Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 10:25 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

Anyone? And why? It certainly wouldn't be the end of the U.S., as Argentina is still alive, after having defaulted 8 other times, and they always seem to find suckers to buy their junk bonds!

Anyone can think of some of the biggest pluses and minuses to this happening? Would we, perhaps, end up losing an island, or 2, in Hawaii, or Alaska, to the Chinese, as a result of it?

And what kind of austerity measures (some for the good of the country?) might we be facing, as a result of it, and which austerity measures would you favor?

This has never been a big worry of mine. For sure, we'd probably be forgiven for the first time we did it, and the 2nd time, perhaps not so forgiving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 10:29 PM

319 posts, read 303,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Anyone? And why? It certainly wouldn't be the end of the U.S., as Argentina is still alive, after having defaulted 8 other times!

Anyone can think of some of the biggest pluses and minuses to this happening? Would we, perhaps, end up losing an island, or 2, in Hawaii, or Alaska, to the Chinese, as a result of it?

And what kind of austerity measures (some for the good of the country?) might we be facing, as a result of it?

This has never been a big worry of mine. For sure, we'd probably be forgiven for the first time we did it, and the 2nd time, perhaps not so forgiving?
I want to see them try to take a piece of us.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:07 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
I'm looking forward to having a thriving economy after China takes us over.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:15 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
The United States can only default if it chooses to. All it's "debt" is issued in its own currency. (No country can "force" the U.S. into default)

Let me know when you awaken from your dream.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:28 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
The USA owns very little foreign denominated debt. I think the OP means foreign owned US debt. And we have zero reason to default on it.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:48 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
UMMMMMM, why and how would the USA default?????????

Can't the USA always pay-off our debtors with the UNLIMITED dollars that
can be printed/electronically-allocated at will????????????????

When someone is owed money by the USA, they are going to get DOLLARS as payment....not silver, not gold, not priceless art, not property.................US DOLLARS IS THEIR REIMBURSEMENT!

Old 02-12-2015, 04:54 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
The United States can only default if it chooses to. All it's "debt" is issued in its own currency. (No country can "force" the U.S. into default)

Let me know when you awaken from your dream.

It's always funny when people don't understand this

Old 02-17-2015, 06:51 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,383,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Anyone? And why? It certainly wouldn't be the end of the U.S., as Argentina is still alive, after having defaulted 8 other times, and they always seem to find suckers to buy their junk bonds!

And what kind of austerity measures (some for the good of the country?) might we be facing, as a result of it, and which austerity measures would you favor?

We can't default. All we have to do is hand them a check. Our debts are valued in our money. So we can't default. Not at the federal level anyway.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:56 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,383,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
The USA owns very little foreign denominated debt. I think the OP means foreign owned US debt. And we have zero reason to default on it.
Not to mention we can't default we can monetize it but not default on it. I'm talking about the publicly head national debt here.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:47 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
U.s debt is denominated in U.s Dollars.

We can always guarantee payment. We just cannot guarantee the value of those payments.

Quote:

This has never been a big worry of mine. For sure, we'd probably be forgiven
for the first time we did it, and the 2nd time, perhaps not so forgiving?
What are they going to do? Invade the U.s mainland?

American hegemony is based on the petro-dollar being the reserve currency. Any attack on the dollar is an attack on the U.s military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics