Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 05:43 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So since he won't ever have to worry you're saying he'll always be a governor? Just because you make that kind of money this year doesn't mean you'll make it next year or the next or the next. Lots of people had great paying jobs but lose it. That's where people get into trouble, they think that money will keep flowing for the rest of their lives.
I wasn't really even referring to his job, but the 5 million in assets. A reasonably responsible person with that much in assets should never have to worry about money again even if his income dropped to a fraction of what he currently earns. If someone manages to screw that up, they won't get any sympathy from me. The average US worker will be fortunate to earn 2 million over a lifetime, most will earn less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 06:46 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I wasn't really even referring to his job, but the 5 million in assets. A reasonably responsible person with that much in assets should never have to worry about money again even if his income dropped to a fraction of what he currently earns. If someone manages to screw that up, they won't get any sympathy from me. The average US worker will be fortunate to earn 2 million over a lifetime, most will earn less.
Yet government attacks and taxes the oblivion out of people who hasn't had time to build that kind of wealth. Then people complain that it's too hard for them to get rich (build wealth) ...Got to love it

Old 04-20-2015, 06:55 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Sounds good to me.

I'm just waiting for rent to be taxed. Then homelessness will be protected political speech and you won't be able to stop it. People will devise all sorts of creative workarounds to avoid the tax.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:58 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yet government attacks and taxes the oblivion out of people who hasn't had time to build that kind of wealth. Then people complain that it's too hard for them to get rich (build wealth) ...Got to love it

It's hard for most people to build wealth because most are bad with money. It's not taxes that prevent most from building wealth

Old 04-20-2015, 07:21 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,900,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It's hard for most people to build wealth because most are bad with money.
Or bad with discipline. I don't know if you are lumping those in the same basket. They are real closely related, but not exactly the same thing.

I know people who have had far better careers than I have had, but always have to buy the latest thing.

A certain relative of mine is ten years older, has had a consistent stream of income and thinks he's going to retire soon. He has a much better computer than I do, a much nicer car (*), ( has never been a felon for five years ), yet would be in trouble in less than two months if he ever loses his job at a tech company that never makes any money.

I don't imagine that I could finance his lifestyle for more than 5 years, but I could come close.

(*) Financed with a five year loan. Really? I can't imagine financing a car any more - let alone with a loan so long ( or a lease ).

You could be a financial idiot, but if all you did was save 25% of your gross pay and with your non-401k stuff, just bought stock in companies you knew about by name ( and not what they did ) and never sold them, you would probably be able to retire well and "early."

Old 04-20-2015, 08:52 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
Or bad with discipline. I don't know if you are lumping those in the same basket. They are real closely related, but not exactly the same thing.

I know people who have had far better careers than I have had, but always have to buy the latest thing.

A certain relative of mine is ten years older, has had a consistent stream of income and thinks he's going to retire soon. He has a much better computer than I do, a much nicer car (*), ( has never been a felon for five years ), yet would be in trouble in less than two months if he ever loses his job at a tech company that never makes any money.

I don't imagine that I could finance his lifestyle for more than 5 years, but I could come close.

(*) Financed with a five year loan. Really? I can't imagine financing a car any more - let alone with a loan so long ( or a lease ).

You could be a financial idiot, but if all you did was save 25% of your gross pay and with your non-401k stuff, just bought stock in companies you knew about by name ( and not what they did ) and never sold them, you would probably be able to retire well and "early."
And the bad news is that its very hard to change habits ... Including bad money habits ...
Most will just not educate themselves .. And don't even try because they think education is only higher education . I didn't go to business school , but from prominent people that did go I've heard that they don't really teach you much about making or investing money in business school .

Regarding the tech companies , I've heard that the philosophy of most tech companies is to not worry about profit but to focus on " building things people love "

I'm surprised there is so much money being thrown at startups now but it's all because these venture capitalists are looking to hit that 1 in 30 and find the next Facebook or Google .

They don't seem to be hurting much or losing too much overall .

Of course you gotta be in the insiders club to invest in these startups in the first place .

Old 04-20-2015, 08:58 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
It's hard for most people to build wealth because most are bad with money. It's not taxes that prevent most from building wealth
Many people are bad with money, but I don't think I'm particularly bad with money. However, I could use some help with the following:

Federal income tax
State income tax
Corporate Federal and state tax (I own a business)
Unemployment tax (ditto)
Social Security tax (employer and employee share)
Medicare tax
Property tax
Sales tax
Capital gains tax
Estate tax
Gift tax
Alternative minimum tax, and
The corporate and personal taxes built into the price of everything I buy.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Imagine if you could have even some of the money that government takes in "YOUR" account. That money in YOUR account is building YOUR wealth.

MOST! So punish those who aren't bad with money because MOST are bad with money. Nice

Old 04-20-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
It's amazing that people love to give someone else's money away. You do realize it's not going to make you richer don't you. People are idiots.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:26 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Many people are bad with money, but I don't think I'm particularly bad with money. However, I could use some help with the following:

Federal income tax
State income tax
Corporate Federal and state tax (I own a business)
Unemployment tax (ditto)
Social Security tax (employer and employee share)
Medicare tax
Property tax
Sales tax
Capital gains tax
Estate tax
Gift tax
Alternative minimum tax, and
The corporate and personal taxes built into the price of everything I buy.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Are you unable to build wealth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics