Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 03:22 PM

47 posts, read 83,167 times

Advertisements

Nope not kidding.

According to their Policy Updates page, PalPal has decided to give themselves full and permanent control of rights to any and all content - online AND offline - you provide while using their services...and it includes eBay.

Quote:
Amendment to the PayPal User Agreement.

Intellectual Property
We are adding a new paragraph to section 1.3., which outlines the licence and rights that you give to us and to the PayPal Group (see paragraph 12 below for the definition of “PayPal Group”) to use content that you post for publication using the Services. A similar paragraph features in the Privacy Policy, which is removed by the addition of this paragraph to the User Agreement. The new paragraph at section 1.3 reads as follows:

“When providing us with content or posting content (in each case for publication, whether on- or off-line) using the Services, you grant the PayPal Group a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable (through multiple tiers) right to exercise any and all copyright, publicity, trademarks, database rights and intellectual property rights you have in the content, in any media known now or in the future. Further, to the fullest extent permitted under applicable law, you waive your moral rights and promise not to assert such rights against the PayPal Group, its sublicensees or assignees. You represent and warrant that none of the following infringe any intellectual property right: your provision of content to us, your posting of content using the Services, and the PayPal Group’s use of such content (including of works derived from it) in connection with the Services.”
Read the full policy updates...you've got about 2 1/2 months to figure out another option. Share this with everyone you know who uses paypal as their payment facilitator to do business - and make sure they understand that come July 2015, no matter what they sell online or offline, it no longer belongs to them, they no longer own it nor have full exclusive rights to their own creations or content IF THEY ARE USING PAYPAL SERVICES FOR TRANSACTIONS.

PayPal owns it and you give them defacto control when you continue using them.

If you care about true copyright protection, I'd strongly urge you to find other payment facilitators - even Bitcoin (especially bitcoin, like bitpay), or check out Square.Com - which is superior to PP and only getting better now that they offer business transaction options with Square's CashMe app. It's p2p but you own your stuff, not Square. If Square changes their policy too, then drop them...

Heads up! Please share this with everyone you know who us a paypal user. Most of them don't have any idea what the PP policies are to begin with.

I just closed my account with PP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 07:55 PM

224 posts, read 456,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiPrice View Post
it no longer belongs to them, they no longer own it nor have full exclusive rights to their own creations or content IF THEY ARE USING PAYPAL SERVICES FOR TRANSACTIONS.

I'm not so up on my lawyeresse, but I read that as saying they have rights to the post, not the physical item. Someone probably sued them when someone else put an ad for something they didn't own.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:16 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
It sounds like they're asserting ownership of content for publication. It does not sound like they're asserting ownership of the goods for sale.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:19 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Not sure what you're worried about? Sounds like attorneys are trying to protect PayPal from any lawsuits, not offensive against PayPal users.

For the record, I'm a very happy long time PayPal customer.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:13 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
What they're doing is preparing for the virtual online marketplace. Ebay has banned the sale and trade of digital property for a long time and since Paypal and ebay has separated they can now get ready for the trade of digital goods.

If you were to sell a digital gift card, they will likely want to have a copy of the URL and gift card code before it is transferred to the buyer.

I know it's a lot of lawyer language but it's step in the right direction for consumer protection.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:10 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I don't like paypal but if you want to do business on ebay you need to use them. They have upped their fees to the point where it doesn't make sense to sell anymore.
PP once cancelled my account and banned me forever because they claimed that someone at my address had used a PP account to accept money for a illegal item. I went back and forth with them for months over this and was finally able to get back on.

PP and Ebay are way too big for their own good. If the consumer doesn't like what they are doing they don't care to lose one or even thousands of users. They are not the only game in town but they are the biggest and most recognised. Try buying something on Ebay without using PP. It is not easy.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:08 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
I only use PayPal to pay one bill a month and the occasional charity payment. As such, the changes don't really bother me.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:21 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,008 times
i think that is just standard legalease for paypal to cover there azz

i cant see a situation where say i sell a circuit board design that i have copyrighted to ace_tx designs and i use a paypal store to sell said design that i am transferring ownership to paypal

i think this mostly has to do with use of copyrighted images and whatnot

Old 05-11-2015, 04:55 AM

908 posts, read 1,660,686 times
Well, i hope someone shows the new policy to some attorneys to get their take on it. maybe paypal needs to clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiPrice View Post
Nope not kidding.

According to their Policy Updates page, PalPal has decided to give themselves full and permanent control of rights to any and all content - online AND offline - you provide while using their services...and it includes eBay.

Read the full policy updates...you've got about 2 1/2 months to figure out another option. Share this with everyone you know who uses paypal as their payment facilitator to do business - and make sure they understand that come July 2015, no matter what they sell online or offline, it no longer belongs to them, they no longer own it nor have full exclusive rights to their own creations or content IF THEY ARE USING PAYPAL SERVICES FOR TRANSACTIONS.

If you care about true copyright protection, I'd strongly urge you to find other payment facilitators - even Bitcoin (especially bitcoin, like bitpay), or check out Square.Com - which is superior to PP and only getting better now that they offer business transaction options with Square's CashMe app. It's p2p but you own your stuff, not Square. If Square changes their policy too, then drop them...

Heads up! Please share this with everyone you know who us a paypal user. Most of them don't have any idea what the PP policies are to begin with.

I just closed my account with PP.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:13 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
I think you are overreacting, it's not like Paypal can say they own your home and all your property for no reason, it's probably just protecting them if you use a picture that is copyrighted so they are not held responsible, that would be my guess.

Even when you agree to the terms they can not put in something unreasonable in the print or in vague language saying that if you agree they have the right to all your possessions, including you home and your income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics