Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 01:45 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

I solved the bag drama years ago in Europe - LL Bean canvas bags with extended handles. The local WalMart cashiers know them. Yes, they get washed upon occasion. What goes into a bag that is unsanitary?

Boxed croutons are not a temptation.

Are you hoarding again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 01:52 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

Any unused bags can be taken back to HEB and put in their plastic bag recycle bin.

This exactly. I believe they have the drop boxes at each entry/exit

I also take my hangers back to the drycleaners

Old 05-22-2015, 01:52 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,394 times
Sigh.....my SO wants to buy EVERYTHING in the clearance aisle because we are "saving money". Some of the super low cost clearance items are HORRIBLE and I'm explaining that this is why canned yams were only 50 cents they suck.. We also end up throwing out fresh produce because he wants to buy in bulk EVERYTHING. I'm confused how we are saving money when half of it goes to squirrels or in the garbage???

Old 05-22-2015, 02:10 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
Sigh.....my SO wants to buy EVERYTHING in the clearance aisle because we are "saving money". Some of the super low cost clearance items are HORRIBLE and I'm explaining that this is why canned yams were only 50 cents they suck.. We also end up throwing out fresh produce because he wants to buy in bulk EVERYTHING. I'm confused how we are saving money when half of it goes to squirrels or in the garbage???
yes - its not a bargain if you don't use it. I learned this lesson a few years ago. I tried the bulk buying thing and what a waste. Especially for a one or two person household. Sure dry goods are okay, but most food?

Then the cost of storage? It is amazing how long things last. You think you need 10 tubes of toothpaste, when the most you might need are three regular sized ones each year. This is for one person - not a family.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:11 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I solved the bag drama years ago in Europe - LL Bean canvas bags with extended handles. The local WalMart cashiers know them. Yes, they get washed upon occasion. What goes into a bag that is unsanitary?

Boxed croutons are not a temptation.

Are you hoarding again?
I think I know the croutons of which she speaks of. They had them on sale at my HEB last month and I foolishly bought three! I just opened one yesterday.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:33 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Thursday, I went to my HEB to get fruit, salad makings, Feta, tortillas, & cat food. I walked in with two shopping bags...................

...................but "unfortunately", the high quality croutons were on sale and I rather filled my cart. With my bags limits exceeded, there was nothing to stop me from getting 10 cans of sardines and 5 cans of tomatoes (also used in salads) and a jar of peanut butter. I also picked up a jar of olives and another of capers, but those would have fit in the bag before the crouton revolution.

So as it was, had to add two more shopping bags to my purchase, $6 more, because I refuse to do plastic. SIGH, should have just taken more bags into the store but they are scattered all about.

So what does this have to do with economics? That, in part, how I shop is dictated by the shopping bags. Had the croutons not been on sale, I probably could have kept it down to be contained by the two bags I had.

Originally, I was thinking that just in the future, I ought to have full shopping trip bags in my cars, collections of bags stuffed in one big one, and just take that into the stores. But since today's buying decisions were made on the availability of one particular item, perhaps it ought to be take what bags you think you need and then one more overflow bag for the just in case.....and use that to limit the purchases.

Now, of course, we could say, "Alternately, you could just give up croutons........," but as that croutons are used in my salads, stews, & pastas (they have even replaced the loaves of bread for spaghetti), my standard fare of eating, that's really not possible.

As far as the shopping bags go, that's more ecological than economical and more emotional in I like the way they make me feel........which might explain why I am such a shopaholic when it comes to grocery shopping. But the cure to that probably is to adjust one's shopping and one's living to stockpiling once a month and then returning to the store only for the things that are needed more frequently such as fruits, lettuce, & avocados.............................

...............................and staying out of the crouton aisle.
shouldnt you just start by saying "im starting this thread to tell everyone how i like to use re-usable bags instead of plastic shopping bags"?

Old 05-22-2015, 03:03 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
shouldnt you just start by saying "im starting this thread to tell everyone how i like to use re-usable bags instead of plastic shopping bags"?
If you read the details of the post you will see she has more issues than just selecting a grocery bag.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
If you read the details of the post you will see she has more issues than just selecting a grocery bag.
are you serious?

Old 05-22-2015, 03:11 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,008 times
wtf...

dont people normally have a budget and a list

when i do the shopping i pretty much know how much xyz product costs...

people tend to often buy the same products some will have slight price fluctuations but still...

unless its one of those office depot bags that give you a % off everything that fits in the bag, the "bag" is irrelevant

Old 05-22-2015, 03:38 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
I have friends like the OP.

As for me, I generally take in two large fabric shopping bags, plus I stuff 3 - 4 plastic shopping bags in one in case I do find some good unadvertised specials that I use (or can give away) or buy extra meat. Aldi charges for bags, so I'm used to hauling in my own containers.

In general, I stick to my list, but I also try to include an extra $7-$10 for loss leaders. One year I ran into a whole display of marked-down strawberries that were getting old, fast. I bought half of the display and turned the berries into freezer jam that afternoon. I made enough to last almost a year for under $10! I use the jam on toast and in cookies and over ice cream. (:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics