Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 02:06 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,521,504 times

Advertisements

Tide is the most commonly stolen item from stores, and some drug dealers even accept it instead of money.

I've also heard of rings of shoplifters who set up illegal stores (often near rented storage unit places) and sell Tide and other stolen items.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o....0.tGh8IWusYok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 02:08 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Things other than cash have been traded for a long time. A google search containing most stuff from 2013 is interesting though

Old 07-19-2015, 02:12 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,521,504 times
I wonder what the second and third most commonly used items are.

My wild guess is toothpaste or maybe paper towels? Maybe AA batteries.

Other story: some people steal skin lotion without stealing the container. They scoop out some lotion and put it in their pocket.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:15 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,339 times
It was a shocker three years ago when I went to the CVS in an affluent neighborhood to buy some laundry soap in a pinch and saw security tags on the tide.

I bought a bottle (way more than I needed) just to ask the clerk why they were tagged. Crazy world.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:51 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,653,990 times
As long as Wisk is safe, I don't really care what happens to Tide.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Default Tide Trade

Those who steal Tide tend to be male drug addicts. It has a higher reward- lower risk factor that time honored activities like breaking and entry. Some stores experience $10-20,000 in Tide losses a year.

Most of it gets sold directly or indirectly to small business retailers.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:11 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,384 times
Those containers are heavy! The average skinny junkie is definitely getting a workout sneaking them out of stores. And it's got to be tough to stash one under a t-shirt so it can't be seen.

Well, if they were smart, they wouldn't be junkies in the first place.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:13 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post

Other story: some people steal skin lotion without stealing the container. They scoop out some lotion and put it in their pocket.
I've purchased shampoo and other hair products in the past, only to find out it was water or dish soap or cheap conditioner. A thief buys the product, empties the bottle, refills it with something cheap and takes it back to get the cash back...and the clerk puts it back on the shelf for the next unsuspecting person to buy.

That's why I buy online now...

Old 07-21-2015, 12:28 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,538 times
This has been going on for 10 years or more. Anything that can easily be resold on the streets or in flea markets are targeted by thieves and junkies. I used to work in loss prevention (store security), and shoplifters would regularly come in and try to steal large quantities of cologne for resale. When they were apprehended, many would tell us that they were planning on reselling it and some mentioned drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Those containers are heavy! The average skinny junkie is definitely getting a workout sneaking them out of stores. And it's got to be tough to stash one under a t-shirt so it can't be seen.
Very few try to hide large items or quantities. Usually these types of thefts involve staging several bottles in a cart by an exit and running out the door with them when no one is close enough to grab them before they get to a vehicle. I once saw a duo throw the entire metal shopping cart into a truck bed and speed off. I got into a fist fight with a woman that was high as a kite. I let her get away because she was getting too wild. She dropped an open bottle of Gorilla Glue she was huffing before she ran out.

Quote:

Anything that everyone uses that can be resold and isn't easily traced (no serial numbers).

For example: Detergents, deodorant, cologne, expensive makeup, and baby formula is a huge one.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:46 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:

Toilet paper! A BARE necessity! You can WIPE out the competition with it!

That and the new wipes for that "not so fresh feeling"....that allow you to go 'commando'.

And baby diapers get stolen here a lot I guess, but They ARE rather expensive.

Don't know.

Gee, and I use ALL FREE & CLEAR!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics