U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 09:27 AM

5,170 posts, read 3,728,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
I am NOT arguing with you when I say this BUT if we are to have a flat general sales tax in this nation, I am of the opinion that there are certain items that should NOT be taxed. Ie: groceries (obviously not including alcohol and cigarettes) medicine/prescriptions, clothing under $100.00. The basic necessities. And certain utilities like electricity, fuel oil, propane and natural gas. Don't make the burden harder on those trying to squeak by.
I'll go you one further. Our income is ours! We have the RIGHT to liveT that said, tghere is a price for admission to living where we do.

So ... we BEGIN with the right to retain that portion of what we earn which enables us to live our daily lives. Above that threshold is what is available to negotiate taxation levels.

I have to wonder what percentage of Americans pay over 50% total tax. I consider 50% total tax the point that we have become slaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 05:24 PM

9,070 posts, read 9,230,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
Iím a populist; I contend that a flat general sales tax is less regressive than a flat income tax.
Yes it is less regressive. But if you are talking about a pure percentage with no exceptions, it is not that much less regressive.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:19 PM

1,029 posts, read 560,388 times
Posted by Supposn:
I’m a populist; I contend that a flat general sales tax is less regressive than a flat income tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Yes it is less regressive. But if you are talking about a pure percentage with no exceptions, it is not that much less regressive.
PacoMartin, Income taxes are not levied upon income revenue; they are levied upon net incomes. Due to political and accounting difficulties, methods of calculating net incomes that has or may likely to be enacted into federal tax regulations significantly greater understate taxable incomes of wealthier taxpayers.
(There’s insignificant understatement of net incomes derived from wages and salaries).

Taxpayers’ purchases’ (rather than any tax forms calculations), more accurately reflect taxpayers’ actual net incomes in proportion to each other. Thus general sales taxes (which are usually flat rated), are less regressive than flat rated income taxes.

Respectfully, Supposn

Last edited by Supposn; 04-01-2015 at 07:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or