U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 10:35 PM

6,317 posts, read 4,449,392 times

Advertisements

OP,

Yes, i personally think that the laws are too strict in *some* places for first time offenders. This is the outcome of DARE, SADD and MADD, etc. The point was to get the public to agree on something (ie, "drugs are bad") and away from real and more pressing issues in society.

My aunt, who I loved very much, was killed by a drunk driver out of country and this does not change my opinion.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:46 PM

22,184 posts, read 11,480,579 times
Drunks going the wrong way on the highway and killing people.
Running over people and taking off while they lay and die in the street.

Any laws that keep drunks off the road are fine with me!

Old 01-23-2015, 10:59 PM

11,780 posts, read 8,220,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Really? Someone better tell that to the 23 yr old guy who drove drunk and killed 3 people in Anaheim, CA.

He got 51 yrs. Will be eligible for parole after 49 yrs served.

That's just one example.

And unlike FL it didn't take 3yrs to bring him to trial. It was done within a year.

I have lived in both states, there is a big difference in CA vs. FL when it comes to road safety in general.

While CA is liberal on certain issues, driving impaired and killing people isn't one of them.
Something else was in play in that case like previous DWI's. By statute the max is 10 years and that is for gross negligence. The min you can get in CA is a misdemeanor and 1 yr county jail. CA does have what is called a Watson rule, but that requires the prosecution to prove what you were doing would normally cause death (ex: shooting a gun) and to prove your state of mind at the time of the incident.

3 yrs
Woman sentenced for fatal DUI crash - News - DesertDispatch.com - Barstow, CA

4 yrs
Man gets 4 years in prison for vehicle death - Appeal-Democrat: News

9 yrs, 2 deaths
Anaheim Man Sentenced to Nine Years in Prison for Deadly Drunk Driving Crash | NBC Southern California

10 years
Fresno man sentenced to 10 years for DUI crash that killed Buchanan grad | Crime | FresnoBee.com

10 years
Palm Desert Man Gets 10 Years in Prison for Deadly DUI Crash Outside Coachella | Palm Desert, CA Patch

6 years
St. Helena cook gets 6 years in prison for fatal DUI crash

Old 01-23-2015, 11:18 PM

22,184 posts, read 11,480,579 times
DUI Laws In Other Countries:

http://rapsinews.com/legislation_mm/...265720189.html

Old 01-23-2015, 11:18 PM

2,034 posts, read 3,533,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
Seriously. Financially ruined is just the start. There should absolutely be stiff consequences but I feel we have gone too far. Harsh feel good laws from MADD that don't stop the problem, just produce revenue and make peoples lives miserable. The punishment in many states (like here in AZ) does not fit the crime IMO.

In many states you are looking at losing thousands in fines and future insurance increases. Not to mention the cost if you choose to hire an attorney. Also, possible jail time, loss of license or months, and some other requirements. Many people lose their jobs. Or they can't get a job because of a background check. Their entire life is turned upside down... and these are often otherwise good normal people. Not alcoholics, just regular folks who may not even drink alcohol often.... just made one poor choice to drive after drinking.

A first time offender, run-of-the-mill DUI (no accident, injury) makes one bad decision and his/her life is in pieces. I have no sympathy for people who don't learn from their mistakes... but I do believe there should be a second chance and empathy barring no extreme injury or accident was caused.
More people are killed the Drivers under the influence than are killed by armed robbers ~ does that mean we need to lower the penalty for armed robbers? Your DUI puts you right at the same level or higher as far as I'm concerned. You are just lucky you got away so cheaply.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:35 PM

259 posts, read 247,623 times
Years ago I was hit by a drunk driver. He ran through a red light at about 50 mph and hit me broadside. My car spun around 1.5x and I blacked out. Got very lucky because my car was hit just past the door on the driver's side fender. Was told later that it likely would've been fatal had the impact been about a foot back at my door. I only had a big head gash and shoulder surgery - so was very fortunate.

I did go to the wrecking yard to see my car, and could barely recognize the hunk of crumpled metal they pulled me out of. Also went to the court because I wanted to be present and testify at any hearing. The driver was an engineer who had had a few drinks with his buddies after work, and both his night and mine nearly had a tragic ending. As it was, he got a lot of fines, a weekend in jail, and the DUI on his record for 10 years. I had surgery.

Just because someone doesn't cause an accident/injury/death, doesn't mean being out in public recklessly endangering innocent people with a multi-ton weapon isn't gravely serious. A meaningful penalty for that seems appropriate.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:29 AM

29,633 posts, read 31,957,040 times
There is drunk driving and there is DRUNK DRIVING and everyone knows it. Levels. We now look for people and bust them at levels so low they aren't going to be driving the wrong way on a freeway. You can argue that their reflexes might be a little slower but I'd challenge that and say there are a million other things more dangerous than that and no punishment is issued at all. Most people don't care because they won't have their life ruined for eating a hamburger while driving, but they probably should.

Drunk driving is a whipping boy for society, a place to focus the hate and turn up the heat and yes, it has become ridiculous in a lot of cases. On the other hand I have seen a change in one generation and now young people are more likely to drink at home than while out with friends. And of course Uber found it's niche. There is only so far you can go though, there will not be 100% elimination of anything so it's probably time to look at those hamburgers.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:52 AM

11,835 posts, read 7,723,311 times
DUI laws in America is a joke. You get locked up for 1-2, they take your license but it doesn't stop you from going home and taking the keys of another car and go out drink and drive again.

Repeat DUI offenders is proof that the system doesn't work until somebody gets killed. In many cases the deceased victims have even less rights than the DUI offender.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:59 AM

519 posts, read 627,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes is lenient. In CA many have gotten life when DUI involves death.

In both cases I mentioned it took close to 3yrs for the trial, the ones who did the killing were out and about.

FL is a joke in general when it comes to crime. Unless of course someone gets caught with a bag of weed, than you're looking at hard time.

There is another case in FL where a guy has driven drunk twice and killed people both times. First time he got off scott free, second time he did it he had a car stopped at traffic light that killed all 3 passengers.

That is some state.
Maybe other crimes their lenient but Florida is no joke on DUI's... as this site claims Florida has the second toughest DUI laws in the country. Right behind my home state of Arizona... both states have gone too far.

While Pennsylvania, Montana, and Rhode Island are more reasonable with their punishment and don't believe in ruining peoples lives for a first time offender. I applaud these states for not allowing MADD to lobby and implement feel good laws that do little to prevent drunk driving. I've been to all three states... Rhode Island was a blip on the way to Boston but Pennsylvania (Philadelphia area) and Montana (Glacier National Patk/Kalispell area) are both nice states (end random spheel)

States in the U.S. with the Most Strict DUI Laws Vs the Most Lenient State DUI Laws - HG.org

Old 01-24-2015, 01:04 AM

16,531 posts, read 17,592,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
Seriously. Financially ruined is just the start. There should absolutely be stiff consequences but I feel we have gone too far. Harsh feel good laws from MADD that don't stop the problem, just produce revenue and make peoples lives miserable. The punishment in many states (like here in AZ) does not fit the crime IMO.

In many states you are looking at losing thousands in fines and future insurance increases. Not to mention the cost if you choose to hire an attorney. Also, possible jail time, loss of license or months, and some other requirements. Many people lose their jobs. Or they can't get a job because of a background check. Their entire life is turned upside down... and these are often otherwise good normal people. Not alcoholics, just regular folks who may not even drink alcohol often.... just made one poor choice to drive after drinking.

A first time offender, run-of-the-mill DUI (no accident, injury) makes one bad decision and his/her life is in pieces. I have no sympathy for people who don't learn from their mistakes... but I do believe there should be a second chance and empathy barring no extreme injury or accident was caused.

At any time they could of made the decision to call a cab instead of getting behind the wheel.

One of my friends was caught DUI. now he was a first time offender. But I know PLENTY of times he drove home drunk. So yes he was a first time offender but not a first time DUI. It just happened to be the first time he got caught. After he got done I can tell you one thing. This guy hands his keys over or let's his wife drive. And this was a guy that before wouldn't hand his keys over if his life depended on it drunk or not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics