Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 09:49 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
I agree that a Venezuelan switch to using the US dollar is much more than highly unlikely, but the hostility arrow points in quite the other direction. The Venezuelan government for years sent free home heating oil to hundreds of thousands of low-income Americans in cold weather states. In return, the US government funded efforts to destabilize the country, including the encouragement of armed coups against Venezuela's democratically elected leaders.
I don't believe the US government encouraged armed coups against the Venezuela leaders but I can believe that Chavez & Maduro constantly made that accusation.

As far as Chavez and Maduro, I work with about 15 Venezuelans and they all say terrible things about the governance they are getting including horrible corruption and crime that is completely out of control with a murder rate at the top in the world. Maduro apparently talks to Chavez through the medium of a dog is what I've been told.

But as you say, they are democratically elected so there you have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 10:30 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
Yes, unlike here, there actually are (brutal and murderous) oligarchs in Venezuela.
They don't need to be brutal and murderous, here. Not yet at least.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:07 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,655,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I don't believe the US government encouraged armed coups against the Venezuela leaders but I can believe that Chavez & Maduro constantly made that accusation.
You can believe whatever you like. People's beliefs didn't do anything to make WMDs more real, however. In extensions of long-standing US policies of meddling and intervention, we tried to kill Fidel Castro and overthrow Daniel Ortega, we did kill Ngo Dinh Diem and Salvador Allende, and we did help fund the 2002 coup in Venezuela through right-wing "free press" organizations (e.g., the National Endowment for Democracy) that funneled cash to media organizers and their counter-revolutionary goon squads.

Quote:
As far as Chavez and Maduro, I work with about 15 Venezuelans and they all say terrible things...
LOL! Do you know anything about selection-bias? What do you think you would hear about Obama from 15 people at a CPAC meeting?

Quote:
But as you say, they are democratically elected so there you have it.
Yes, there you have it. Unless the actual people who work and live and struggle in Venezuela are to be disenfranchised by soreheaded reactionaries and self-serving neo-colonialists.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:

LOL! Do you know anything about selection-bias? What do you think you would hear about Obama from 15 people at a CPAC meeting?

So I guess people who work is a selection bias....I'll take that biased group over non-working selection bias opinions. Unlike you, I have no pre-formed strong opinions about Venezuela and their government other than what I have heard from Venezuelans that I work with...and they are far from complementary. What is it that makes you think you know so much more about Venezuela than the 15 Venezuelans that I work with?

Old 06-27-2015, 02:21 PM

The fact that you live, work, and went to school in the United States, and that all of your Venezuelan friends very likely did and do as well, suggests that they do not come from among the peasant-folk of Venezuela, those being the large majority of the Venezuelan people. Rather it suggests that they come from among the small and murderous privileged oppressor class.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
The fact that you live, work, and went to school in the United States, and that all of your Venezuelan friends very likely did and do as well, suggests that they do not come from among the peasant-folk of Venezuela, those being the large majority of the Venezuelan people. Rather it suggests that they come from among the small and murderous privileged oppressor class.
I work in South America and they do as well and most did not go to school or work in the USA.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:29 PM

Ah, so that's why all your posts say Washington State. But do tell us then what sort of social class your workmates come from...peasants or oligarchs? If all the latter, that's what I meant by selection-bias. Not that hard a thing to understand, really. The CPAC example should have made things more than clear as day.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Ah, so that's why all your posts say Washington State. But do tell us then what sort of social class your workmates come from...peasants or oligarchs? If all the latter, that's what I meant by selection-bias. Not that hard a thing to understand, really. The CPAC example should have made things more than clear as day.
I work all over the world as a Consultant with an Engineering Company and been working in Peru for almost a year now but maintain my primary residence in Washington State. I don't know and don't care what their social class is or was only that they perform their work well, which they do.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
At this point, the peasants are yearning for the early Chavez years when Chavez had managed to raise incomes and standards of living for many families but before the public sector bungled with private sector so much that you had to send grandma out to stand in line for five hours to hopefully buy some scarce toilet paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics