Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 06:36 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Hey. Those credits you are complaining about help the generation that will pay your social security benefits and wipe your rear end when you are no longer able. Children are the future for all of us. Get over it.
Finally a good reason to have kids - future butt wipers of America! And let's face it if you need it done, who is quibbling over cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 06:37 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
The federal deduction of state taxes has been in place since the inception of federal income tax in 1913. It has always been there. As others have said, it's there to prevent double-taxation.

Now, rather than whining that residents in some states get a deduction on their federal taxes that you don't get, you can always lobby your local government and ask them to implement a state income tax in your home state. Then you can deduct those taxes from your federal income too.
I'm voting this best answer.

In all seriousness, it is an excellent case for living in a state that acquires revenue through taxes that can be deducted vs. other forms of taxation that are non-deductible. Never thought about it that way until now.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:46 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Finally a good reason to have kids - future butt wipers of America! And let's face it if you need it done, who is quibbling over cost?
Well, that won't benefit me anyway....my long term care insurance is with Smith & Wesson.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:48 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
funny how everyone says that and then scrambles to elder care attorneys to try to rescue them if the time comes they or a spouse need care..

our estate attorney is flooded with cases of folks looking to be rescued as now they need care and don't want to lose assets.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:20 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
If you had ever owned property in any of those places, you would understand. The cost of living is significantly higher in every way. Hawaii, too.

I think people are allowed to deduct some of the costs of a mortgage because it's in our nation's interest that people be homeowners. That why I believe the government's lack of action in averting the mortgage crisis was so egregious. A nation of renters is not a sound idea.
I am a homeowner in Texas and pay lots of property tax. Why does the federal government need to consider the cost of living of where people live. If they really care about this - then they should have a tax code code that considers the city or county where people live.

That idea that the federal government should be creating incentive to be a homeowner is just the kind of behavior modification we should all be appalled by. I believe people should buy a home because they want one and can afford it. There are no other reasons. The federal government should have no role in this.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:21 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
I'm voting this best answer.

In all seriousness, it is an excellent case for living in a state that acquires revenue through taxes that can be deducted vs. other forms of taxation that are non-deductible. Never thought about it that way until now.
Why should the federal government alter the economics of where you choose to live?

Old 03-01-2015, 11:36 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,327,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Why should the federal government alter the economics of where you choose to live?
You live in Texas. You can deduct your property taxes from your federal tax return. It also happens that your property taxes are about double what I pay in property taxes in California for a house of the same value. Using your logic, I could snivel that it's not fair you get to deduct twice as much property tax as me when the value of our homes is equal. I could say they should cap the property tax credit so everyone pays the same.

I won't, because unless you're arguing in favor of a flat tax with no deductions for anyone, then something is going to be perceived as unfair to someone (that "every kid should get a trophy mentality"). The smarter option is to figure out how to make the tax code work for you, instead of obsessing over what the other guy is getting.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:13 PM

15,070 posts, read 10,087,917 times
Interesting.... since Texas has no state income tax.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:25 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,668,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Can anyone explain why a deduction for state taxes exists for federal income taxes?

Why should those that pay state and local taxes be able to deduct them? Why should someone pay less federal tax because they pay income tax in California? Or property tax in New Jersey (or Texas like me)?

We know that for some reason the feds think people with children should pay less tax. And those that have mortgage interest should pay less tax. Buy why state taxes?
It makes sense to me. If I pay state income tax of 10%, then I actually ever possessed only $90 out of every $100 I earned. And by the time other taxes, e.g. property, excise, sales, are deducted, let's say another 20%, then I am required to pay federal income tax only on the $70 (in my fictitious scenario) that I actually possessed to spend in some way of my choosing.

I am happy to not be taxed on my taxes.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:55 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,171,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
The federal deduction of state taxes has been in place since the inception of federal income tax in 1913. It has always been there. As others have said, it's there to prevent double-taxation.

Now, rather than whining that residents in some states get a deduction on their federal taxes that you don't get, you can always lobby your local government and ask them to implement a state income tax in your home state. Then you can deduct those taxes from your federal income too.
It can be quite challenging for some to understand why they can't take a deduction on taxes they don't have to pay.

The most amusing part is that they usually come from tax-benefit, "red" states whose lack of state income tax is directly subsidized by those in states which shoulder the bulk of the tax burden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics