Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2015, 09:39 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I think your number 1 is the only rational objection. Now if we wanted we could pass a law or a Constitutional Amendment that says ever American has a right to an account with some institution that can be penetrated only by a court order with specific conditions . How protected it is would depend on the conditions we decide upon.

Cash actually has no more protection. The gov can and does cease cash on rather flimsy rationale. The only thing better about cash is the ability to physically hide it. In fact though I suspect one can hide a bank account about as well with a little skill.

The others don't really hold water. Cash can of course be hacked. And is fungible. So it is actually worse than a bank account.

And after looking at it for a while the major reasons for cash, other than nuisance, are not legal.
The government of the USA has not 'ceased cash' since a couple of obsolete denominations of coins were demonitized in the 1870's. All US paper money since the 1860's is still valid for its face value in modern currency.

Hiding a bank account? THAT would be fraud. And get you in trouble with Homeland Security to boot.

Seriously, cash can be hacked? It can't be hacked anymore that my bicycle or my shoes. Do you even understand what being hacked means?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 09:40 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
It's a HORRIBLE idea. For practical reasons...what do you do when the electricity goes out? In CA where I live, it goes out when it rains!

But more importantly because that means they can track every purchase you make. No privacy. Of course, this is exactly what the global elites pushing their New World Order want. They want us to worship comfort, convenience, and security above all else since they will have the upper hand if cash is done away with. And ultimately, what they want is to microchip everyone. I'm sure that will also be sold to us as "convenient" and "more secure", too.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:42 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Feel free to assert anything you like. Your assertion is dead wrong. Nobody cares about the cost 'to the economy', the real cost is the cost to individual businesses. If my business sells $10,000 in merchandise today for cash, at the end of the day I drop it in the night deposi at my bank and in the morning I am debited $10,000 to my account. If I sell $10,000 for credit, the MOST I will have debited to my account is $10,000 LESS $175 to $250 for transaction fees. Then it takes 2 to 4 days to be deposited in my account. THEN, at any time, the money can be taken OUT of my account by the credit card companies due to fraud or suspected fraud by the purchaser, or can be charged back by an unhappy or scamming customer for months after the transaction.

This is the same argument that people use to try and make handguns illegal. Doesn't work for that, and won't work for this either.

Again, don't hurt legitimate business to root out the crooks.

Literally nobody cares whether or not YOU are convinced. I'm sure your fascist utopia where every transaction is reported to the government seems like a good idea to you, but if I lend $100 to my brother, give $5 to a guy to feed his kids, or buy a case of beer and a box of condoms at the Piggly Wiggly, I don't feel the need to report it to Big Brother. And I never will.
Amazing how some messages are composed of insults and opinions displaying emotion and no reality.

One would presume these people are engaged in small business whose survival is based on using cash to evade the law.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:42 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
I think you forgot that credit card companies provide the card holder with protection...

even if he steals the number, you aren't forced to pay for it...

unlike with cash, if someone robs you and spends the cash, you are out that amount... with a credit card, they can steal it, and you are still protected by the company
This is an unconvincing argument for me. The amount of damage someone could cause with the other contents of my wallet/purse (i.e., phone, license, & keys) is much more extensive than losing a small or even moderate amount of money. Regardless of whether or not I'm carrying cash, I keep a tight grip on my bag at all times.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I would think it's easier to track your spending with credit cards than cash. With credit, I can always log into my account and see my recent transactions and current balance. That can't be done with cash.

And technologically, we could have credit cards with a small lcd display that could show total charges that day/week/month/etc, total balance, and minimum payment due.
Lol!

You don't need smartphones or the Internet to tell you how much cash is in your wallet.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:04 AM

47 posts, read 30,749 times
Did anyone say how its fiat money and that its also backed with a gold system which is why the dollar has value in the first place. Cant do away with cash because its currently the most effective trading system we have , the cant get rid of it yet unless you have a stack of metals lying around lol trade those you may be a little successful.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
I think you forgot that credit card companies provide the card holder with protection...

even if he steals the number, you aren't forced to pay for it...

unlike with cash, if someone robs you and spends the cash, you are out that amount... with a credit card, they can steal it, and you are still protected by the company
Yes, they provide protection, eventually. As long as you report it in a timely manner. But they don't help if the person who stole your identity uses it to open additional credit cards. With cash, all you can have stolen is what you have.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Amazing how some messages are composed of insults and opinions displaying emotion and no reality.

One would presume these people are engaged in small business whose survival is based on using cash to evade the law.
Presume away. It's worked so well for you so far.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:23 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
I think your number 1 is the only rational objection. Now if we wanted we could pass a law or a Constitutional Amendment that says ever American has a right to an account with some institution that can be penetrated only by a court order with specific conditions . How protected it is would depend on the conditions we decide upon.

Cash actually has no more protection. The gov can and does cease cash on rather flimsy rationale. The only thing better about cash is the ability to physically hide it. In fact though I suspect one can hide a bank account about as well with a little skill.

The others don't really hold water.
Care to elaborate or are you just being oppositional?

Quote:

Cash can of course be hacked.
Not in my universe. Do you live inside the Matrix?

Old 07-18-2015, 10:42 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Lol!

You don't need smartphones or the Internet to tell you how much cash is in your wallet.
Well you have to remember there are people who need an app on their phone to look at where they're going so they don't walk into a telephone pole or fountain. You know they can no longer just look where they're going.

The dumbing down is moving forward as planned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics