Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 08:30 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Thanks Gas and KA.

He called recently (and I thought about this thread). It was a plea for gas money to go visit his father who is currently not in jail. I considered it and then this tax thingy and I can't justify it. For monetary and so many other reasons. Boy THAT'S another thread in itself right there! So it's a big NADA on the gas request.

See? You guys are having an influence on me!
I would think the father should front the gas money.........if he is interested in a visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 09:06 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
Momma, while I commend you in trying to do the right thing for your son because he is obviously not doing right by himself even IF he is 22 yrs old, I am VERY worried about your "ace in the hole" strategy of him going into the military when things get bad enough. Honey, I worked with recruits coming into the Air Force for the last 7 yrs of my career and I can tell you that is NOT a great place for him to try and get into. IF he is honest about his "issues", he will be denied. If he lies about his "issues" he will be caught and EPTS discharged (Existed Prior To Service). I PROMISE you the military is not desperate these days (like so many seem think they are) and are actually being selective about who the allow to reenlist. PLEASE help him in another direction vs feeling like his one "ace in the whole" failed him and he is at a total loss....it is obvious you care for your son and are trying to give him some "tough love" which appears needed, but this kind of rejection if this is his "last chance" goal might be enough to bring him to crisis mode......and you really don't want to go there. Better to think he never had to USE his "ace in the whole" than to realize it was not an options if esteem issues might be in play. Wishing you lots of luck, you are both covered in prayers for guidance and good paths, and I only tell you this as a protective mother that would not want her child to feel "hopeless"......

Old 03-07-2015, 09:52 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Paka, Flyperson, you got stuck as a recruiter for 7 frickin years? That sounds like torture.

What "issues" are you talking about? He's been through military programs as a dependent and thrives in them. Not easy ones, either. He's got a unit that wants him now. I tried to talk him into going in at 17! He would be through with is contract and have a job skill by now. I think all citizens should be trained to defend their country. I do agree, not everyone is cut out to be in a warzone.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:07 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
How can you claim a 22 year old? I spend a lot of money on my adult kids too - one of them drives a car I own and I pay car insurance and property tax on that one, I pay cell phone for two of them, I pay for health insurance through my employer for one of them, and that's not to mention all the financial help otherwise with tuition, books and sometimes rent and car payment and student loan payments. But it never occurred to me to claim any of them on my taxes once they were ostensibly on their own, weren't full time students and weren't living with me anymore.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:11 AM

10,742 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
How can you claim a 22 year old? I spend a lot of money on my adult kids too - one of them drives a car I own and I pay car insurance and property tax on that one, I pay cell phone for two of them, I pay for health insurance through my employer for one of them, and that's not to mention all the financial help otherwise with tuition, books and sometimes rent and car payment and student loan payments. But it never occurred to me to claim any of them on my taxes once they were ostensibly on their own, weren't full time students and weren't living with me anymore.
In your situation, you CAN'T claim them as they don't live with you.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:12 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Paka, Flyperson, you got stuck as a recruiter for 7 frickin years? That sounds like torture.

What "issues" are you talking about? He's been through military programs as a dependent and thrives in them. Not easy ones, either. He's got a unit that wants him now. I tried to talk him into going in at 17! He would be through with is contract and have a job skill by now. I think all citizens should be trained to defend their country. I do agree, not everyone is cut out to be in a warzone.
No, I was not a recruiter, but a nurse at the only place BMT'er get medical care. I PROMISE you that if he explains his ankle bracelet requirement, his other issues that you describe as "demons" you will find he is NOT qualified to entire the military. The fact that some "slip thru" being less than honest is true, but the majority of those are "caught" and sent home with F codes...which will create issues for him trying to get ANY type of job. PLEASE realize the military that use to be "like in the 60's when a kid got in trouble and the judge told him "son, it is the army or jail, take your pick" are LONG, LONG gone!!! Please help him look for a path that will be healthy for him and not cause more drama for his life goals/plans in general. While he might have "thrived" in a structured environment, if he is honest on his MEPS physical about arrests, problems, issues, he will not be accepted initially. Better that than costing the military money getting in where there are repercussions for having lied initially on the MEPS physical.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:24 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Did you pay more than $3,000 in cash to or directly for him in 2014?

Old 03-07-2015, 10:31 AM

10,742 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Why would that matter?

Old 03-07-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
In your situation, you CAN'T claim them as they don't live with you.
There's a link in this thread somewhere to an IRS calculator about who can be claimed. Living with you isn't a requirement. I promise. I went on there and plugged in the information.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Me? Oh yeah. At least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics