Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 07:40 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
More exciting tales from the crypt! I would suspect however that the closest to any actual inter-governmental negotiation you've ever been would be along the lines of a bunch of alarmist YouTube nonsense produced by some whackjob sociophobe living out a life of fear as a Montana Mountainman. Am I close?
this post is a very strange way to deflect from the point by staging some weird attack on me and questioning my own involvement with intergovernmental negotiations. I haven't been involved in any but im sure I have paid the price of many just like countless millions of other people have (many paying a much higher price than myself).

I assure you that politicians negotiating purely for their own benefit with the power of government and dollars of taxpayers appreciate you believing that they are doing you a favor by keeping their negotiations secret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 08:00 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,653,990 times
Politicians are not typically the ones who do the negotiating of international agreements. To me, this is another indication of how removed you seem to be from the actual facts of these matters.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Politicians are not typically the ones who do the negotiating of international agreements. To me, this is another indication of how removed you seem to be from the actual facts of these matters.
its comical to see you pretend to be some kind of know-it-all and be totally wrong in the process. its like you are counting on the notion that if you sound confident, people will just believe you and not research your statements.

read this article from the new york times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/09/bu...oved.html?_r=0

obama seems to believe he is negotiating and im pretty sure he is a politicians. members of his administrative staff and people appointed by him are also politicians that are involved. so the trade agreement is clearly being negotiated by politicians. if you want to pretend to be some kind of expert, you should first do some research.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:30 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,653,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its comical to see you pretend to be some kind of know-it-all and be totally wrong in the process. its like you are counting on the notion that if you sound confident, people will just believe you and not research your statements.
I'm retired now but was for 25 years a US rep to various international financial bodies and led or assisted in the negotiation of dozens of international financial agreements. I am not a politician, and except on rare occasions, neither were those sitting alongside me. Any questions, Captain?

Old 05-09-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I'm retired now but was for 25 years a US rep to various international financial bodies and led or assisted in the negotiation of dozens of international financial agreements. I am not a politician, and except on rare occasions, neither were those sitting alongside me. Any questions, Captain?
this is some of the most ridiculous stuff ive ever read. i don't really know what negotiations you were involved in but it doesn't change the fact that the trans pacific agreement's negotiations are directed by politicians. i suppose some fool employee sitting at a table talking to some foreign diplomat may think he is negotiating but his positions and the ultimate approval of any deal is going to be directed by politicians. nobody is buying what you are trying to sell Barbara.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:16 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
Quote:
Welcome back.

No doubt in addition to managing a fine restaurant, directing several charities, and turning lead into gold with rental property . . .

Old 06-04-2015, 03:59 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,138 times
As a president that is regularly for championing labor rights why is he pushing this through without debate options, and only allowing yes/no votes?

I conjecture the guy has some private interests pushing him to do this and offering him rewards upon the end of his presidency. The question is how can we protest?

NAFTA was already a collosal failure. The only winners in these "free trade" agreements are international corporations. They use "free trade" as a way to dismantle union power. What's worse is this agreement appears to be no different in that it will leave the USA playing by the rules while everyone else breaks them to suck every last dollar out of us.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:31 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/17/bu...rtnership.html

This is essentially NAFTA for the Pacific. Obama is trying to fast track this without public support.

what arse, you know full well the Republicans are fully supporting this agreement.

What worries me is not that Obama, or the reps or dems are supporting it, it is that they are all working together to allow this to pass with ease...
That makes me worry it is good for large business and bad for the man on the street.

More than anything we need to pull up the bottom half of the country , if you want your kids and their kids to have happy safe lives then we need to start doing something about those on the wrong side of the gap... left wing right wing, bush or Obama who gives a crap we need to stop the waste, stop the free fall.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:23 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
I conjecture the guy has some private interests pushing him to do this and offering him rewards upon the end of his presidency.
I think the oligarchs have been pushing him all along. Rhetoric and small moves distract from the really important move that completely nullifies the others.

The reward may be as simple as letting him live, although I'm sure there will be other bonuses in addition.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:08 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I think the oligarchs have been pushing him all along. Rhetoric and small moves distract from the really important move that completely nullifies the others.

The reward may be as simple as letting him live, although I'm sure there will be other bonuses in addition.
He'll make sure to give a speech on marijuana legalization and gay rights while doing this to distract the dumb masses.

The average Congressman outperforms the stock market by over 12%. They're in it for themselves. With a 2 party system both sides can be bribed easily. We need a system similar to Germany, where any party getting 5% of the vote gets a voting seat. Much harder to bribe everyone that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics