U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 03:29 PM

195 posts, read 173,491 times

Advertisements

Then why has the schools in California gone down hill since the State has accepted uncontrolled immigration and why has the poverty rate increased? With a huge population increase you would think everyone would be a millionaire in CA.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 03:33 PM

11,473 posts, read 5,504,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
More people in the economy, the more jobs. It's that simple.

I call BS on the OP's post:

Two Immigrants For Every New Job Since 2000 | The Daily Caller

Old 05-18-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Population growth is not being concentrated in urban areas. Suburbs are growing rapidly. We have enough room in the country for as much immigrants as possible.
^More BS

We are running out of potable water and buildable land. It's naive to think that all those large open spaces out west are suitable for building and have enough water available to sustain a huge influx of people.

How many people are too many for you? 1 billion? 2 billion? India has 1 billion people and not enough potable water---is that the kind of future you want for the USA?

Old 05-18-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, here's my input----

We recently moved, just cross town. I had lined up a moving crew of two brothers, white guys. They showed up on time, but just did one load, my dh made the mistake of paying them in advance, cash, they took off and left us with a ton more of stuff to move

I found a company that came out, for 3x the amount, and worked 2 hours, then split. FWIW, these were Black guys---ok African Americans, except some seemed to be speaking Spanish??---

There we were, we had given notice, had to be out that weekend----

I spied a group of Mexicans doing lawn work down the street. I do speak Spanish! I asked them if they would be willing to work to help us move. they said when they were finished with their lawn jobs. Then, they left. I thought they were just brushing us off. Then, about 9 pm that night, a group---about 10---came up. Just when we were ready to give up and go to a hotel! those guys worked with us until about 3 am! They worked until the job was done, and even refused my offer of $300, instead took $150, said they "understood the situation" and were glad to help!

Yep, they took away the job from the Americans!
It amazes me that people who would never pick up a hitchhiker think nothing of asking a group of strangers to come into their homes. Do you realize that should one of them had gotten injured while moving your items, your homeowner's insurance wouldn't cover it since the workers aren't licensed, bonded and insured? And don't think that they wouldn't sue you---there are lots of advocacy groups who would gladly help them get legal help for free.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:48 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,239,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
There are so many economic priniciples ignored here. First of all introducing more employees into the work pool increases supply and drives down wages. It takes wages forever to rebound from ANY decrease.
The reason why immigrants run a very arduous gauntlet in order to get here is JOBS. JOBS are the attraction. There is demand here for labor that immigrants can supply. If the native-born population could supply it, they would have. But they haven't. We need help from abroad, and that need will only be increasing as the population ages and the boomers start retiring in large numbers.

Here's waht you can do about it...

Old 05-18-2015, 03:52 PM

6,863 posts, read 7,714,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

This includes undocumented who filled jobs that were off the books. So this study is as vague at best.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:58 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,239,937 times
Quote:
This includes undocumented who filled jobs that were off the books. So this study is as vague at best.\
It's nothing but another lame-o hack-piece from a bunch of agenda-driven, immigrant-hating nativists.

By the way, the number of immigrants acually working off the books is marginal at best and it's small-time fly-by-night operators who tend to be involved. Most immigrants work for large, respectable employers who are in it for the long haul and do everything they can to remain within the law.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:05 PM

5,170 posts, read 4,730,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
If the native-born population could supply it, they would have. But they haven't.
Of course they can supply it! All the jobs the illegals are doing were done by citizens before they arrived.

Whatever it is you do for a living, I'm sure we could find qualified people from poor countries willing to do it for half as much. So why not?

Old 05-18-2015, 04:11 PM

3,754 posts, read 1,591,896 times
Quote:
More people in the economy, the more jobs. It's that simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezmzE8LYi8k
1. You are not looking at lower numbers in the work force.
2. Wages are stagnant.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
It's nothing but another lame-o hack-piece from a bunch of agenda-driven, immigrant-hating nativists.

By the way, the number of immigrants acually working off the books is marginal at best and it's small-time fly-by-night operators who tend to be involved. Most immigrants work for large, respectable employers who are in it for the long haul and do everything they can to remain within the law.

What a bigoted, hateful post!

Explain, please, what is wrong with expecting those who want to come here to do so in accordance with our immigration laws?

You are also unaware that not only do illegals work off the books, thus not paying any taxes but many engage in ID theft or use a fake SSN. So many native-born Puerto Ricans have been victims of ID theft by illegal aliens that the Puerto Rican government had to take the unprecedented step of declaring all PR-issued birth certificates null and void. Now if native-born PRs need a copy of their birth certificate, they have to jump through many hoops to get a secured, certified copy.

Right now, there are 8 million no-match SSNs in the work force. Did you know that it's legal for someone to use your SSN as long as they don't use your name with it? If someone is doing that, the SSA won't tell you. Instead, the IRS comes after you for not filing a return for a job you never worked.

I love how you lump illegal aliens in with legal immigrants. Doing so is an insult to those who obeyed our immigration laws and patiently awaited their turn to come here. Legal immigrants and non-immigrant visa holders have every right to work here. Illegal aliens have no business being here. Period.

Check the facts before you spout off hateful rhetoric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or