Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 12:49 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,109,416 times

Advertisements

You can travel around the world and "interact". You can even bury yourself in a public library and try to learn on your own for free. Both could be valuable but neither would be a good substitute for what you can learn in college. There are lots of great colleges and universities where you can be inspired by scholars and leaders in their fields, where you can be introduced to new ideas, new ways of thinking, new ways of looking at the world, and where you can acquire of wealth of knowledge in many fields. You might also go to college to learn some employable skills. If that is the only reason for someone to go to college, they might acquire those skills but are likely to be otherwise no wiser or better educated than they were before. What a shame. I call that being fat, dumb and lazy even though not everyone in that category is physically overweight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 12:57 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,654,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
But, come to think of it, when has an 18 year old ever listened to good economic advice?
When has the mass of people over the age of 18 been capable of offering any?

Old 06-28-2015, 01:06 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
maybe, but from a financial sense, you could learn a lot just by traveling the country/world for 4 years too, I mean if you didn't care WHAT kind of job you got at the end of it. It might be a good job, might be bad... but college at least affords people the chance to tilt the in the direction that they want by connecting them with people in that industry. But it doesn't seem like many students realize the networking opportunities that colleges provide, and not just with other students but with the professors and internships too or at least they act like they don't take advantage of it.
Tell an employer that you travelled the world for four years and that is your education. Even Google wants to see degrees.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:10 PM

By age 17 or 18, kids have been in school for 10-12 years. Certainly they have had opportunities to learn basic math skill through beginning calculus. They have gained some knowledge of sciences, history, government, literature and the arts. They can express themselves orally and in writing, often in more than one language. Many have had opportunities to play several sports, to play musical instruments, and to appreciate some of the academic disciplines. They have started to learn about themselves, their interests, their individual strengths. The more selective colleges and universities will probe those young minds through recommendations, essays, interviews and any other means to try to find those with the strongest abilities and most passionate interests. By 17-18 or usually much younger, many kids will already have distinguished themselves in academics, in music, in sports and other activities. Those who have not achieved much used to skip college. In recent decades more are going on to college. They go to institutions which will accept them and their money. Many of those are none too demanding. They join into the herd of partiers and drinkers. Eventually many of them get degrees. Interestingly the most common degree is in "business", whatever that is supposed to mean.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Tell an employer that you travelled the world for four years and that is your education. Even Google wants to see degrees.
Not surprising. Google is a company that excels in highly technical areas. Sure they are also looking for non-technical people who are creative and innovative. That does not just happen by wandering around the world or by accident.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:15 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,382,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
but it went on for four years... yes you can blame their age on the first year, but what about the second, third or fourth years?

you know the saying, fool me once, fool me twice, etc?
AND then some even go back for a second degree/grad degree with no more planning than the first time around?
Oh come on....there are a few that really know what they want to do for the rest of their lives.
How does one really know? What is the percentage of people that really end of doing what they studied??!!
How do you expect someone who is 18,19, 20, 21, 22, etc to decide what they want to do for rest of their lives?

Around 40 I think I finally figured out what I should have studied. But it is okay...it all worked out and I am happy with my life. If I had to do it all over again, knowing what I know now---I would have taken a completely different path.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:45 PM

68 posts, read 56,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Not surprising. Google is a company that excels in highly technical areas. Sure they are also looking for non-technical people who are creative and innovative. That does not just happen by wandering around the world or by accident.
the exec at google who died on mt. everest pretty much did just travel around the world

and getting a sweet job in silicon valley is often by accident

Old 06-28-2015, 05:26 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,359,794 times
Well, if all clothes were unaffordable, say $1,000 for a shirt, $100 for a pair of socks, would you walk around naked? No, because you consider clothes to be a necessity, especially in cold weather.

The same for higher education - it is still a necessity, at least for most, even if unaffordable.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:58 PM

579 posts, read 664,223 times
Just that college is a rather peculiar commodity.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
Just that college is a rather peculiar commodity.
Not a commodity...a service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics