U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2015, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Myrtle Creek, Oregon
11,358 posts, read 11,747,818 times
Reputation: 17725

Advertisements

There is asset hyperinflation. Look at the stock market. Look at farmland prices or timber land prices. $10,000 per acre for a corn farm is insane. Stock prices are insane. Weirdly enough, asset hyperinflation in the US has attracted a lot of foreign investment, resulting in a soaring dollar. What goes up must come down. It looks to be a great time to invest offshore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2015, 11:33 AM
 
8,475 posts, read 3,605,100 times
Reputation: 1657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
There is asset hyperinflation. Look at the stock market. Look at farmland prices or timber land prices. $10,000 per acre for a corn farm is insane. Stock prices are insane. Weirdly enough, asset hyperinflation in the US has attracted a lot of foreign investment, resulting in a soaring dollar. What goes up must come down. It looks to be a great time to invest offshore.
The stock markets have certainly been assisted by QE, but hardly hyper. For instance the DOW has about doubled in 6 years. Heavy gains for sure, and no doubt we will see some correction(s) short/medium term. But this is not hyper territory as conventionally defined. Local land may spike for certain local reasons, but RE and land is not going hyper on any regular basis in most areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2015, 01:16 PM
 
3,792 posts, read 1,810,237 times
Reputation: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
The stock markets have certainly been assisted by QE, but hardly hyper. For instance the DOW has about doubled in 6 years. Heavy gains for sure, and no doubt we will see some correction(s) short/medium term. But this is not hyper territory as conventionally defined. Local land may spike for certain local reasons, but RE and land is not going hyper on any regular basis in most areas.
Asset bubbles. The difference between inflation and a bubble is when assets go up and wages go up assets stay up. When assets go up and wages don't assets correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2015, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Myrtle Creek, Oregon
11,358 posts, read 11,747,818 times
Reputation: 17725
When stocks or farm ground are trading for 20x earnings, that's nuts. It's pure speculation, not reasonable pricing. Caveat emptor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2015, 02:01 PM
 
3,792 posts, read 1,810,237 times
Reputation: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
When stocks or farm ground are trading for 20x earnings, that's nuts. It's pure speculation, not reasonable pricing. Caveat emptor.
Three asset bubbles in 15 years. Pure nuts. We are stupid enough to fall for it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2015, 02:13 PM
 
2,022 posts, read 1,374,011 times
Reputation: 3197
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
We need to be focused on selecting the best immigrants, not denying them access.

This is what the US has always done. We're doing it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2015, 02:17 PM
 
48,519 posts, read 81,880,297 times
Reputation: 17990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
If everyone saves and doesn't spend that is not a good scenario for a consumption and debt based economy as is the USA. Greece is screwed because it doesn't own its currency. It can't fight economic recession, and it sure couldn't fight a war.
Greece is screwed because it spent what it did not produce. In time it lead to elimination of producing much of anything. If one looks we start that trend under Johnson's great society and by time Nixon went off gold standard it was because the dollar was backed by 73 cents in gold. We then started faith in credit in place of money and we saw now that ended with thinking a house not owned was wealth. One has to ask as bad as Japan 's situation is; where would it be if not for japan owing themselves the debt. In long run saving is good as is low debt. That here and how thinking is what got much of the world's economies in the problems they are in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2015, 11:18 PM
 
Location: Ruidoso, NM
5,179 posts, read 4,833,341 times
Reputation: 4206
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That here and how thinking is what got much of the world's economies in the problems they are in.
Follow the money. Some people got insanely rich over the last few decades, and most of them are the ones behind this. As much as they want us to believe the world is a mess because it's run by a bunch of idiots futzing around, it would be naive to think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2015, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Ohio
18,409 posts, read 13,523,878 times
Reputation: 14352
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Because oil prices rose.

Quote:
...many people feared that it would ultimately lead to runaway inflation like the...
I think they meant to say "....many stupid people feared..."


Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
And a good explanation why hyperinflation has occurred in places like Weimar Germany and Zimbabwe and not the US.
A really bad explanation that is wrong.

Is the Zimbabwean Dollar an international reserve currency? An international currency of trade?

In what way is the Zimbabwean monetary system even remotely similar to the US system?

It isn't.

We have a fallacy called False Analogy.

In what way was the Wiemar Republic like the US?

The US lost colonies?

The idiot moron author is too stupid to be aware that Germany had colonies in (West) Africa and in Asia. The French and Brits divvied up Germany's colonies in Africa, while the US and Brits divvied up Germany's colonies in Asia.....that's how the US expanded its colonial holdings in China.



Gee, the Brits, French and US cutting off the Mark and forcing their new colonies to use Francs, Pounds and Dollars kinda created a surplus of Marks, ya think?



The repatriation of Marks back to Germany is what exasperated an already problematic situation with Wage Inflation and Demand-pull Inflation.

Quote:
The first reason, then, why QE did not lead to hyperinflation is because the state of the economy was already deflationary when it began
No, it wasn't, but nice Straw Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
How do so many people not understand what causes inflation?!?!?
Because people like you keep misleading them with false information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Inflation is caused by global energy prices.
Right....global energy prices led to Wage Inflation during WW II causing FDR to levy a Wage & Price Freeze.

Global energy prices led to Wage Inflation during the Nixon Administration causing Nixon to levy a Wage & Price Freeze.

Is that what you're claiming?

What a joke....

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2015, 05:34 PM
 
49,569 posts, read 40,078,735 times
Reputation: 31070
OMG Mircea......destroying the uneducated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top