Dungeons and Dragons. In all of my economic geekery, I have never encountered the term "5th level economy."

Care to explain? Google returned D&D spell lists. (Seriously, that's what I got when I googled it.)

Old 01-23-2015, 08:00 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Moving is expensive. You can't afford to. I recommed reading Nickle and Dimed in America. I good "expose" on ehat living at minimum wage looks like.
People move ALL THE TIME to improve their financial situation. Fill up your car and go. No car? Hitchhike with a backpack like my daughter's friend did last year (from California to the east coast).

It's stupid to stay in a place you can't afford, month after month, year after year, unless your gig is to be the martyr. Make some extra money, sell your stuff and head out on your new adventure.

My great great grandfather left the Carpathian mountains with his girlfriend, made his way across Europe, jumped on a ship and settled in Pennsylvania. At 18, no money and illiterate. Why have some people lost this drive to get up and go and build a good life?

Don't read books like Nickel and Dimed, read books by successful people.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:43 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
Please understand that the higher the wages those employees get, the higher the prices we will end up paying. Increasing their salary will lower someone else's by the same amount. The idea of minimum wage damages the economy.
It will reduce the huge amount of money the owners of the company hold in offshore bank accounts and instead keep more of that money in the local communities. I'll hold my tears when the Walton family can only afford 10 private jets instead of 20.

We had a time when wage wasn't dictated by the gov't but only by Might Makes Right. It was called slavery

Old 01-23-2015, 07:07 PM

353 posts, read 604,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
5th level economy?

Seriously, that sounds like something out of Dungeons and Dragons. In all of my economic geekery, I have never encountered the term "5th level economy."

Care to explain? Google returned D&D spell lists. (Seriously, that's what I got when I googled it.)

Google gives me "Classroom Economy: 5th Grade Integrated Social Studies Unit. That must be it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics