Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 12:58 PM

4 posts, read 8,239 times

Advertisements

Normally I don't like to go on rants, but being human as I am, sometimes when the BS meter reaches critical mass I have to reach out to see if others are in the same boat. Anyway let me paint the picture. Me and my GF are both college graduates, and like anyone else struggle with the cost of living. My GF recently got laid off from her previous job and started working at a major retail store. When she took the job her hours were typical for retail, working 7 1/2 hours a day, so this way the business has no chance of you ever having to pay you overtime. Devious, but nothing out of the ordinary for retail.

Anyway this is where things start getting out of control, since she is on the team that sets up "planograms", or sets up shelving for product and marketing and such, they decide to move her hours to overnight. Without warning or anything of the sort suddenly from normal business hours she has to come in at midnight and work to 8am. Since we both work and struggle to even afford the cost of living where a basic humane apartment costs 1300 a month. She had to adjust, and decided to keep the job, at least until she tries to find better work.

Now this is where things get really wild, a few weeks later from working the overnight positions, the company decides to cut everyone in the overnight team's hours from 35 a week to 20. Because in the retail world 35 hours a week is considered "Full Time." They say, if you want to continue having a full time job and keeping your health benefits you have to operate on our new schedule. So since me and my gf are both in our mid 20's, and obviously can't live on her only working 20 hours a week she decides to take a look on the "new schedule".. get this..I'm not joking look at this inhumane new "schedule"

Monday - 12am - 8am
Tuesday - 5pm - Close
Wednesday - 12am -7am
Thursday - 4pm - Close
Friday - 12am - 8am

Seriously? How is the human body supposed to adjust sleep patterns to work all night then come in the next day for work during the daylight, and then instantly go back to working overnight!!!..My gf has been hearing of people almost getting into car accidents going into work because they can't sleep and stay awake. This is a MAJOR retail chain I am talking about here, not just a run of the mill mom and pop store. This is happening NATION-WIDE.

The reasoning for these hours that my GF has heard from department leads, is that instead of hiring different sets of people and paying each set for health insurance and employee insurance, the company saves money by combining the overnight team and day team and reducing the hours as see fit. NEVERMIND the fact that they are risking the health and safety of everyone making near MINIMUM WAGE.

Now of course there are people that are going to say, oh why not leave the job. But this is what I have to say to those people. The people who say that are usually the people who have a decent job. I should know because I have one myself. My GF has been searching for working and it is beyond difficult out there. In this economy, when you need to pay bills and rent, people take work to get by and expect to at least be treated like a human being. When I see my GF coming in from working and struggling now to go to sleep in weird hours and driving delirious, it really makes me question what is happening to this country. If this is allowed now, I wonder what will be allowed later on. This country is all about appeasing the stockholders, not the employees. I really wonder how workers like these stay sane. Would like to hear input from people in the same boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 01:09 PM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
If she can only work "insane retail" what are you contributing to the household?

Old 05-08-2015, 01:21 PM

We split bills, but what do I have to do with anything, the topic was about retail conditions, not the distributions of income among households.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:40 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
There have always been tough times and bad jobs. Unemployment is really low for college grads. It doesn't get much better than now for finding a new job and career.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:47 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
She's in retail and gets weekends off? She should consider herself lucky. As for the schedule, yeah it sucks, but that has less to do with the company than with whichever manager is making the schedule. Not that it's any excuse, but making a schedule for a crew of people can be a bit overwhelming when you aren't used to it or when you have to change things around. If she's really upset with the schedule, she needs to go talk to the manager about it.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:50 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHateoftheEconomy View Post
Normally I don't like to go on rants, but being human as I am, sometimes when the BS meter reaches critical mass I have to reach out to see if others are in the same boat. Anyway let me paint the picture. Me and my GF are both college graduates, and like anyone else struggle with the cost of living. My GF recently got laid off from her previous job and started working at a major retail store. When she took the job her hours were typical for retail, working 7 1/2 hours a day, so this way the business has no chance of you ever having to pay you overtime. Devious, but nothing out of the ordinary for retail.

Anyway this is where things start getting out of control, since she is on the team that sets up "planograms", or sets up shelving for product and marketing and such, they decide to move her hours to overnight. Without warning or anything of the sort suddenly from normal business hours she has to come in at midnight and work to 8am. Since we both work and struggle to even afford the cost of living where a basic humane apartment costs 1300 a month. She had to adjust, and decided to keep the job, at least until she tries to find better work.

Now this is where things get really wild, a few weeks later from working the overnight positions, the company decides to cut everyone in the overnight team's hours from 35 a week to 20. Because in the retail world 35 hours a week is considered "Full Time." They say, if you want to continue having a full time job and keeping your health benefits you have to operate on our new schedule. So since me and my gf are both in our mid 20's, and obviously can't live on her only working 20 hours a week she decides to take a look on the "new schedule".. get this..I'm not joking look at this inhumane new "schedule"

Monday - 12am - 8am
Tuesday - 5pm - Close
Wednesday - 12am -7am
Thursday - 4pm - Close
Friday - 12am - 8am

Seriously? How is the human body supposed to adjust sleep patterns to work all night then come in the next day for work during the daylight, and then instantly go back to working overnight!!!..My gf has been hearing of people almost getting into car accidents going into work because they can't sleep and stay awake. This is a MAJOR retail chain I am talking about here, not just a run of the mill mom and pop store. This is happening NATION-WIDE.

The reasoning for these hours that my GF has heard from department leads, is that instead of hiring different sets of people and paying each set for health insurance and employee insurance, the company saves money by combining the overnight team and day team and reducing the hours as see fit. NEVERMIND the fact that they are risking the health and safety of everyone making near MINIMUM WAGE.

Now of course there are people that are going to say, oh why not leave the job. But this is what I have to say to those people. The people who say that are usually the people who have a decent job. I should know because I have one myself. My GF has been searching for working and it is beyond difficult out there. In this economy, when you need to pay bills and rent, people take work to get by and expect to at least be treated like a human being. When I see my GF coming in from working and struggling now to go to sleep in weird hours and driving delirious, it really makes me question what is happening to this country. If this is allowed now, I wonder what will be allowed later on. This country is all about appeasing the stockholders, not the employees. I really wonder how workers like these stay sane. Would like to hear input from people in the same boat.
Welcome to what Obamacare wrought. The reason retailers are having to make these draconian cuts is because 30 hours is now considered full-time employment. And even the best of retailers have a hard time making it.

Here's the thing. Instead of carping about business (Given you don't seem to understand profit and loss), why not carp about the regulatory environment that's making it harder and harder for even established businesses make a profit?

Old 05-08-2015, 03:51 PM

How is me stating miserable retail conditions equating to me not understanding profit and loss. It is obvious as to WHY retailers are doing it..It is simple, more online shopping, changes to health care, different regulatory environment..all those things cause business owners to reduce labor as profit margins are in jeopardy. Common sense. My point of this entire post was not to find out the reasons WHY major retailers are doing it, that part is obvious. It is wondering how it is allowed in labor laws. A schedule as ridiculously as the one I posted with half overnight half daytime is ludicrous especially for near minimum wage, not to mention unhealthy. Every member on the team is miserable and are walking zombies. And as far as the topic of how retailers consider 30 hours full time? Give me a break. At minimum wage that's under 10k a year after taxes. Try living on that without being a total leech on the system. The concept of being an "at will" employer is being taken to a whole new level. What if the retailers deem 25 hours being full time all of a sudden, and leave 40 hours only to the manager. There is nothing saying they can't.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:10 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
I think they want your GF to quit. She should just move on as soon as she can.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:37 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
I work around dangerous equipment that can injure or kill in a split second. Some companies have gone to those crazy type of schedules that cuts deep into your sleep schedule. Once such example is working friday third shift, then second shift on Saturdy. With that schedule, I would be working 60-70 hours a week, and going one day with very little sleep. I can't just turn off like a light bulb.

I see they are still hiring, so I imagine they either operate like a revolving door, or simply have not found people willing to take the job. Most companies are just trying to squeeze out as much productivity with as few Sqft and as few workers as possible. I think there is a limit to how many people will submit to their demands though. I bargain and negotiate, which is something few know how to do anymore. I think it should be taught in school.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:13 PM

242 posts, read 244,550 times
It just sounds like she has a crap job. Not getting or seeking a new job is just an ongoing excuse to not "move on". If she is that unhappy she is entitled to be unhappy but she should also move it along. Maybe go work at another retail place with more standard hours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics