Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 06:41 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Link - The Atlantic

From the article:

Summary: Millennials who graduated with zero debt and a free car are in a much better position than someone who graduated with a pile of debt and his parents' best wishes. This really compounds when parents can/will bankroll an unpaid internship and a downpayment on one's first home.
Others that do quite well are those that manage to get through school nearly debt free because they were poor and got crap loads of grants and scholarships.

My friends daughters college cost is around 5k a year due to low income, being first one in their family to go to school etc. My kids have to pay full price less any academic scholarships they manage to land.

Oh and for the eite schools like Yale, Harvard etc. if you are "poor" it's free if you can get in.

Bottom-line it's not exactly a shocker that having rich parents can really ease your transition to adult life.

It's also not a shocker that the millenials that are in the deepest poop with huge student loans and a meh degree made that choice and could have taken different paths.

What are we supposed to take away from this? Rich people have it easy and are bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 06:48 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It's true if you live in the Bay Area. The so called high paid tech workers can't afford a median priced house here. Not an exaggeration. And most homes are selling for a huge amount of cash. Median in your metro equals the cash downpayment over here.

Unless there is a huge market correction, i need to quadruple my income in order to afford a basic house/middle class family lifestyle. And my income is above average.

A study said millenials need to save for roughly 30 years to afford a downpayment for a median priced home in SF right now.
You could do what my friend did that worked in San Diego and had the same experience. Move.

Either that or figure out some crazy-cheap living arrangement.

20+ years ago I got married and paid for much of the wedding and the house downpayment while my wife who made about the same income did not.

I lived in a house with 3 other people and had no car.
She had her own studio in a nice neighborhood...and a car.
That meant that I saved about 1/3 of my income while she just broke even.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:58 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I am a Millenial. Almost all of my generation who had well to do parents did better than those of us who don't, but I guess that's true of every generation.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:06 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
If only my father had been richer.

I would have most likely:
Gone to college instead of work, then the military.
Bought a house a decade earlier.
Started my career a decade earlier

Thats the point. That lost decade? It matters. It matters a LOT.
Story of my life.

I'm doing reasonably well for myself these days. About the same as kids 10 years younger than me with upper middle class parents.

My bosses have mostly been guys my age... who grew up with upper middle class parents.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
you dont need rich parents you need smart parents and kids that listen to them.
all the winners i know took jobs overseas something unthinkable to average X Y Z

Old 07-18-2015, 07:23 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar
If only my father had been richer.

I would have most likely:
Gone to college instead of work, then the military.
Bought a house a decade earlier.
Started my career a decade earlier

Thats the point. That lost decade? It matters. It matters a LOT.
I don't understand... anyone joining the military out of high school spent the same amount of time... you didn't start your career later, you just changed career from military to civilian...

Old 07-18-2015, 07:25 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,797 times
What about Millennials who worked hard in high school and received scholarships, like me? I have little debt (<$6,000) because of my hard work in high school. It has paid dividends. I agree with the poster who said that young people don't have goals. I had goals coming into college, but even I'm starting to question if I'm on the right path.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:17 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
I had goals coming into college, but even I'm starting to question if I'm on the right path.
that's good... it's how life works...

why do you want as life that is just a single path? questions and looking for the answers is what makes it fun

Old 07-18-2015, 11:09 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
that's good... it's how life works...

why do you want as life that is just a single path? questions and looking for the answers is what makes it fun
The older I get, the more I realize this. At 17, I looked at college and life in general as linear. At 19 (I'll be 20 next month), I realize that deviations from the original path is not a bad thing at all. In fact, it IS fun! I thought I would leave community college after 4 semester. This upcoming semester will be my 5th due to a prestigious research opportunity I took up. While I may be here for longer, I don't mind at all. I have great friends, a free room in the dorms, and a great life up at college!

Old 07-19-2015, 04:25 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,655,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I am a Millenial. Almost all of my generation who had well to do parents did better than those of us who don't, but I guess that's true of every generation.
No, as we've just heard, the kids of well-to-do parents in the 1960's suffered through multiple divorces, died in plane crashes, and grew up to own cars that won't start. Try to keep up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics