U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2015, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica, Ca
5,734 posts, read 3,181,106 times
Reputation: 13454

Advertisements

I had a 14 year old friend who was killed by a drunk driver... Total innocent. It's all fun and games until someone loses their life. The consequences for a DUI are NOTHING in comparison.

 
Old 01-23-2015, 07:44 PM
 
917 posts, read 968,396 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
I can agree with this. I think many of us take for granted how dangerous alcohol is.... and the country would be a much safer place without. I personally stopped drinking it recently. But respect others rights to do so.



I don't blame you for having no sympathy if he screwed up 3 times. He hasn't learned his lesson but I would hope you would have some sympathy after the 1st DUI (assuming no injury to others)

People screw up sometimes. We're humans. If nobody was hurt, people deserve a second chance without having their record tarnished and bank account emptied. A more reasonable punishment and education/prevention. But of course DUI legislation is propelled by MADD and welcomed by money hungry government. It doesn't seem like it's about safety and prevention. More about money and self-righteousness and that's what I have a problem with.
I agree that it can hurt a person financially but I guess it's just part of the consequences. I had a few traffic violations when I was younger (when I first started to drive) & they def put a dent in my wallet
 
Old 01-23-2015, 07:47 PM
 
11,780 posts, read 8,207,985 times
Reputation: 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well they are in the state of Florida where you live. It's a joke there. There were two incidents in the Tampa area where drunk drivers killed people, one case was a young mother, the other the driver hit and killed two college students walking. One driver got 13yrs, the other 12.

For killing people.

Other states have much harsher penalties.
That isn't that lenient. The premeditated, intentional killing of someone will only get you 20 yrs (min) in some states. Murder 2 in FL starts at 16 yrs and those guys got nearly that much time.
 
Old 01-23-2015, 07:50 PM
 
687 posts, read 652,843 times
Reputation: 2243
Yes, they are meant to destroy one's life.

While I'm against the heavy hand of the government we currently live in (the police state, the over-zealous courts, the private for-profit prisons, etc) I consider driving drunk no different than attempted murder.

You might not kill someone the first time you drink and drive, or the second, or the hundredth, but you will eventually do it. Why should I have to share a public road with you, which my tax dollars pay for, while you can't see straight?

So are DUI laws meant to destroy one's life? Well what do you call what happens when you drunkenly hit a fellow driver or a pedestrian and shatter their spinal cord?
 
Old 01-23-2015, 07:59 PM
 
11,780 posts, read 8,207,985 times
Reputation: 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
Yes, they are meant to destroy one's life.

While I'm against the heavy hand of the government we currently live in (the police state, the over-zealous courts, the private for-profit prisons, etc) I consider driving drunk no different than attempted murder.

You might not kill someone the first time you drink and drive, or the second, or the hundredth, but you will eventually do it. Why should I have to share a public road with you, which my tax dollars pay for, while you can't see straight?

So are DUI laws meant to destroy one's life? Well what do you call what happens when you drunkenly hit a fellow driver or a pedestrian and shatter their spinal cord?
Attempted murder? Now that does sound excessive. Allegedly, texting while driving is 6x more dangerous than drunk driving.

SAPVoice: It Is Time For A 'Parental Control, No Texting While Driving' Phone - Forbes
 
Old 01-23-2015, 08:03 PM
MJ7
 
6,221 posts, read 8,191,806 times
Reputation: 6487
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Attempted murder? Now that does sound excessive. Allegedly, texting while driving is 6x more dangerous than drunk driving.

SAPVoice: It Is Time For A 'Parental Control, No Texting While Driving' Phone - Forbes
I think the only real answer to these two problems (DUI and texting) is better public transportation. People aren't going to stop drinking and driving or texting and driving, so why not make them safer to do for everyone?
 
Old 01-23-2015, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
519 posts, read 626,179 times
Reputation: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That doesn't sound excessive. 90 day suspension, $250 fine, and a day in jail (which you would probably spend anyway since you would go to jail after the arrest)
Actually I misquoted there. Over $1500 in fines plus other fees... absolutely ridiculous. Plus minimum time in jail. This has to be the worst state to get a DUI... and I've read sources confirming that AZ has the harshest DUI laws in the nation.

"Simple" Misdemeanor DUI 1st Offense

Minimum Penalties

  • 24 hours in jail (10 days in jail with 9 suspended)
  • $1,510.50 fines and assessments
  • Alcohol and drug evaluation fee and counseling ($50 evaluation plus counseling fees)
  • MADD Victim Impact Panel
  • 90 day license suspension
  • Ignition Interlock Device
  • Jail & court fees
The statute calls for 10 days in jail with up to 9 days being suspended if a defendant completes a court ordered alcohol or other drug screening, education or treatment program. A.R.S. 28-1381(I)(1) ; A.R.S. 28-1381(J). A defendant must serve 1 day in jail first. The suspended days to be served if a defendant fails to complete the alcohol eductioin or treatment program.
If the court orders more than one day to be served, the defendant may be eligible for home detention after serving one day in jail. A.R.S. 11-459.
Defendants must do alcohol screening and pay to get license / privlege to drive reinstated after the end of the suspension.
If the incident date occurred on or after January 1, 2012, the a defendant may be eligible for early termination of the ignition interlock requirement after 6 months if they have successfully completed their alcohol education program.


Penalties For Tucson and Pima County Misdemeanor DUI
 
Old 01-23-2015, 08:09 PM
 
Location: USA
2,431 posts, read 1,795,485 times
Reputation: 3818
I know someone that killed someone while driving drunk now serving 5-15yrs. Not worth it to get behind the wheel. The ones that do will eventually get caught
 
Old 01-23-2015, 08:17 PM
 
11,780 posts, read 8,207,985 times
Reputation: 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I think the only real answer to these two problems (DUI and texting) is better public transportation. People aren't going to stop drinking and driving or texting and driving, so why not make them safer to do for everyone?
Probably. Chicago has a pretty decent system and most of our nightlife is at least close to a train station.
 
Old 01-23-2015, 08:18 PM
MJ7
 
6,221 posts, read 8,191,806 times
Reputation: 6487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
Actually I misquoted there. Over $1500 in fines plus other fees... absolutely ridiculous. Plus minimum time in jail. This has to be the worst state to get a DUI... and I've read sources confirming that AZ has the harshest DUI laws in the nation.

"Simple" Misdemeanor DUI 1st Offense

Minimum Penalties

  • 24 hours in jail (10 days in jail with 9 suspended)
  • $1,510.50 fines and assessments
  • Alcohol and drug evaluation fee and counseling ($50 evaluation plus counseling fees)
  • MADD Victim Impact Panel
  • 90 day license suspension
  • Ignition Interlock Device
  • Jail & court fees
The statute calls for 10 days in jail with up to 9 days being suspended if a defendant completes a court ordered alcohol or other drug screening, education or treatment program. A.R.S. 28-1381(I)(1) ; A.R.S. 28-1381(J). A defendant must serve 1 day in jail first. The suspended days to be served if a defendant fails to complete the alcohol eductioin or treatment program.
If the court orders more than one day to be served, the defendant may be eligible for home detention after serving one day in jail. A.R.S. 11-459.
Defendants must do alcohol screening and pay to get license / privlege to drive reinstated after the end of the suspension.
If the incident date occurred on or after January 1, 2012, the a defendant may be eligible for early termination of the ignition interlock requirement after 6 months if they have successfully completed their alcohol education program.


Penalties For Tucson and Pima County Misdemeanor DUI
It's all up to the judge, different judge different sentence and different plea. Typically plea bargains are off the table for DUI. If it is a first offense you will get the lesser of sentencing most of the time. That usually means zero dollar fine, 16-40 hrs community service, DWI class and 12 months probation, no interlock, and if license suspension then occupational license. I've known too many people that have had DUIs to know the ins and outs of the process from their word of mouth. And yes, I have also heard the AZ DUI laws are stricter compared to other states. However, some cities and states have a zero tolerance law, where even blowing under 0.05% could land you a conviction.

Last edited by MJ7; 01-23-2015 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top