Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 09:17 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times

Advertisements

There is no way that schedule can be correct. Has to be an error. If I am reading it correctly, your GF works from 5pm to close (9 or 10 pm i am guessing?). Then has a two hour break and then works 12am to 8am the same night. Basically working 12 hours in a 15 hours span but not getting any OT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 10:27 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Maybe she should consider an exciting career in the fast food preparation industry, or perhaps the housekeeping industry.
Why the sarcasm? She's demonstrated that she's willing to work full-time, trying to earn her keep in an expensive city. She's not on the dole. Some compassion for her might be nice.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:36 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Here's a novel idea.... How about people plan and budget for having children and do so when they can afford it? Kind of like when you buy a car or a house. Can't afford it, don't do it. Pretty simple actually
So, let me see if I have this straight. Only people who have ...how much money do you want them to have saved again?...let's say a half a million dollars. That will do. Yes, the only people allowed to have children then are people who have half a million dollars in the bank. For the rest, well, I guess we have to ban sex, because you know that all birth control methods have a failure rate. You good with both of these scenarios?

And uh, what do you do about the people who could afford children and had them, then fell on bad times? OK, hold on a minute. Let me try something else out on you. How about the only people who can buy houses are the ones who can pay the whole amount in cash? Let's face it, if you owe money on your house, you don't actually own it. If you have to take a loan out, then you can't afford to buy it. This way, when people lose their jobs or have huge medical bills, they still have a house to live in. Of course, that means only the rich will ever be able to buy a house, but whatever.........

Old 05-12-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
When I pay the tax bill it causes me to be sypathied out. I really don't care like you don't care about my situation.

Well, I can't help you then. But maybe you need to actually start doing something instead of being on a forum and complaining about it. I'm not being snarky when I say that. There are people in this country that make the decisions about who gets welfare and who doesn't. Make yourself one of them. Lobby to change welfare. Lobby to change the tax laws. Get involved in politics. Start a grassroots movement. Do something.

I get tired of caring too. I get tired of all the negativity. I get tired of people who abuse the system and make it harder for the ones who come along behind them. I get tired of listening to the hate people have for other people. I get tired of the "I've got mine, now you go get yours" mentality.

Then I hear a story about someone who goes to a lot of trouble to save a stray dog. Or someone who buys the groceries someone else can't afford. You can't save everyone in the world. Sometimes one person at a time, sometimes one person in a lifetime, is all you're allowed.

You know, respect for other people is free.

And why wouldn't I care about your situation?

Old 05-12-2015, 10:59 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Well, I can't help you then. But maybe you need to actually start doing something instead of being on a forum and complaining about it. I'm not being snarky when I say that. There are people in this country that make the decisions about who gets welfare and who doesn't. Make yourself one of them. Lobby to change welfare. Lobby to change the tax laws. Get involved in politics. Start a grassroots movement. Do something.

I get tired of caring too. I get tired of all the negativity. I get tired of people who abuse the system and make it harder for the ones who come along behind them. I get tired of listening to the hate people have for other people. I get tired of the "I've got mine, now you go get yours" mentality.

Then I hear a story about someone who goes to a lot of trouble to save a stray dog. Or someone who buys the groceries someone else can't afford. You can't save everyone in the world. Sometimes one person at a time, sometimes one person in a lifetime, is all you're allowed.

You know, respect for other people is free.

And why wouldn't I care about your situation?
People who got their fingers in other people's pocket don't deserve respect.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
People who got their fingers in other people's pocket don't deserve respect.
So basically you're saying that after working for 35 years and paying taxes, being as I'm now disabled and receiving food stamps, I'm not worthy of respect? Yeah, well, I get a lot of that. I'm tough, I can deal with it. And I know my own worth, so I don't need anyone to tell me what they think it is.

Anyway, we're a wee bit off the thread topic, don't you think?

Old 05-12-2015, 11:10 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Companies are just as much to blame for the "full time loophole"... whatever the government mandates as full time, companies will just have their employees work 2 hours less than that. I still remember when FT was 40 hrs/wk, whereas many ended up working 38 hours/wk. Now, it's 30 and 28 IIRC?
Quote:
Before Government Mandated Obamacare full time was 40 hours a week. After Obamacare health reform law defines “full-time” work as averaging only 30 hrs per week

Companies with 100 or more full-time equivalent employees (FTE) must insure at least 70% of their full-time workers by 2015 and 95% by 2016.

Small businesses with 50-99 FTE will need to start insuring full-time workers by 2016. The mandate does not apply to employers with 49 or less FTE.

Democrat Nancy Pelosi said we have to pass the law to see what's in it. Liberal media hit many of these facts in an effort to prop Obama and Obamacare up. Those who wanted more free stuff didn't care who it hurt. We aren't even seeing the full negative effects of Obamacare yet.
You just repeated the same thing I said without adding anything new

Old 05-12-2015, 11:21 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
So basically you're saying that after working for 35 years and paying taxes, being as I'm now disabled and receiving food stamps, I'm not worthy of respect? Yeah, well, I get a lot of that. I'm tough, I can deal with it. And I know my own worth, so I don't need anyone to tell me what they think it is.

Anyway, we're a wee bit off the thread topic, don't you think?
And there it is! That's why you defend the government soaking the productive. Yea, I know someone on "disability". And he shouldn't be thats for sure.

You see, I'd like to put enough aside where I never need food stamps but it's people on the dole taking from people like me in my productive years, the government grab making it all the more difficult. Take from me and I could end up where you are and I don't want to ever go there.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:06 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
And there it is! That's why you defend the government soaking the productive. Yea, I know someone on "disability". And he shouldn't be thats for sure.

You see, I'd like to put enough aside where I never need food stamps but it's people on the dole taking from people like me in my productive years, the government grab making it all the more difficult. Take from me and I could end up where you are and I don't want to ever go there.
Ah yes, theres nothing like the pure hatred of others.

Petch, he paid into the system for 35 years. doubt his disability is all made up, but there you go, on the personal attack.

Your hatred is.....just incredible. Your disrespect for someone who has worked 35 years, and obviously contributed to the safety net that he or she now uses is amazing.

"Sure pay in for disability, but gosh f you ever use it, watch me imply that you are bad for it, and use it as a ad hominen attack.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:50 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times
Good for you that you are a humane human OP, but feel sorry for you or your girlfriend I will not

My wife works twice as much as the schedule you posted and has to study on top of that

There are loads of people that work 12-16hr days and don't complain

I think you and your partner need to harden up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics