Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 06:54 AM

26,181 posts, read 21,472,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
I stated the facts in Post #3. The "silly" stuff has come from all these others since.

Post a link to support that the use of K spread to mainstream because people wanted to be tech savvy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 07:01 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,647,566 times
I'm not responsible for wiping out ignorance in the world. If you can't do things for yourself, there is little that I can do for you.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:04 AM

26,181 posts, read 21,472,844 times
Quote:
I'm not responsible for wiping out ignorance in the world. If you can't do things for yourself, there is little that I can do for you.
This a multiple times now you have made a claim and not been able to support your claim. Someone with such superior intelligence should have the capability to easily provide proof to support their claims. Truth is you just make it up and pretend it's fact

Old 06-26-2015, 07:10 AM

Still sitting there doing nothing, then? The world is your oyster. Go out and explore it. Learn how many things you think you know that are completely and totally wrong. Their numbers are apt to be legion.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:12 AM

425 posts, read 389,725 times
Quote:

I see no analysis stating the transition to K usage was the result of increase in technology use.

Anecdotal as well: The use of a slang term (Gs) declined and a standard term (Ks) returned.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:20 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,292,706 times
Quote:
It's okay. You can think of 1K as being one thousand all you like. The fact that it isn't is not a real hindrance. You can always just pretend that the usage actually arose from within failed US metrication initiatives in the 1970's rather than from popularization of geek-speak in the 1990's. That's not what actually happened, but again, what would it matter.
Seems to matter to you...

Old 06-26-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
Seems to matter to you...
There is a lot of litter in the world that I can't personally pick up. Similarly, there is a lot of ignorance in the world that I can't personally correct. In each case, all I can do is pitch in where I can.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energystream View Post
I see no analysis stating the transition to K usage was the result of increase in technology use.
You didn't see such a claim either. Technology use is as old as the hills. What came along was a newish technology with its own insider lingo. Flashing bits of that lingo was a way to advertise an insider image, even if you didn't know what any of the terms actually meant. That's how the use of K broke out of its native world and into the pop-world. Those who live in the pop-world of course are often not aware of any of the others.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:16 AM

425 posts, read 389,725 times
You are suggesting to the poster you responded to research it. So you must have researched it yourself.

Now your comment makes me think your absolute truth of why G was switced to K is anecdotal.

No one is questioning that it might be a possible explanation. They are dimissing your conviction that it is the only explanation.

I find it funny you want to rid the world of ignorance, you should start with your own.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:16 AM

Is that more mewling I detect off in the distance? G was symbol used by low-brow tabloids and Edward G. Robinson. In those long ago days of yore when many new cars sold for less than three thousand dollars, ordinary people simply said and wrote the word "thousand". It wasn't a big deal. Later on, various forms of hipsterism began to come along. You inherited those and think this is the way things always were. Big mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics