Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 09:17 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,648,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Wouldn't bankers want to charge higher interest rates and make more money?
Not necessarily when they can borrow money for less and make more in the stock market. They would rather do that than lend money out in the housing market where with interest rates low they can't make much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 05:34 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,828,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Not necessarily when they can borrow money for less and make more in the stock market. They would rather do that than lend money out in the housing market where with interest rates low they can't make much.
You Stock Market folks are something else. You want to continue to screw everybody else over with these low rates and Forever QE, just to keep the air in the bubble of the Stock Market so you can eventually get to what? DOW 25,000?

This Fed must have been paid off by Wallstreet or something. The rates should have BEEN increased back to at least some type of balanced level or "fair" level. Why Savers and CD guys have to get utterly SCREWED, while you guys sit on an inflated Stock Bubble, is insane to me.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:43 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b2UGHHaZRg

^^ You guys need to listen to Schiff

Old 08-26-2015, 07:32 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
You Stock Market folks are something else. You want to continue to screw everybody else over with these low rates and Forever QE, just to keep the air in the bubble of the Stock Market so you can eventually get to what? DOW 25,000?

This Fed must have been paid off by Wallstreet or something. The rates should have BEEN increased back to at least some type of balanced level or "fair" level. Why Savers and CD guys have to get utterly SCREWED, while you guys sit on an inflated Stock Bubble, is insane to me.
I think LeavingMA is largely on your side, but I would ask you also, what's wrong with the current rate? Public demand for spending is low, and demand for lending/saving is high. That leads to low interest rates. The Fed is lending at a low interest rate. That all sounds very much in keeping with supply/demand theory to me. You sound like a cabby complaining that Uber is driving down prices with the abundance of supply.

You're getting screwed because there are lots of other savers like you competing and driving down interest rates. What you're demanding is not a free market, you're demanding price controls to elevate the earned interest of savers.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:49 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I think LeavingMA is largely on your side, but I would ask you also, what's wrong with the current rate? Public demand for spending is low, and demand for lending/saving is high. That leads to low interest rates. The Fed is lending at a low interest rate. That all sounds very much in keeping with supply/demand theory to me. You sound like a cabby complaining that Uber is driving down prices with the abundance of supply.

You're getting screwed because there are lots of other savers like you competing and driving down interest rates. What you're demanding is not a free market, you're demanding price controls to elevate the earned interest of savers.
I love it and my kids love. The low rates of course have been good for stock assets. And I can borrow at 3% while I make 15% on the money. My kids bought their home at the lowest interest rate point a few years back. What's not to like?

Old 08-26-2015, 10:04 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,891 times
Quote:
I love it and my kids love. The low rates of course have been good for stock assets. And I can borrow at 3% while I make 15% on the money. My kids bought their home at the lowest interest rate point a few years back. What's not to like?
Well, the low interest rates are an effect of a sluggish economy (that's the low spending demand part of the supply/demand equation), so what's not to like is the high unemployment rate and stagnant wages. On the balance it's probably good for stock barons like us () but not great for our countrymen as a whole.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Well, the low interest rates are an effect of a sluggish economy (that's the low spending demand part of the supply/demand equation), so what's not to like is the high unemployment rate and stagnant wages. On the balance it's probably good for stock barons like us () but not great for our countrymen as a whole.
I just don't see how raising interest rates will help employment and wages, which I agree are our major problems.

Anyone investing in the stock markets and/or a home, which includes vast numbers of us in the middle class, have benefited from low rates.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:30 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,321 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b2UGHHaZRg

^^ You guys need to listen to Schiff
I like Schiff actually.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
^^ Perfect example of how the Fed creates a Market Bubble. This guy has now become addicted to low borrowing rates and inflated stock prices, so when then Fed goes to increase rates it will be investors like this guy who will be threatening anarchy.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
^^ Perfect example of how the Fed creates a Market Bubble. This guy has now become addicted to low borrowing rates and inflated stock prices, so when then Fed goes to increase rates it will be investors like this guy who will be threatening anarchy.
If one stays smart one can gain and avoid losses. The stock and housing markets have their cycles. Snooze you lose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics