Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times

Advertisements

i will use my bicycle for transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 06:35 AM

652 posts, read 2,663,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I retired in 2001, my government pension is not going to stop anytime soon.

My DW works part-time for the Fed gov so I do not see her job stopping anytime soon.

Our last remaining apartment building is filled with renters, paying their rent.

Our youngest son will soon finish highschool, and he wants to go into the Army.

We have settled into our retirement home in the forest, which has no mortgage. and it has very low taxes.

Our assets have continued to grow, and the biggest decision of most days is whether to go hunting today, or fishing.

In a few more years we will both turn 50, maybe by then things will look different.

my goal is to live a life like yours! congrats!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:46 AM

123 posts, read 96,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I retired in 2001, my government pension is not going to stop anytime soon.

My DW works part-time for the Fed gov so I do not see her job stopping anytime soon.

Our last remaining apartment building is filled with renters, paying their rent.

Our youngest son will soon finish highschool, and he wants to go into the Army.

We have settled into our retirement home in the forest, which has no mortgage. and it has very low taxes.

Our assets have continued to grow, and the biggest decision of most days is whether to go hunting today, or fishing.

In a few more years we will both turn 50, maybe by then things will look different.
You should be in good shape as long as inflation doesn't run rampid. Even then, your rent receipts will probably increase with inflation.

Congrats!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:03 AM

37,455 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam72 View Post
You should be in good shape as long as inflation doesn't run rampid. Even then, your rent receipts will probably increase with inflation.

Congrats!
Each MFR [apartment Building] that we have owned, we have made a point of never raising rent. Once our rent levels have been 'set' there they stay.

Both sets of my grandparents had rental units. They both lost their farms in the dust-bowl, lost their bank accounts in the Depression and moved to California. Both sets began farming in the central valley of California.

One set of grandparents built a dairy, and then a house, and then next to the house small lean-to cabins to house renters. They added more one-room units each year until they got to over a dozen. As the decades went by they ended up housing mostly elderly and handicapped, and generally as the years went by they ended up burying each of their renters.

The other set of grandparents worked at a dairy for the every twelve-hour milking and then at a cannery for eight hours shifts. They bought a city lot and from scratch they built themselves a home. Then bought another lot and from scratch built another home and filled it with renters. They continued this until finally when they were too old they stopped and had 28 rental houses.

They rented to families. Each house' rent was set current the year that it was completed, and that rent level was never changed [except if the husband had a severe illness]. In the 1990's when those grandparents died, there were a large host of families that were there and who still were very devoted to them.

They had to sell off many of those rental houses to pay for their medical treatment during there last couple of years. But when my father finally got the books he saw that those rental houses in 1995 were still paying $30 to $35 monthly rent.

Renter loyalty was very strong on the renters. Because they had been able to live there for decades without rent increases, and even with inflation, and when children moving away, but the older parents were financially stable and could always afford to stay in their 'family home'. And that meant a lot to those families.

As a child I saw how those renter's families treated my grandparents. I did not know at the time that their rents were obscenely low. Just that my grandparents never had 'bad renters', most renters went out of their way to keep their homes fixed and in good repair. And seemed to take pride in their homes. And they always shared veggies from their gardens with my grandparents.

Now I have not inherited a dime.

But I have inherited the opportunity of growing up watching how two sets of people have handled renters, and how the renters responded to them.

I hear other land-lords talking about 'bad renters', and over the years we have experienced that too.

I set our rents to 80% of the local neighborhood average. With Multi-Family-Residences it covers: the mortgage, the garbage, sewer, water, and an extra payment on the principle.

The equity grows each month, and without looking at inflated market values of housing my Net Worth grows each month.

I do not need the rents to be any higher.

Any higher and I would possibly be forced to begin paying income taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics