U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:56 AM

21,498 posts, read 26,102,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Good guh-rief, that's crazy!
Scary, isn't it?

Reference is in this post:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/38156185-post137.html

Old 01-26-2015, 12:36 PM

726 posts, read 664,332 times
Well tough ****ing ****. Don't endanger someone's life by attempting to drunkenly pilot a 1 ton bomb at 60 mph. Road accidents are about the only real risk we have these days of dying a gruesome death so the rules can never be too strict.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:13 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,894,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
My point is the consequences are too harsh in most states for a DUI causing no injury or accident. Not an extreme case where someone was twice or three times the legal limit. I'm talking a run-of-the-mill first time DUI arrest.

But I do believe the punishment should be harsh for people who get two or three DUI's. As obviously they have not learned their lesson. But for your average Joe or Jane getting a DUI should not, IMO, throw their lives upside down. They should not possibly lose their job and go into debt etc.

Have some empathy for regular people who make one poor decision, jeezus. The DUI laws in this country (most states) reek of a money grabbing scam. Simply feel good laws pushed by MADD to destroy peoples lives. It makes me sick. Good people make mistakes... they make poor decisions. But people have this self-righteous holier-than-thou attitude about this. As I said, with no accident or injury lets give people a second chance and an opportunity to learn from their poor decision. Shaking them down for money and making their life more difficult going forward is not the solution. A more reasonable fine and punishment is.
There is no run-of-the-mill DUI arrest. If you blow drunk you are drunk. If you refuse to blow the meter you are arrested and taken to jail. You are arrested if you blow drunk anyway so there is no winning.

The guy/gal who suffers the worst is the one who drinks a solitary alcoholic beverage at an annual Christmas party and gets popped on the way home. It may be the only time said person drinks all year but society has deemed that person guilty because of others who drive drunk and kill people. Fair? They had the choice not to drive. "Just this once" is not an excuse I have seen work out in court.

What if you make a poor decision and kill ONE person by any means possible? Should you receive some lenience for the fact it was just ONE murder?

Society has deemed DUI to be a crime and legislators have answered in response. It was a feel good movement by groups such as MADD. There are several such groups, at present, who would like to repeal the 2A...how do you feel toward that?

The penalty for getting caught DUI is a pretty strong deterrent for a lawful citizen; lot's of people don't care and drive drunk all the time or even after losing their license. A deterrent is supposed to hurt - too bad they don't apply and uphold them when other crimes are concerned. A thief can get out in a year while a guy in jail for DUI can do 3. Remember that when you vote.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:13 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,025,365 times
closed by request
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics