Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 09:40 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,162 times

Advertisements

I have no sympathy for someone who CHOOSES to place other people's lives in danger . A drunk driver nearly killed my wife a few years ago . It was his third offense in 10 yrs . Fifth offense in his lifetime . The law should have kept his dumb ass off of the streets and saved us a lot of heartache and expense . Obviously he needs help but the system didn't provide help nor punisnment .

Old 01-25-2015, 09:50 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I agree--the laws have gone too far and are way too severe. Where are the 'Mothers Against Cellphone Talking Drivers,' 'Mothers Against Distracted Drivers,' 'Mothers Against Texting Drivers'???

Last week, the local cops had a DUI checkpoint on a busy thoroughfare at 7 pm on a Friday night. Rush hour traffic was back up for miles. It was idiotic.

Driving while Texting Six Times More Dangerous than Driving while Drunk
Texting while driving is illegal in most states, as is distracted driving. Many states allow talking on hands free only. Some don't even allow that I think.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:50 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Texting while driving is illegal in most states, as is distracted driving. Many states allow talking on hands free only. Some don't even allow that I think.
When the car in front of you suddenly begins to slow and to drift in their lane then you just know they are using their phone.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:12 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,605 times
The punishment doesn't fit the crime, you're right. Driving drunk kills many innocent people every year, people who cannot get their life back and who did nothing to deserve their fate. If you drive drunk and get caught you should have your life taken away in some form or another. It's so easy to avoid doing it, there is zero excuse for it.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:33 AM

214 posts, read 281,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I agree--the laws have gone too far and are way too severe. Where are the 'Mothers Against Cellphone Talking Drivers,' 'Mothers Against Distracted Drivers,' 'Mothers Against Texting Drivers'???

Last week, the local cops had a DUI checkpoint on a busy thoroughfare at 7 pm on a Friday night. Rush hour traffic was back up for miles. It was idiotic.

Driving while Texting Six Times More Dangerous than Driving while Drunk

(shrug) Idiotic to you... saved another dude or a couple people's lives that night. Trust me they caught a good amount of idiots at that checkpoint. Did the job. Especially at 7pm on a Friday night when people are just starting to get liqoured up for the night on the weekend. Just be glad they didn't do it at REAL rush hour time. 3pm -6pm work traffic. Going home.

And one kills just as much as the other. The drunks just kill a little more... avg. 10.000 deaths drunk driving a year... 3,000 texting. All idiots texting and drinking and driving need to be thrown in a box or on a island so they can go ahead and run into each other on the streets all they want. It's not a contest to see who kills more. They're both killing. No point to what you said.

Last edited by underated9; 01-25-2015 at 11:42 AM..

Old 01-25-2015, 11:36 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
I'd still be curious to hear from Bruce Jackpot and have him detail how his arrest went and all of the other issues it has caused him for driving under the influence

Old 01-25-2015, 11:42 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

An anecdote from Germany:

How To Germany - DUI - Not a Good Thing
I wish everyone would read this. Especially lawmakers. This is how it needs to be in America. Drunk drivers have the right to quit drinking and driving. They have no other rights.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:46 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
Default Still doing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
So it's still legal to use your phone while driving most places? It's been illegal here in California for a long time.
The cops set up a checkpoint in Lumby, BC where there's a Tolko mill and not much else, and being it's a get into the bush road eastbound not used a lot other than by locals. Was there a driver through the checkpoint that WASN'T consuming alcohol?? That's what it seemed like.

In this small town there isn't a teenbop NOT texting "avec" driving.
"It's all about me".

Old 01-25-2015, 11:47 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
So it's still legal to use your phone while driving most places? It's been illegal here in California for a long time.
Florida should be called the 'illogical state.'

The FL legislature is a group of backward thinkers from the stone age. They have routinely voted down any cellphone restrictions, included texting, in addition to not allowing a law to have the left lane on interstate a passing lane. When libraries and government buildings banned guns, the state forced them to allow it (because everyone needs a gun in the library--right?).

They finally made texting while driving an offense, but only a secondary offense. You can't be stopped for it--it is only an offense if they catch you doing it after being stopped for something else. In other words--it's still pretty much allowed.

The statute itself hardly bans it at all.

Chapter 316 Section 305 - 2013 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

Old 01-25-2015, 11:48 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
I was hit head on and almost killed by a drunk driver with a .25 BAC. I have never had more than a speeding violation, much less a DUI. You might think I would be for throwing the book at drunk drivers. I am not.

I agree that the DUI laws have become draconian, mostly because of MADD. MADD also was behind the legislation that raised the legal age to drink to 21 in most states - by doing an end-run on linking it to highway funds, thus avoiding Constitutional scrutiny. That means that anyone from age 18 to 21 is in legal limbo, where they are legal adults subject to all adult laws, but because of their class are DENIED the rights of other adults. If the age of majority had been raised to 21, I would see no problem. However, the laws that disallowed citizens their rights opened a Pandora's box for other laws that assaulted the rights of citizens. I loath MADD for putting their special interest ahead of the Constitution.

Over the years, DUI has changed from a .10 BAC to a .8 BAC or less in many states. It is easy to politicians to bend to the will of those who would "protect" society at the expense of ANY minority. Governments always want more control, more money, and fewer freedoms.

Cellphone use has been shown to be MORE dangerous than DUI, but because the majority of offenders are politically connected (or politicians) and there is no religious mania driving for intense punitive damages as occur with alcohol, it gets a pass or disproportionately small fines.

Simply put, the current laws lost most of their rhyme and reason years ago and are unfair and unjust. The real answer lies in a total revamp of the transportation system away from driver controlled cars. It will come, but at its own cost.

In the meantime, buy a dash cam (available for under $50) and drive safe. In many states if you are even partially responsible for an accident your claim for damages or suffering are reduced or eliminated. You literally cannot afford to NOT have a dash cam these days. However, it WILL show if you are driving while impaired or distracted, so if you tend to drive irresponsibly, it will show that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics