U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 07:06 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,199,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Now there is a brilliant idea. I know a drunk who go this fourth DUI with a 12-month license suspension and an interlock requirement. So he put his car in his adult daughter's name. Solved his interlock issue.
That doesn't solve the 12 month suspension.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:42 AM

11,780 posts, read 8,213,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Idea View Post
All of the serious DUI accidents I read about seem to involve someone well beyond 0.1 blood alcohol content. You may remember when states were forced into lowering the level to 0.08. What exactly the threshold should be could be discussed. Or, would you like to make the case for absolute sobriety?
From what I read yesterday , something like 60-80% of the accidents/deaths involve people more than 2x the legal limit. Some of the people in this thread speak as if the person at .08 and .19 are equally dangerous, but the difference between a legal DWI and no DWI can be as little as 15 minutes.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:12 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,466,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Now there is a brilliant idea. I know a drunk who go this fourth DUI with a 12-month license suspension and an interlock requirement. So he put his car in his adult daughter's name. Solved his interlock issue.
I wish they would be a standard safety feature on all cars.

Maybe the solution is the Google car, which drives itself and takes the human out of the equation. You can drink all you want then as long as you're not so drunk that you end up messing up its inputs.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:32 AM

16,494 posts, read 17,539,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
That doesn't solve the 12 month suspension.

Well he didn't seem too worried about it since he just drove the car anyway.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:47 AM

4,859 posts, read 3,717,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
Yep you can count on the self-righteous types to pop up in a thread like this. If they or a close family member/friend gets popped for this maybe they'll understand how unfair and harsh the punishment is in many states. Unless, of course, you're fortunate enough to live in states like Pennsylvania and Wisconsin that believe in a more reasonable punishment (for first offenders) and these states try not to ruin peoples lives for one poor decision (assuming no injury/accident caused or extreme BAC content)

I abhor drunk drivers.

Six years ago my DH was arrested for drunk driving. It was his first. But he'd driven drunk for years. YEARS. I can't tell you how many times he'd come stumbling in through the door after driving home. So when he was finally arrested, I WAS THRILLED.

Here's what happened:
I had to explain to my children why dad was in jail for 24 hours and why we had to post bail.
His license was suspended for 6 months, so I had to drive him to and from work (he retained his job) for about 5 of those months. The judge did rule that he could drive himself only to and from work for the last month of his suspension.
He was sentenced to 40 hours of public service.
He was required to attend alcohol evaluation and counseling.
He was fined several thousand dollars.
He had to pay his attorney.

I don't think the punishment was harsh enough. Why? Because you know what he did the day he got his license reinstated? He drove himself to a bar to celebrate. He came home stumbling drunk (did not get caught, though, so that's ok, right?)

What I wish the judge had sentenced him to was some time in prison and mandatory treatment. He was a charmer, though, and convinced the judge he did not have a problem and this was a "one time thing".

The only good news is he never killed anyone.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:49 AM

3,515 posts, read 4,359,928 times
Based on what the OP posted as consequences, for the average DUI, it is hardly life-ruining. Expensive and extremely inconvenient? Yep.

I do know someone's whose life was altered because she got a DUI. She lost her CDL. Forever.

I wonder how many times this OP got behind the wheel with a .08 or higher blood alcohol level before he got caught?

Old 01-24-2015, 08:55 AM

8,108 posts, read 4,454,981 times
yes, so don't drink and drive. the laws are design to create fear of getting caught, so don't drink and drive, period

Old 01-24-2015, 08:59 AM

13,720 posts, read 24,623,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
It's not hard to end up DUI level, especially for women. For me, one drink will put me over. I think there should be tiers of consequences depending on how much over the limit you are, whether it's a first or repeat offense, and whether there was any damage.
One drink will put your BAC at 0.08% (the legal level in most states)? Do you weigh 50 lbs?

You may be impaired with one drink based on your physiology, but you would not be legally drunk with one drink.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:02 AM

8,382 posts, read 5,030,059 times
Quote:
Seriously. Financially ruined is just the start. There should absolutely be stiff consequences but I feel we have gone too far. Harsh feel good laws from MADD that don't stop the problem, just produce revenue and make peoples lives miserable. The punishment in many states (like here in AZ) does not fit the crime IMO.

In many states you are looking at losing thousands in fines and future insurance increases. Not to mention the cost if you choose to hire an attorney. Also, possible jail time, loss of license or months, and some other requirements. Many people lose their jobs. Or they can't get a job because of a background check. Their entire life is turned upside down... and these are often otherwise good normal people. Not alcoholics, just regular folks who may not even drink alcohol often.... just made one poor choice to drive after drinking.

A first time offender, run-of-the-mill DUI (no accident, injury) makes one bad decision and his/her life is in pieces. I have no sympathy for people who don't learn from their mistakes... but I do believe there should be a second chance and empathy barring no extreme injury or accident was caused.
By this time, everyone in the US should know EXACTLY how serious drinking and driving is. Anyone who CHOOSES to still go out and do so will get no sympathy from most people.

The fact that no one was injured or killed and no property was damaged is just good fortune in many cases. Deaths that are preventable, but are not because of lax laws are a stain on our society. The serious consequences of a DUI seem appropriate to me.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:18 AM

11,366 posts, read 7,412,439 times
Quote:
Seriously. Financially ruined is just the start. There should absolutely be stiff consequences but I feel we have gone too far. Harsh feel good laws from MADD that don't stop the problem, just produce revenue and make peoples lives miserable. The punishment in many states (like here in AZ) does not fit the crime IMO.

In many states you are looking at losing thousands in fines and future insurance increases. Not to mention the cost if you choose to hire an attorney. Also, possible jail time, loss of license or months, and some other requirements. Many people lose their jobs. Or they can't get a job because of a background check. Their entire life is turned upside down... and these are often otherwise good normal people. Not alcoholics, just regular folks who may not even drink alcohol often.... just made one poor choice to drive after drinking.

A first time offender, run-of-the-mill DUI (no accident, injury) makes one bad decision and his/her life is in pieces. I have no sympathy for people who don't learn from their mistakes... but I do believe there should be a second chance and empathy barring no extreme injury or accident was caused.
We should wake up all the dead people who were granted that status by someone who was driving drunk for the first time.
They probably have an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics