Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 02:21 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
Strong assumption . Never have. For the record, I rarely drank (outside of college years) and recently decided against it altogether. Because I'm arguing against the DUI laws I must have a drinking problem .

When you "recently" decided to stop drinking did a dwi have anything to do with it?

Old 01-25-2015, 02:33 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
When I see "I have zero sympathy" I read "zero tolerance" which everyone knows is ridiculous at all levels. I'm sorry folks, there are always grey areas, not everyone who drinks is drunk either. You want to punish the bad guys and don't care who else get caught in the net and I would say I have zero sympathy for you but I'm not that ridiculous.

Making it a mandatory death sentence still won't get you to zero, you do realize that right? Criminals, or people who don't give a crap, don't give a crap about laws either. I wish people would wake up to that fact.

We need logical DUI laws that are applied correctly. I doubt we will ever get that though since it's emotional people, and greedy people, and ambitious people, calling the shots. Not logic.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:38 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Hey Bruce, sorry this happened to you.

I had a DUI in 1980...when the penalties were much lighter. I did have to attend alcohol treatment classes though. You probably will also and I have a tip for you. DO NOT argue with those people! Figure out what they want you to say, and SAY IT. You will get out of their program quicker if you do.

In my case (in Virginia), they obviously wanted us to admit that we were alcoholics. So, I admitted it even though I certainly was not. The folks that argued that they were not alcoholics were deemed to be "in denial", as they put it...and had to undergo "further treatment". The most vehement of them were still in the program months after I was released.

Anyway, my DUI was such a PITA, even back then, that I never drove again after drinking a drop of alcohol, not once, not ever. It's just not worth it. About 20 years ago, I just got tired of the bar scene and drinking in general and haven't had a drink since.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:41 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Same for people who are texting? More people are killed due to texting than drinking.

How about an elderly person who goes down the wrong side of the road because he/she is confused by a roundabout (yes, I have seen it happen) and kills someone? Jail for the rest of their life?

How about a mother who is distracted by a crying child in the back of the car and has an accident. Jail time too?
The more people killed by texting applies to teenagers:

Study: Texting while driving now leading cause of death for teen drivers - Newsday

Texting While Driving Vs. Drunk Driving: Which Is More Dangerous? - Brain Injury Society

9,296 drunk driving deaths in 2011
3,331 distracted driving deaths in 2011

However, the talk about other causes of traffic fatalities (and injuries) is a deflection from the issue of drunk driving. Yes, we need penalties for driving and texting. That does not mean there should be fewer penalties for drunk driving.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:55 PM

518 posts, read 871,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
When you "recently" decided to stop drinking did a dwi have anything to do with it?
Yes. I rarely drank to begin with, but the DUI arrest made it easy and best to stop altogether and forever. I won't miss drinking alcohol as it was never something I used regularly to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
When I see "I have zero sympathy" I read "zero tolerance" which everyone knows is ridiculous at all levels. I'm sorry folks, there are always grey areas, not everyone who drinks is drunk either. You want to punish the bad guys and don't care who else get caught in the net and I would say I have zero sympathy for you but I'm not that ridiculous.

Making it a mandatory death sentence still won't get you to zero, you do realize that right? Criminals, or people who don't give a crap, don't give a crap about laws either. I wish people would wake up to that fact.

We need logical DUI laws that are applied correctly. I doubt we will ever get that though since it's emotional people, and greedy people, and ambitious people, calling the shots. Not logic.
In most shates the ship has sailed and DUI laws have become too much of a money makes and whipping boy that I don't see them ever changing. Only getting harsher and more unjust.

However, I posted Pennsylvania's DUI laws a few pages back and, IMO, they are logical and reasonable. Somewhat light first offense, but they hit you hard for a 2nd or 3rd DUI. To me, that is fair and reasonable.

I want to personally shake those particular lawmakers hands in Pennsylvania for not attempting to implement unjust laws against their residents

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Hey Bruce, sorry this happened to you.

I had a DUI in 1980...when the penalties were much lighter. I did have to attend alcohol treatment classes though. You probably will also and I have a tip for you. DO NOT argue with those people! Figure out what they want you to say, and SAY IT. You will get out of their program quicker if you do.

In my case (in Virginia), they obviously wanted us to admit that we were alcoholics. So, I admitted it even though I certainly was not. The folks that argued that they were not alcoholics were deemed to be "in denial", as they put it...and had to undergo "further treatment". The most vehement of them were still in the program months after I was released.

Anyway, my DUI was such a PITA, even back then, that I never drove again after drinking a drop of alcohol, not once, not ever. It's just not worth it. About 20 years ago, I just got tired of the bar scene and drinking in general and haven't had a drink since.
Thank you for the advice. I was told to be remorseful and stuff too (which I genuinely am).

Old 01-25-2015, 03:07 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
Yes. I rarely drank to begin with, but the DUI arrest made it easy and best to stop altogether and forever. I won't miss drinking alcohol as it was never something I used regularly to begin with.

In most shates the ship has sailed and DUI laws have become too much of a money makes and whipping boy that I don't see them ever changing. Only getting harsher and more unjust.

However, I posted Pennsylvania's DUI laws a few pages back and, IMO, they are logical and reasonable. Somewhat light first offense, but they hit you hard for a 2nd or 3rd DUI. To me, that is fair and reasonable.

I want to personally shake those particular lawmakers hands in Pennsylvania for not attempting to implement unjust laws against their residents

Thank you for the advice. I was told to be remorseful and stuff too (which I genuinely am).

What was your bac?

Old 01-25-2015, 03:14 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,202 times
Can someone explain me please how driving after a few drinks may not be such a big deal after all and can be rationalized? And I would certainly love to know how you could actually drive better after drinks It shouldn't be tolerated IMO so I'd love to know.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:25 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
NY is especially tough. Normally if you are convicted of a non criminal offense infraction like harassment or disorderly conduct the record will be sealed (meaning if the defendant is fingerprinted for a job or license the record will not show up)

however, if youre convicted of a non criminal driving offense like DWAI (driving while ability impaired, less than a .08 BAC) NY will not seal the record. the only difference is that the fines and other punishments are not as harsh as they are with a DWI

Old 01-25-2015, 03:33 PM

its not a big deal when sympathetic family members or friends are trying to make the offender feel better or compare the offender to others who have committed worse crimes or compare drinking and driving to committing a sex offense (having a few drinks is still "socially acceptable" compared to an indiscretion with a minor)

if certain states expunge or seal misdemeanors from people's records after some time perhaps it gives one the idea that a DWI isn't a big deal.

some job applications only ask about crimes of moral turpitude felonies. in that case a misdemeanor DWI may not seem like a big deal

Old 01-25-2015, 03:37 PM

alpha I realize my post probably wasn't very good i just mean that a misdemeanor is more forgiveable and less serious than a felony.

in NY the court system will not report a one time misdemeanor conviction after 10 years on a background check. another example that after awhile its not viewed as a big deal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics