Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:00 AM

15,036 posts, read 10,005,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
My own experience tells me that most people are too wrapped up in their own lives to pay much attention to what I drive, what I wear, or where I live..
If this were true, the US economy wouldn't be driven primarily by the consumer.

You don't sound like the typical American (a good thing) but it is not hard to see that our culture is primarily a consumer one. My own experience indicates that people are obsessed with other people's lives, what they do, what they drive, what they wear..... Celebrity endorsements, the joneses down the street, the branded products that people show off, the marketing that pushes them. Its a good thing that you don't notice...

Most people I encounter are not directly insulting about how I choose to spend my money, but in conversation you do pick it up. You are probably right in the sense that I'm a bit too observant... it really doesn't bother me but its worth discussing since this is the topic of the thread.

My wife and I had a laugh too. When we had twins, suddenly everyone was "donating" their old kid's clothes to us. It did cut our costs down.. for that I'm thankful. OMG, some of the clothes someone spent money on is way expensive for a child that could care less. My elder son got 5 complete sets of Adidas "Tricot" sets, I think they are $50US each set. lol I do think they mean well, so we are thankful.

Last edited by usayit; 03-09-2015 at 07:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 07:08 AM

15,036 posts, read 10,005,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Just the phone. It was so weird.
Yes.. that is strange. The only similar occurrence I have seen was when one of my elder coworkers had a basic phone only. We rely mostly on email for communication and some people pushed him to get a smart phone. I say he's smarter than the rest of us.... the fact that he can't get email on his phone, anywhere, anytime, is actually a good thing.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:21 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,854,817 times
OP: Yes, you're correct. There is constant encouragement for you to buy, easy credit and advertising are constantly after you and your money. Don't fall for it. Ever noticed that virtually all your mail is from someone who wants your money. Same on TV. Why people fall for it, I'll never know.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:33 AM

27,321 posts, read 28,389,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos1 View Post
i try not to care, but sometimes i feel that society deems frugal people as "cheap" and looks down on those people. i think there's a lot of pressure from society for everyone to follow the crowd, get into debt, struggle to pay their bills and fall into that revolving pit of darkness that the banks want for the general population.

what are your thoughts?
The main question is - Are you focused on living your own life, or living other people's lives?

That may be a question for the philosophy forum. I think that the pressure that many people feel is more psychological than anything else.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:55 AM

9,763 posts, read 7,580,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post

You don't sound like the typical American (a good thing) but it is not hard to see that our culture is primarily a consumer one. My own experience indicates that people are obsessed with other people's lives, what they do, what they drive, what they wear..... Celebrity endorsements, the joneses down the street, the branded products that people show off, the marketing that pushes them. Its a good thing that you don't notice...
I don't think I've ever met ANYONE that is obsessed with other people's lives and what they buy, what a sad way to live. I wouldn't want to be around someone that was so meddling/superficial.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:31 AM

291 posts, read 395,697 times
Yes, at least where i live, people are absolutely this way, especially in their 20's and low 30's.

I dated a lot of women several years back in my late 20's/early 30's and know from experience how women judged me based on what i drive, where i live, how i dress, etc. I felt i had to hold up to a certain standard or i wouldn't be able to date many of the women. Perhaps i was choosing the wrong ones?

But yes, there is a lot of "keeping up with the jonses" where i am. But the older i get and the more i realize the power of saving a buck, the less i care about others perceptions of me.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:55 PM

479 posts, read 525,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post

Isn't it amazing how this phrase is tossed around on tv and the media without any thought or analysis? How can a real economy be driven by consumption? It's insane, someone has to produce, and who produces is the rest of the world for which we in the US exchange electronic debt obligations good for a slice of the pie. It is the most fascinating and advanced system of tribute ever devised, in my opinion.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:15 PM

34,864 posts, read 30,954,560 times
Yes, there is a lot of pressure to keep up with the Joneses, but I think some expenses are justifiable, even outright necessary. People talk about the expense of a smart phone, but they can serve as your regular phone, send emails, send texts, apply for jobs, pay your bills, etc.

Cars are a major expense and a money pit. As long as you can get from point A to point B reliably and safely, I wouldn't worry too much about what you drive.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:44 PM

291 posts, read 395,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Yes, there is a lot of pressure to keep up with the Joneses, but I think some expenses are justifiable, even outright necessary. People talk about the expense of a smart phone, but they can serve as your regular phone, send emails, send texts, apply for jobs, pay your bills, etc.
Agreed - you do not need a $500 iphone or samsung galaxy to access the typical apps on a smartphone. a $79 Moto G will handle 90% of what we use our phones for.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:45 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,799,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos1 View Post
... i try not to care, but sometimes i feel that society deems frugal people as "cheap" and looks down on those people. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compuhi View Post
... I know from experience how women judged me based on what i drive, where i live, how i dress, etc. I felt i had to hold up to a certain standard or i wouldn't be able to date many of the women.

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 03-09-2015 at 02:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics