Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do higher wages increase productivity?
Yes 29 42.03%
No 29 42.03%
Other 11 15.94%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 11:22 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
One argument I hear in favor of higher minimum wages is that they increase productivity at the workplace. While I am a minimum wage worker I am not so sure about this. I do believe that higher wages probably increase willingness to work for longer to make more money, but working longer is not the same as working better.

This just sounds like a cheap excuse to demand pay raises, honestly. Do you believe a higher wage increases productivity at the workplace? Explain your case whatever your standing.
Tell me about it. It is just a cheap excuse? It is out right illogical. Most liberals here on this board sneer at the concept of productivity so how and why do they want to increase productivity? Since when have liberals considered increasing productivity a benefit? It is almost illogical.

Increasing wage is just that it increases the hourly wage of a worker. It has little to do with productivity.do you think unionized workers somehow work harder and more efficiently and embrace more innovation when their pay better? The reality is quite the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 12:02 AM

21,872 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sandman View Post
I pay my tech workers 24k a year, my accountants 20k a year, my marketers 10 dollars an hour and my sales staff a 1% commission. My profit margins are huge and I get hundreds of resumes every day begging for a job. 50% have college degrees. Half of those are from Top 100 universities and I get quite a few Ivy league grads. Why should I pay millennials more?
Because you could hire them to right troll posts for you

Old 02-23-2015, 01:00 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
related thread

Walmart raising wages and extending benefits.

“We’re strengthening investments in our people to engage and inspire them to deliver superior customer experiences.” - Walmart CEO Doug McMillon

Old 02-23-2015, 01:29 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,732,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sandman View Post
I pay my tech workers 24k a year, my accountants 20k a year, my marketers 10 dollars an hour and my sales staff a 1% commission. My profit margins are huge and I get hundreds of resumes every day begging for a job. 50% have college degrees. Half of those are from Top 100 universities and I get quite a few Ivy league grads. Why should I pay millennials more?
I find the assertion that you can hire "Ivy League Grads" or any college grad for $24K a year highly specious. Are you located in Botswana? Arkansas?

So, if a member of your "sales staff" sells $1,000,00 annually they get a $10,000 yearly wage? Given those sorts of margins, you must have made a fortune off others labors.

Setting aside that I do not believe a word of it, I will still assert that you should not have to pay "millennials" more. A business should pay everyone a living wage, Mr Scrooge.

I would also add that with a forward looking shortage of skilled labor, many businesses may soon be competing to attract the best workers. I think a lot of companies might want to start planning to budget more for compensation.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:30 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,732,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
related thread

Walmart raising wages and extending benefits.

“We’re strengthening investments in our people to engage and inspire them to deliver superior customer experiences.” - Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
It was merely a coincidence that I created that thread before seeing this one!

Walmart is engaged in a real world, large scale "experiment" that may well shine some light on this very issue.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:08 AM

1,160 posts, read 713,746 times
Quote:
One argument I hear in favor of higher minimum wages is that they increase productivity at the workplace. While I am a minimum wage worker I am not so sure about this. I do believe that higher wages probably increase willingness to work for longer to make more money, but working longer is not the same as working better.

This just sounds like a cheap excuse to demand pay raises, honestly. Do you believe a higher wage increases productivity at the workplace? Explain your case whatever your standing.
I'm sure this was addressed but higher minimum wage probably will lead to higher productivity for the company. This does not mean you will be more productive but rather someone who is more productive than you and will take your job....You make 8 bucks an hour, minimum wage is increased to 15...now you have to compete against all those people who were making more than you but less than the new minimum wage...before there were people making $12 an hour who would never do your job but now that the pay increase is there, they be more than willing to make more money doing your job.

My guess is you are under the age of 25 and could not compete against me. I make $14 an hour and probably have considerably more experience and versatility than you based on me being in the work force for a longer period of time, I'm 35, have 8 years in the Army, and 8 years civilian experience. Hell you could probably put helluva lot more effort than me but my efficiency and experience will prove beneficial as I'll probably still get more done with less effort.

Last edited by billydaman; 02-23-2015 at 02:17 AM..

Old 02-23-2015, 04:39 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
Quote:

This is one of the dumbest questions I have ever heard! OF COURSE IT DOES! It gives people an INCENTIVE to work for SOMEONE ELSE! Minimum wages don't increase productivity; ever saw the DEMEANOR of Walmart workers? do they look happy to you? or the fast food folks? THAT is propaganda="make belief" garbage! I am so sick of the general population in America being SO BLINDSIDED to what their experiencing in the work force that I want to throw up.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:09 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,820 times
What increases productivity does not have to do so much with wages as how employees are treated by their employers. If you feel like you are treated well and respected you will want to stay and do well if you are not you will not want to do much and look for another job.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:24 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
What increases productivity does not have to do so much with wages as how employees are treated by their employers. If you feel like you are treated well and respected you will want to stay and do well if you are not you will not want to do much and look for another job.
Part of being treated well means WAGES. People need to be able to support themselves, and forcing people to have more than one job to do so will NEVER increase productivity. That's BS-Capitalist Propaganda.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:42 AM

847 posts, read 1,351,707 times
Simply increasing wages is not a good way to increase productivity but paying by performance is. It's also a way to weed out the lazy and incompetent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics