Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 12:29 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,188 times

Advertisements

So I really wanted the new little Caesars bacon pizza today (it's not that great), and had to drive into a poverty stricken area to get to the pizzeria.

This took me back to my youth as I grew up in a similar area. And it sucked, so I did everything I could to ensure I would not be stuck there. Stayed away from drugs and the bad crowd, studied hard, and joined the military (allowed me to repay my moral debt from growing up on food stamps and Medicaid, while also giving me an out and a great technical education).

I know it's not all choice. Not everyone can join the military, or go to college, but theses down trodden areas out number the nice ones in my city, and multigenerational poverty is real, but why?

Why settle? And for what? Dollar Generals, tire shops, and dusty lots coupled with crime, drugs, and crappy schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 12:36 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,151 times
Because not everyone is a materialistic ****, I suppose.

Some people are struggling to take care of parents, etc. Some people have given up. Some people ARE IN SCHOOL or the military and trying their hardest to overcome. Some people have severe medical problems. Some are depressed or suffering in grief, while a small percent could be drug addicts. Some are working 2 jobs and still barely scrape by. The reasons are all very personal and should be see to on an individual basis; judging an entire 1/3 of the population like this just makes you look ignorant.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:05 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Because not everyone is a materialistic ****, I suppose.

Some people are struggling to take care of parents, etc. Some people have given up. Some people ARE IN SCHOOL or the military and trying their hardest to overcome. Some people have severe medical problems. Some are depressed or suffering in grief, while a small percent could be drug addicts. Some are working 2 jobs and still barely scrape by. The reasons are all very personal and should be see to on an individual basis; judging an entire 1/3 of the population like this just makes you look ignorant.
Asking, not judging. I was reflecting on this deeply on my drive back home, and knew of no better group of people than CD'ers to contemplate the issue of multigenerational poverty with.

And materialistic ****? Hate to break it to you, but I don't value things, I do value family and my kids though. I do appericate the judgement from someone accusing me of being judgmental, that's an Internet gem.

And again, I grew up in poverty. No car, no cellphones, using food stamps and state healthcare. I had my welfare Christmases where I'd ask for a soccer ball and get a flashlight. And that was a major reason to join the military (repayment for the welfare and an escape from poverty).

Poverty sucked. I just don't get how anyone could tolerate it when there seemingly are so many escapes.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:07 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Nobody chooses to be poor.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:31 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
In large part:

Inability to accept delayed gratification.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:28 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Sure they do.

You CHOOSE to buy more "stuff" than your income, you've made a choice to be poor.

You CHOOSE to forgo an education or training because you can't be bothered, you've made a choice to be poor.

You CHOOSE to have more children than you can afford, you've made a choice to be poor.

Lots of people make those choices.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:39 PM

13 posts, read 15,662 times
I'm not an economist, sociologist, or political scientist, but in my limited life experience, I see 3 things people must do to have the best chance of staying out of poverty. First, finish high school. Second, get a job -- any job -- because it shows you have a work ethic. Third, don't have more children than you can afford without government help.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:53 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Sure they do.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:54 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBullsFan View Post
I'm not an economist, sociologist, or political scientist, but in my limited life experience, I see 3 things people must do to have the best chance of staying out of poverty. First, finish high school. Second, get a job -- any job -- because it shows you have a work ethic. Third, don't have more children than you can afford without government help.
Don't have children at all.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:02 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:

Of course people choose to be poor, not all people who are poor choose to be that way but to say nobody does is simply false
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics