U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 05:05 PM

6,863 posts, read 7,714,345 times

Advertisements

More people in the economy, the more jobs. It's that simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezmzE8LYi8k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 05:16 PM

11,919 posts, read 13,245,498 times
Thank goodness we have a 3 minute video that settles the debate!

And least the youtube comments were moderately entertaining/educational.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:43 AM

7,846 posts, read 5,032,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I mean... it sounds simple and logical to me. However, bigotry and xenophobia are not logical.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:55 AM

24,885 posts, read 11,599,261 times
From the video-"I dont know the optimal quantity"

I would argue we are past that point. And for those arguing that it doesn't impact wages...that's only if you have NO unemployment. This idiot seems to think that that is the case. Its nice to use the supply and demand idea, but that's not optimal when there's a secondary component. IE unemployment.

And on the high end, I can absolutely guarantee that adding more immigrants affects wages. software engineering for example doesn't suddenly grow in demand when more people are added. Once someone has written software, there's no real difference between 1 and 100 people using it to make their ATM deposits.

So yeah, its sounds nice and out of a textbook, it also ignores reality. The thing about it is...its almost right. Sure adding in 100 people creates 95 jobs......its that 5 job part that's painful.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:16 AM

64,530 posts, read 66,075,955 times
i don't know many american's who deliver Chinese food on a bicycle in the dead of winter.

there are so many jobs that american's do not want to do themselves.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:34 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,239,937 times
Place of birth has all the economic significance of being left-handed. About 10% of the population id left-handed, and about 13% is foreign-born. Both groups are integral parts of the US economy, as can easily be seen by anyone but a bigot.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:19 AM

5,170 posts, read 4,730,147 times
Quote:
Is there any chance for logic and rational thought to intrude?

Old 05-18-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i don't know many american's who deliver Chinese food on a bicycle in the dead of winter. there are so many jobs that american's do not want to do themselves.
As though delivering Chinese food by bicycle in the dead of winter is a job that desperately needs to be filled at minimum wage or less.

It amazes me when people profess to love freedom in the markets, but any time workers gain a natural advantage of some sort (ie ****ty job = higher pay) the solution isn't to increase pay to the market wage, but rather to import people who will work for slave wages in slave conditions.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:02 AM

6,863 posts, read 7,714,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
From the video-"I dont know the optimal quantity"

I would argue we are past that point. And for those arguing that it doesn't impact wages...that's only if you have NO unemployment. This idiot seems to think that that is the case. Its nice to use the supply and demand idea, but that's not optimal when there's a secondary component. IE unemployment.

And on the high end, I can absolutely guarantee that adding more immigrants affects wages. software engineering for example doesn't suddenly grow in demand when more people are added. Once someone has written software, there's no real difference between 1 and 100 people using it to make their ATM deposits.

So yeah, its sounds nice and out of a textbook, it also ignores reality. The thing about it is...its almost right. Sure adding in 100 people creates 95 jobs......its that 5 job part that's painful.

The software industry is one of many industries. The objection is consumer welfare, not employee welfare. An economy prospers on the basis of productivity, not what workers make. I know. It's hard for us to accept it, but it's true.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
An economy prospers on the basis of productivity
Precisely true!

And what happens when you import a bunch of low-skill poor people who don't know english. Productivity declines. Why? Because cheap labor *decreases* the incentive to invest in labor saving tech and equipment. The guy above delivering food by bicycle is a good example.

If the imported workers were *higher* in skill and education than the median in the country, then you would expect a beneficial influence on the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or