Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 01:55 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
In this person's situation they could probably just try to move her as a student. That doesn't seem to be so difficult. Then once he gets here he has 4 years or whatever to establish himself and apply for permanent residency or marry someone and get on the fast-track that way.

It honestly doesn't seem that difficult if he has the means to come and study. If you've been on the campus of a major national university you'll know there's students there from all over.
Students? How, if you do not have the economic support given the different tuitions fees? 4 years to apply for permanent residency as a student? That's in my opinion impossible. If he or she goes the working visa route after studies in the US, it's at least 10 years (4 years studies + 2 years master maybe + as many years as the company will consider right in order to begin processing the green card + the actual processing time). Probably more 15 years than 10 even.

So yes, you could get married. How many Americans would like to take foreigners as partners? I mean, cases you mention are statistically rare. I believe there are many foreign students in the US but that does not mean it's easy. It only gives an idea of the attractiveness of the education (maybe).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 02:08 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasDeDeux View Post
Venezuelans and Nigerians? To appease my curiosity, what do they usually come here for? What sort of work? My first thought is that they're in some kind of energy industry. First thought. I could use Google for this, but I thought, I would ask first. What area of expertise/field brings them here? Just curious.
I know quite a few Nigerians/other African immigrants in the Washington DC area, many of whom are scientists, engineers, college professors, diplomats and in similar occupations.

I think Maryland has the most disproportionate number of African immigrants of any state in the U.S.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:22 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,571,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
But why?

Luxury cars, designer clothes, not to mention they tend to reside in the "cool" cities like NYC, LA, Chicago,etc. I feel like they get over to these cities easier than a lot of Americans. Anyone notice this? And why? It is not right.
Just may seem to you that way. You have to consider that most "foreigners" who pull up roots in their own Country, are not the "dregs" of society, for one thing. Education and the attitude the yung have with education, by far supersedes the attitude most American Students have. They don't go to Universities to get out of working for a living, or to have a vacation from home, paid for by Mom and Dad. They go to learn. Look around you, and see who the Doctors, Computer Techs, and the Movers and Shakers are.

In Most Countries, what we are taught as Seniors in High School is 9th or 10th Grade education in their schools. You also don't see their Students shooting up Dorms or Classes, Boozing it up, or raping fellow students. They understand what the word "Work" means, and what the rewards are. The rewards are Luxury Cars and Designer Clothes, if you want them.

As an example, look at the even lower educated foreign workers, like illegal immigrants from Mexico. They work. They work long hours, they work hard, you get a good days work for your money, they are dependable, they rarely take off work for any reason, and will work for a fair wage. That's for starters.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:07 PM

325 posts, read 255,738 times
The successful immigrants I know personally acquired wealth by living frugally in large family groups and either investing in a family business or sending one member through school for a professional degree in a high paying field. The sponsored member is then expected to reciprocate by creating employment opportunities for family, or sponsoring them in their own business endeavors. They are absolutely loyal to one another and work together focused upon a single goal.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:21 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'd say this is mostly accurate. Immigrants in America tend to be in survivalist mode for the majority of their working lives. There is an inherent imperative to achieve success and a feeling that you have no other choice but to do so to the best of your ability. Otherwise, why would you even be here?
Correct. In addition, aside from wanting/needing to succeed, regardless of how idealistic it sounds, some of us DO want to be positive contributors to this society.

We want to be part of what is good, and about what makes the USA an unparalleled place where dreams do often come true.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:29 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,364 times
Quote:
Venezuelans and Nigerians? To appease my curiosity, what do they usually come here for? What sort of work? My first thought is that they're in some kind of energy industry. First thought. I could use Google for this, but I thought, I would ask first. What area of expertise/field brings them here? Just curious.
Nigeria and Venezuela have decent medical schools, so they send lot of doctors over to the USA on J-1 visas.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:33 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
I had an experience about 20 years ago with a young woman from India. She had a nice car, nice clothes, etc. She was a contractor and talked about the glories of doing her taxes and writing everything off. She had money left over to send some back to her family. It's only one example.
Contractors make good money. Why is this a problem?

Old 02-15-2015, 06:45 PM

265 posts, read 534,979 times
Quote:
Likely, they're probably (not always) already fairly well off and/or have in-demand skilled professions that brought them here. Those "cool" cities are world cities. They cater to people that have jobs that are probably connected with a multinational company or something along those lines. These people may have family that have the same skills and resources too. I think some of these people are just really into conspicuous labels,lol! It must be that these people you see have a thing for luxury brands.

I meet a ton of research grad students. In grad school, the population demographics shift. There's so many students from abroad in grad school. Most of the foreign students I meet are from China, South Korea, and India. That's not the case with the undergrad population in college. That's interesting to me.
That is interesting. So you are saying most of the undergrad are American? And fewer Americans are in grad school?

Old 02-15-2015, 09:49 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I'd like to see reference on this..... got a link?
Can't find it right now, but here's this
Hispanics of Venezuelan Origin in the United States, 2011 | Pew Research Center's Hispanic Trends Project

Quote:
Educational attainment. Venezuelans have higher levels of education than the Hispanic population overall and the U.S. population overall. Half (51%) of Venezuelans ages 25 and older—compared with 13% of all U.S. Hispanics and 29% among the U.S. population—have obtained at least a bachelor’s degree.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:16 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The first weekend when California allowed licensing there was a political outreach to get illegal aliens drivers license. A couple of state politicians career's were built on trying to get the law passed. Sort of like the efforts to get people on government health insurance through the affordable Health Care Act instead of other providers

So what? Has nothing do to with the OP's post. Political outreach is fine, priority lines are not.

OP said there was a "priority line" at the DMV for illegals. I have seen no such thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics