Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 01:10 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
In Portland there are a few people on Airbnb who offer multiple rentals in various locations. Uber so far has been tied up in regulatory issues because of cab drivers and their employers
Yeah it is interesting when people have multiple rentals on there. Smart idea to leverage another platform to essentially create your own business with little startup costs.

I am planning a trip to Portland next month and considering using AirBnb for the first time.
Too bad that uber isnt available there as I use it often and was considering using it there.

Not sure if it's worth renting a car or not as I've heard Portland has great public transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 02:25 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah it is interesting when people have multiple rentals on there. Smart idea to leverage another platform to essentially create your own business with little startup costs.

I am planning a trip to Portland next month and considering using AirBnb for the first time.
Too bad that uber isnt available there as I use it often and was considering using it there.

Not sure if it's worth renting a car or not as I've heard Portland has great public transit.
If you would use Uber instead of transit, then why not car rental instead of transit?

Old 04-14-2015, 03:16 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
One good thing to come out of the Uber revolution. The regular old taxi companies like Yellow are having to improve their rides and their service.
Good for them - I haven't seen the improvement.

Meanwhile, Uber drivers are almost uniformly excellent. Why would people with other opportunities, clean, well-spoken, honest, and punctual, drive for a company that mistreats them? All I know is what I see as a customer - the product is outstanding.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:14 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
In Troy and Albany, the criminals share guns. Community guns they call them. One robs a house or shoots a rival, replaces the gun, and it's available for the next criminal.

This is a great idea. Not only does it lower gun ownership and ownership costs, it makes it harder to solve crimes because so many fingerprints and DNA marks are on the community gun that it makes it very difficult to attribute any particular crime to any one criminal.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:18 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Good for them - I haven't seen the improvement.

Meanwhile, Uber drivers are almost uniformly excellent. Why would people with other opportunities, clean, well-spoken, honest, and punctual, drive for a company that mistreats them? All I know is what I see as a customer - the product is outstanding.
Personally I won't go back to using taxis after discovering Uber. One place it would be nice to have it would be Vegas..looks like they were operating in Nevada..but then got shut out of there...and now looks like the Taxi mafia has had their way again..as the Senate there just rejected a bill that would allow ride sharing..

Senate rejects bill to allow ride-sharing in Nevada | Las Vegas Review-Journal

I don't live in Vegas...but it would of been nice to use Uber when I visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics