Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 12:31 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Many kids enter college without a solid direction. You don't understand or disagree?

2 years at a more local community school can be much cheaper. For instance staying at home can be a very big savings. If someone is local to a major university, they might offer a cheaper 2 year program there. My kids cost me about $2K/mo for their living expenses at their universities.

In our town we have the best of both worlds. We have a cheap community college, and now a small branch of ASU. Also cheap compared to to the full university.

https://havasu.asu.edu/
Almost everywhere I have been the CC is cheaper than a university. I do agree, I'm saying it almost never makes financial sense to not go the CC to university route regardless of whether they have direction or not.

It appears your option is close, but for most it looks closer to the Tempe or Phoenix location vs. Mohave CC, which is $80/credit hour.

So to go to Havasu campus for ASU is 6.5k/yr (really great price).
to go to Mohave CC (assuming 30 credits for year one) is 2.4k. That's still 4k/yr and if you look at the other CC campuses it's an 8k/yr difference and that is typical of what I have seen being the cost difference between the doing your first 2 years at a CC first vs. 2 years at a state university (just tuition).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 01:31 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,654,781 times
Trying to monetize everything is taking a good thing much, much, much too far. A Yugo was always cheaper than a Mercedes, and for a while at least, both were likely to get you from Point-A to Point-B. This does not mean that the Yugo was a wiser buy.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
Trying to monetize everything is taking a good thing much, much, much too far. A Yugo was always cheaper than a Mercedes, and for a while at least, both were likely to get you from Point-A to Point-B. This does not mean that the Yugo was a wiser buy.
True, but right now we have a lot of people complaining that student loan debt is crushing them. A Mercedes is a nicer car than a Honda, is better built, and will likely last longer. It's probably worth more beyond just the name. If you can afford it and you have decided it is the car you want go for it. The problem is we have people buying Mercedes' because people are telling them to not look at the price tag. Then we have people that aren't getting jobs that can pay what they owe on the Mercedes. Unfortunately, unlike a car you can't bankrupt your "Mercedes" degree.

We don't have the wisdom of hindsight when we are deciding whether to go to Yale and take on that 120k in student loans or go to CC and finish up at the University of Missouri with 30k in student loans.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:15 PM

If you have the opportunity tio go to Yale (or the like), you should take it and worry about how to finance it later. People coming out of Yale (or the like) are NOT filing for bankruptcy because of that choice.

Receiving an acceptance letter from Yale, then deciding instead to go do two years at some local CC and then two at the University of Missouri so as to save on education costs would be a STUPID decision. There is no other word for it.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
If you have the opportunity tio go to Yale (or the like), you should take it and worry about how to finance it later. People coming out of Yale (or the like) are NOT filing for bankruptcy because of that choice.

Receiving an acceptance letter from Yale, then deciding instead to go do two years at some local CC and then two at the University of Missouri so as to save on education costs would be a STUPID decision. There is no other word for it.
lol, ALWAYS a STUPID decision, no other words for it.

I ended up exactly where I wanted. With a PhD in my field, no debt, and a very nice income doing exactly what I want. I actually had a few people in my cohort and the cohorts above/below me that went to top 20 UG schools. We ended up in the same place, only they had 100k in debt. They may not be going bankrupt. But they definitely are worrying about paying off that 100k.

I'd take my decision with no debt over Yale and the same outcome with 120-140k in debt any day.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:40 PM

I am happy for your perceived success, but personal anecdotes do not constitute evidence of anything. You might have been much happier and more prosperous as the Ambassador to Belgium that you might have become had you managed to go to Yale.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:45 PM

813 posts, read 600,907 times
As the son of 2 factory workers I can only say that the cost of college was one of the best purchases I have ever made. Well, actually the military paid most of it, but you get my drift.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I am happy for your perceived success, but personal anecdotes do not constitute evidence of anything. You might have been much happier and more prosperous as the Ambassador to Belgium that you might have become had you managed to go to Yale.
You said it would be a stupid decision to pass up Yale regardless of price. Anecdotes work perfectly fine when providing counter-evidence to absolute statements. Considering I knew I wanted to become an I/O Psychologist summer before college started, not sure how going to Yale would have set me up any better.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
You said it would be a stupid decision to pass up Yale regardless of price. Anecdotes work perfectly fine when providing counter-evidence to absolute statements. Considering I knew I wanted to become an I/O Psychologist summer before college started, not sure how going to Yale would have set me up any better.
Let's stick to the facts as stated. Did you in fact have an acceptance letter in hand from Yale? If you did not, then my statement did not apply to you. If you did and went to the University of Missouri instead, then you made a stupid decision, regardless of how well things might seem to have turned out for you since.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Let's stick to the facts as stated. Did you in fact have an acceptance letter in hand from Yale? If you did not, then my statement did not apply to you. If you did and went to the University of Missouri instead, then you made a stupid decision, regardless of how well things might seem to have turned out for you since.

Lol, ok. As I said. I went to grad school with several people that were from top 20 schools. We ended up at the same place, yet I was 100k up. I did not even apply to those schools, too expensive. I did get acceptances from 2 other top 25 schools though. Still too expensive. It clearly would not have been a stupid decision if I ended up where I wanted to be and it happened to be the same place the people that did not make the "stupid" decision did.

Was the kid that turned down those Ivies to go to Bama for free make a stupid decision?

Also, where do you draw the line. In your world where it is ALWAYS a stupid decision to consider money when deciding where to attend school? what about Northwestern or Mizzou? Notre Dame or Illinois? Where is the line drawn?

Last edited by mizzourah2006; 07-01-2015 at 03:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics