Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do higher wages increase productivity?
Yes 29 42.03%
No 29 42.03%
Other 11 15.94%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 12:04 PM

876 posts, read 997,008 times

Advertisements

One argument I hear in favor of higher minimum wages is that they increase productivity at the workplace. While I am a minimum wage worker I am not so sure about this. I do believe that higher wages probably increase willingness to work for longer to make more money, but working longer is not the same as working better.

This just sounds like a cheap excuse to demand pay raises, honestly. Do you believe a higher wage increases productivity at the workplace? Explain your case whatever your standing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 12:11 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,499,984 times
no, higher pay normally implies higher skills to me. being productive isn't directly correlated to how skilled someone is. Though being productive means someone get to keep their job longer which returns higher pay over time

Old 02-22-2015, 12:26 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,563,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
One argument I hear in favor of higher minimum wages is that they increase productivity at the workplace.
Most definitely. Higher wages give employers incentive to invest in technology and methods to increase productivity.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:35 PM

876 posts, read 997,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Higher wages give employers incentive to invest in technology and methods to increase productivity.
How so?

Old 02-22-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
How so?
You want to produce a product of service with the least cost. If you have to pay more for human work, then it is in your interest to make their work as productive as possible.

For instance lets say I have a farming operation and I can hire labor for $1/hr because there is no minimum wage or public benefits and there is an excess of labor and people are starving. My incentive to invest in expensive equipment is nil. With labor so cheap I'm better off just having people work with hand tools and labor rather than buy tractors and cultivators. As the cost of labor rises though the equation changes in favor of higher capital investment, which also results in higher aggregate productivity and wealth.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:12 PM

29,694 posts, read 24,763,642 times
Would you cut pay as a way to encourage higher productivity in the workplace?

Common sense stuff here folks...

Old 02-22-2015, 01:18 PM

15,050 posts, read 10,033,697 times
Quote:
One argument I hear in favor of higher minimum wages is that they increase productivity at the workplace. While I am a minimum wage worker I am not so sure about this. I do believe that higher wages probably increase willingness to work for longer to make more money, but working longer is not the same as working better.

This just sounds like a cheap excuse to demand pay raises, honestly. Do you believe a higher wage increases productivity at the workplace? Explain your case whatever your standing.
I believe that increasing minimum wages to meet the cost of the basic necessities required to work a standard work week will increase productivity. A healthy work force equates to a healthy environment and better productivity. A worker who is sick, tired, hungry.. isn't going to be an effective one.

On the other hand, I believe that wages above that should be subject to market and performance. The opportunity to raise one's wages through good work is the primary incentive that should take precedence once the basic needs are met.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:27 PM

The argument you are making is that the same person doing to the same exact job with the same equipment will be more productive if their pay is increased? I'm pretty sure I've seen studies that show that isn't the case. Initially yes, their attitude improves, but it quickly becomes the new normal.

Some companies have successfully used a model where they pay their employees considerably more than the going rate for the industry, but that allows them to be particular and hire the best, and that is why it works (sometimes).

Old 02-22-2015, 01:28 PM

15,050 posts, read 10,033,697 times
Quote:
The argument you are making is that the same person doing to the same exact job with the same equipment will be more productive if their pay is increased?
No that's not the argument I am making.

You also missed this part

Quote:
On the other hand, I believe that wages above that should be subject to market and performance.
Let me clarify..

These two statements are different and incompatible discussions. The single line question in your poll is seems disingenuous because it leaves out the context of minimum wage while your OP includes it.

Quote:
The argument you are making is that the same person doing to the same exact job with the same equipment will be more productive if their pay is increased?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff
One argument I hear in favor of higher minimum wages is that they increase productivity at the workplace.

Last edited by usayit; 02-22-2015 at 01:38 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 01:37 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,954,216 times
Higher wages means less stressed-out, burnt-out employees; means higher quality of work.

Also means less turnover, less wasted time/effort/funds in training, and happier customers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics