Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 04:52 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
When you have no money in your wallet but have a credit card you can never reasonably pay off without selling your children into labor, are you not broke?

We may have gotten rid of slavery, but having children born into a world where they are entrenched in national debt that was used to pay for a better retirement for their grand parents is more than slightly ****ed up.

Then don't have kids. Unless you're a woman in a place like Texas, nobody forced you to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 02:31 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
near me........husband 31,wife 32
BOTH on Disability SS for drug abuse in their 20's

They have more money than they can spend, have social service pay for a Monday - Friday caretaker to check in on them while they still buy prescription drugs from friends......steal prescription drugs from bedridden cancer patients and spend a lot of money on booze.

( the small jar of moonshine at $31 is their favorite)

Healthy enough to constantly go on walks, use computers, but not do any meaningful work to bring in money.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Did they actually work enough to qualify or are they getting SSI?

Old 04-16-2015, 02:36 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Exactly. You need to read the article more closely but first understand the general process of being approved for SSDI.

Factors that make people less able to adapt to other jobs are included. Some of these factors are: being over 50, having little education, and apparently, for better of for worse, now not speaking English has been added to this list.

Remember that these are all CITIZENS who have paid into the system. They are NOT ILLEGALS.

Again, most people posting here really have a problem with "SSI" (ie, that which is given to poor people who don't have enough work credits) yet are bashing "SSDI" which is the program we all pay into to be there in case of a disability.

SSDI is an insurance policy and a very bad one at that in comparison to private policies.

SSI gives almost ANYONE who is a citizen, poor and not working up to $700 a month. This come out to about $3.50 cents "per hour" assuming one would be working 40 hours a week.

You guys are really so jealous about people being subsidized $3.50 an hour so they don't die and/or steal from you and vandalize your neighborhoods?

SSDI pays disabled people on average 1k per month. (There are many places online to verify this.) This come out to about $5 an hour.

Again, you are seriously begrudging people for collecting $5 an hour after a lifetime of working on the books? That is about HALF of most states' minimum wage.

Do you think it is "coincidence" that unemployment is higher where there are the most SSDI recipients? It's not. Either 1. The jobs and not there and/or 2. Companies REFUSE TO ACCOMMODATE disabled workers.

Please educate yourself before you bash something that you do not understand. It ruins your credibility on other issues if you don't.

Almost EVERYONE is capable of sitting at a microphone and doing a radio talk show. Therefore, very few people are actually of performing Substantial Gainful Activity.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:51 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
So just remove the cap on taxable wages and put controls on how much may be collected and the problem ends.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:43 AM

473 posts, read 796,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
I have no idea what you are trying to say with this. Apparently he was not actually working post-disability? Or was he? Or was he committing some other kind of fraud? I strongly doubt you actually have the knowledge of this situation to make whatever judgment it is you are trying to make, but for kicks and grins, lets say this guy IS one of the very very few disability cheats who has managed to slip through the cracks.

What does that have to do with allegations that people are getting disability benefits based solely on a presumed inability to speak English?

Not being able to speak English and being on disability does not equate to their being on disability BECAUSE they don't speak English. That's a logical fallacy.

Still does not equate to people getting disability payments solely because they do not speak English.

Also, people don't get disability because they are refugees, either. I'm not sure what being a refugee (or not) has to do with anything.

Again - people do not get disability because the unemployment rate is high. People who are disabled get disability.

It is true that disability application rates - and hence the number of new disability recipients - spikes when unemployment rates go up. This is because people who are already struggling to continue working with a disability are most likely the first to go and the last to be hired. Hence, many of us - especially those of us who are older and have the additional burden of age discrimination to deal with on top of discrimination against the disabled - end up breaking down and applying for disability. If we get hired before an application is approved, we drop pursuing the disability. But if we ride it all the way out to the end - and it takes up to 5 years for approval - its because we COULD NOT get another job.

I don't know about you, but for me at least, living without any income to speak of for the 3.5 years it took for my SECOND disability application to be approved was no cake walk. My back pay, when it finally came, went to pay off the debts my college-age son had run up caring for me in the meantime. People do not go on disability because its easy street - they go on disability because its that or starve.

There are no states "where people all have back problems". There probably ARE states where a lot of people really DO have back problems - because there is a preponderance of people who have done hard manual labor all their lives.

And of course there is nothing to preclude someone who can't speak English from having a back problem. In which case, if they are on disability, its because they have a back problem. I have back problems. The pain is relatively minor - its when your lower extremities go numb and you fall down that's the biggest problem. I did not get disability based on back problems - that started up AFTER my disability was approved.

No, the phenomena are unrelated.

As for Virginia reputedly telling people with "severe mental impairment" that they can work - what are you even talking about? I just looked Virginia up, and they have a 30% approval rating at the first level of application. California, supposedly a welfare state, also has a 30% approval rating. Illinois, one of the most corrupt states overall in the US (I think ALL of their living past governors are in jail, at least a bunch of them are) has a 32% approval rating. The US average is 32%.

Statistics do not support the idea that Virginia is disproportionately denying benefits. What's your evidence?

Again, we are lacking definitions and evidence. I don't know what you are talking about, and googling didn't bring anything up.

Do you? You haven't addressed the issue at all, nor provided any evidence.

Here is a complete listing of all the things SS considers in a disability application. Inability to speak English is not listed under ANY of those categories. Loss of speech is - as in, you can't talk at all, or can't speak intelligibly. However, even that is not sufficient for disability approval. It is only one thing that is considered along with other things in determining disability. People who are totally mute don't even get disability based on that alone.

This I can agree with. I should have been approved for disability the first time I applied. At the time I was too sick to pursue it when they denied the initial application. The SSD administration depends on disabled people being too debilitated to follow through, or to be able to navigate the complex multiple processes in getting disability. Instead, I went another 5 years trying to handle things on my own and then still had to get a lawyer and wait another nearly 4 years for the application to be approved.

If I had not had a son who was willing to take me in - in spite of being in college himself at the time - I would have ended up homeless and/or dead, and the application would necessarily have been dropped. Win/Win for SS!

This LITERALLY happens to a lot of people. They die or become one of those annoying homeless people, and then they die. Could have been me.

Abuses are extremely minimal. Disability cheats get approved at only a slightly higher rate than actual voter fraud occurs (actual voter fraud occurs - NEVER). The few disability cheats who get through nearly always get caught within a couple of years. "Abuse" is not "draining the system". Abuse is almost non-existent - unless you are counting the abuse perpetrated by the application process, of "hurry up and wait for them to die, or give up because they are too sick to follow through correctly on all the complicated processes we use".

A FY2011 investigation by the Government Accountability Office found that improper payments of Social Security benefits that include Disability Insurance had an error rate of just 0.6 percent. [Government Accountability Office, 3/28/12]

What does that have to do with the idea that people are getting disability solely because they don't speak any English?

Just as a point of clarity (as I am unsure if anyone else mentioned it). When determining disability, an inability to understand or communicate in English may be a determining factor. If unable to return to past relevant work, then the Agency must consider the Grid Rules. These rules serve as presumptions of disability. Essentially, the older a claimant gets, the less specialized experience they have, and the less physically demanding work they can perform, the more likely they are to receive disability as the Agency has determined they are less likely to be hired. At this step, an inability to speak English could cause someone to be deemed disabled who potentially wouldn't be disabled if they could speak English. However, to get there, they would have had to have a severe medically determinable impairment.

Last edited by 85rx-7gsl-se; 04-18-2015 at 08:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics