U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 11:45 PM

11,919 posts, read 13,245,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
The reality is most Americans do not want foreign workers coming in and taking their jobs, BUT, they have no problem with demanding cheaper prices on the goods and services they buy even if it means using a business that hires foreign workers to keep cost low.
Rubbish. It's extremely un-American to expect someone to suffer financially for your own gain. A fair day's pay for a fair day's work was the motto not too long ago in this country.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 06:06 AM

5,281 posts, read 4,560,668 times
This has ever been true.

I remember a report on 60 Minutes, maybe 30 years ago. It was about farmers in New England who had to fly Jamaicans in on airplanes to bring in their apple harvest. They were paid GOOD wages (not slave wages) plus the airfare plus room and board. They interviewed several unemployed americans who refused to do the work.

Let's face it, Americans have a sense of entitlement that can't compete with abject poverty in a third world country.

I don't get why people keep beating this 'Immigrants take our jobs' drum when the real issue is: Illegal immigrants don't pay income taxes and contribute to the infrastructure of the country.

What would happen if we started charging state and federal sales tax instead of income tax?

Old 05-19-2015, 06:30 AM

11,689 posts, read 16,437,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Rubbish. It's extremely un-American to expect someone to suffer financially for your own gain. A fair day's pay for a fair day's work was the motto not too long ago in this country.
Have you insisted to pay more for steak to have it cut by a union butcher?

Old 05-19-2015, 06:46 AM

1,923 posts, read 1,325,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I mean... it sounds simple and logical to me. However, bigotry and xenophobia are not logical.

What's not logical is the assertion that anyone who disagrees with you is bigoted and xenophobic....

which would mean I suppose that the policy of every non-Western nation on the planet is bigoted and xenophobic because none of them adhere to such a stupid self-destructive immigration policy as we do. Excuse me, I meant "such a wonderfully altruistic and multicultural immigration policy as we do".

And we do..

Old 05-19-2015, 06:49 AM

29,920 posts, read 34,517,946 times
You must not have been around the home construction business lately if you believe the title of this thread.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:58 AM

1,923 posts, read 1,325,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Illegal aliens generally do the jobs most Americans will not.

Who wants to pick tobacco by hand in North Carolina in August?

It's one of the few positions legally available for illegal aliens.

Who? Well I know tobacco picked by hand in North Carolina in August or any other month was done by American teenagers on Summer Vacation, at least when I was living in that part of the country.. I was one of them, and we were all born right here in this country. Illegal aliens come to this country to work because they CAN.... and it's smart because they get paid more money for the same menial work they would do back home for slave wages.

Then most of them send the money back home. That's smart too.

If this video touts such a brilliant economic fact, then ask yourself why every country on the planet isn't doing it. In fact, ask yourself why you can't pick up and go anywhere in the world you want to go and just start working there tomorrow like you were born there. Give it a shot.

Last edited by Led Zeppelin; 05-19-2015 at 07:08 AM..

Old 05-19-2015, 07:29 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,074,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Precisely true!

And what happens when you import a bunch of low-skill poor people who don't know english. Productivity declines. Why? Because cheap labor *decreases* the incentive to invest in labor saving tech and equipment. The guy above delivering food by bicycle is a good example.

If the imported workers were *higher* in skill and education than the median in the country, then you would expect a beneficial influence on the economy.
And the entire point of investing in labor-saving technology and equipment, automation, etc. is to reduce the number of human workers needed in production. And that means any human worker...American born, foreign born, white, black, yellow, other, male, female.......

The guy on the bicycle will have the last laugh.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:10 AM

8,305 posts, read 8,577,591 times
The argument that "Americans won't do these jobs and so we need immigrants" is at best a half truth.

What those who want to exploit labor fail to understand is that the market has a way of solving these problems too. If an employer has a job that has such bad working conditions and pay that no one wants to do it, he is going to have to raise pay and make the job more desirable if he wants to find workers. The real problem is many employers don't want to do that. In their minds, the market should only work one way--in their favor.

I suspect there would be no trouble finding workers to pick cherries, apples, or whatever if every worker earned the equivalent of $10.00 per hour. If the job requires undue physical exertion, the solution is to give more than the legally required breaks during the day. Set up tents out in the field and let the workers relax for longer periods. Provide plenty of gatorade and other beverages to help them deal with thirst and loss of electrolytes. Such an employer will have plenty of job applicants.

Will the cost of these things go up? Of course it will. However, that too, is the market in action.

There is no God-given right to employ someone in the USA at starvation wages.

I say tighten the borders, reduce illegal immigration, and the market will take care of many of these problems.

Last edited by markg91359; 05-19-2015 at 09:10 AM..

Old 05-19-2015, 08:45 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,239,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I say tighten the borders, reduce illegal immigration, and the market will take care of many of these problems.
Well, either the market or Cesar Chavez, may peace be upon him.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:24 AM

5,170 posts, read 4,730,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
And the entire point of investing in labor-saving technology and equipment, automation, etc. is to reduce the number of human workers needed in production. And that means any human worker...American born, foreign born, white, black, yellow, other, male, female.......
And why do you think that is a problem? We'd still be a nation of subsistence farmers without that.

Simple consumer capitalism. Tech reduces man-hrs needed to produce product or service, and this increases aggregate wealth. We all get richer providing new products and services, rinse and repeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or