Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 01:27 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,004,630 times

Advertisements

Hahaha...damn, this thread. I am so grateful that I've been fortunate to be able to give as I do.

Some of you are actually complaining about having to tip. Really? Give me a break. Have grace and humility. I give so much and it never fails, I receive much more.

I think it's time for me to retire from posting on forums. The mediocrity is too much for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 08:16 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,114,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I agree with you. I like to tip when the service calls for it, but I resent the expectation for tips. I once had a hotel bellhop, after he'd carried my bag from the lobby to my room, hold out his hand and angrily ask, "Aren't you forgetting something?" That was years ago, and since then, I always carry my own bags, no matter how heavy they are.
Yeah, I pretty much avoid services where a tip might be expected. I'm not a big shot, I don't carry around a roll of bills so I can always give the appropriate tip, even if I knew what it was, which I don't. I'm willing to pay for services but not to deal with some sort of implicitly required extra afterwards.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:10 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,714,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa
Hahaha...damn, this thread. I am so grateful that I've been fortunate to be able to give as I do.
Ya Alot of ppl dont realise THEY DONT MAKE ALOT TO BEGIN WITH!!!!!

Every little bit helps them

Old 05-05-2015, 10:14 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,741,042 times
Because certain business models are built - for better or worse - around the fact that a portion of the employee's income will be supplied directly by the individual customer.

Follow-up question:
Why do so many people who don't want to tip and/or refuse to tip need their cheapness validated with reassurances that its fine not to tip?

Frankly, if I have enough disposable income that I can go to restaurants and stay in hotels and enjoy martinis at a bar, then I can darn well add in a gratuity.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,169,407 times
I do not feel obligated in the least bit.
I tip based on service..anywhere from 0% to 20%

Old 05-05-2015, 05:32 PM

22,192 posts, read 29,184,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Restaurant servers go home with a minimum of $7.25/hour (minimum wage) no matter whether they are tipped or not. So it's not like they are only earning $2.13/hr.
Um negative on your statement. Sorry to tell you but you are not a server and you are wrong.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:39 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,479,584 times
Quote:
Um negative on your statement. Sorry to tell you but you are not a server and you are wrong.
I'm not a server, and I'm telling you to look over the federal minimum wage law again... because NJBest is correct.

The employer may pay less but you have to count the tips if they do. You can't cherry pick the wage with tips then subtract the tips out to make it look like they got paid less.
The way you presented it is how CEOs get $1 salary and $million in stocks. You think it's okay to say they got paid millions because you counted the stock options. The server also needs to count the tips. Those tips are his OPTIONS

Old 05-05-2015, 09:32 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,004,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Ya Alot of ppl dont realise THEY DONT MAKE ALOT TO BEGIN WITH!!!!!

Every little bit helps them

I'm so grateful for what I have, I can't help but to tip. My food bill tonight was $19.85 and I left $40. Keep the change sir! That's not unusual for me. That comes back to me many times over and over.

Last edited by Rocco Barbosa; 05-05-2015 at 09:42 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 09:48 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,445,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post

Some of you are actually complaining about having to tip. Really? Give me a break. Have grace and humility. I give so much and it never fails, I receive much more.

I think it's time for me to retire from posting on forums. The mediocrity is too much for me.
[shrug], different strokes for different folks. Plus, the vibe I'm getting is that those who don't want do tip DON'T, and most certainly are NOT seeking validation. (In fact, it seems like some of them even convince us otherwise in one way or another). On a similar note, I'm sure many of us could afford to buy a 12oz can of Pepsi or Coke for $30 every now and then. We won't go broke and lose our houses. Heck, you could argue that we're helping out the shopkeeper make ends meet with that markup However, some of the folks here just won't buy into that.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:25 PM

30,489 posts, read 17,940,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
Why do so many people feel they should hand out a tip to those who are paid to do a job?

I understand that restaurant servers should be tipped, and I tip well in that regard, hotel housekeeping, I tip them as well. Gas pump jockey's, barista's, movers? Why?
Agreed. I don't tip taxi drivers unless they actually help me with my bags. The same goes for gas pump jockeys and people working front counter at an eatery when I'm taking out. Now, I do tip my barber, but that's just to show appreciation . . . plus, if I don't tip, I'm afraid of receiving a not-so-great haircut as "retaliation"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics