Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 03:06 PM

18,532 posts, read 15,510,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Have you read the fine print in your mortgage and credit card agreements?

Ooops...

Mircea
You're assuming the mortgage is an ARM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 03:08 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,376,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
A lot of the mortgages in Iceland had inflation clauses in them. Do read the fine print of those fixed rate mortgages.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:12 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,105,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Um, no, you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
A lot of the mortgages in Iceland had inflation clauses in them. Do read the fine print of those fixed rate mortgages.
Yes, you got something right.

The technical/legal term is "escalation clause" (for those interested in doing research on it).

Escalating...

Mircea

Old 03-28-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:

Yes, you got something right.
This is the second time we have agreed on something so purgatory already has frozen over

Old 03-28-2015, 11:45 AM

24,623 posts, read 19,105,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
This is the second time we have agreed on something so purgatory already has frozen over
The escalation clauses are a really big deal.

It's shocking to me, that people would buy a home, but then totally refuse to spend $75 to $200 to have a real estate attorney review and explain all of the loan documents.

Some of these escalation clauses, when they kick in, start pegging to the prime rate. For those who don't know, Monetary Inflation in the 1970s resulted in a 13+% Prime Rate in an attempt (which failed) to decrease the money supply.

The circumstances today are very different. If the Prime Rate was set at 13+%, I'm certain it would have more of impact now, than it did in the 1970s.

Agreeing...

Mircea

Old 03-28-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:

It's shocking to me, that people would buy a home, but then totally refuse to spend $75 to $200 to have a real estate attorney review and explain all of the loan documents.

Some of these escalation clauses, when they kick in, start pegging to the prime rate. For those who don't know, Monetary Inflation in the 1970s resulted in a 13+% Prime Rate in an attempt (which failed) to decrease the money supply.

The circumstances today are very different. If the Prime Rate was set at 13+%, I'm certain it would have more of impact now, than it did in the 1970s.

Agreeing...

Mircea
Now a tax on the balance owing on debt should side step that escalation clause...

Another reason why we can't raise the prime.

13% prime now with the debt load we are carrying would cause an implosion. Economically speaking. Tax the balance owing on debt. rain in inflation without tripping those clauses. But they would cry foul. nothing quite like changing the rules in the middle to make people cry.

on a side note. Greenland's ice sheet is on an exponential growth curve in ice flow. Short estimate is 20 years to 23 foot rise in ocean level. (My guise is about 25% chance of that happening.) More like 50 to 100 years. That would put a lot of banks collateral underwater. so the loans would be too. Time to sell sea level property. And cut your exposure to harm from a 23 foot sea level rise. As when it comes to bank runs he who panics first panics best.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:07 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,510,075 times
Quote:

Agreeing...

Mircea
I know for a fact, 100% percent that my mortgage payment will NEVER increase - even if inflation reaches 10,000%.

If we do have a bout of hyperinflation, you can beat I'll pay it down as fast as I can with devalued dollars as quickly as they can - if they try to pull some crap that I need to pay more than was was specified in the contract then they've got another thing coming...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics