Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 05:52 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,526 times

Advertisements

https://www.rt.com/business/314732-c...s-dollar-yuan/

According to the article above, China intends on launching its own oil benchmark. China is actually the 4th largest oil producer in the world behind the US, Saudi, and Russia.

What sort of affect will this have on our long term economy and what potential strongholds do Chinese companies have in the oil market?

For example, the US and Saudi Arabia have had a long term relationship whereby, oil is traded in US dollars.

How could China convince other countries to trade petroleum in Yuan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 07:23 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
So they will buy from Russians using their currency, the one that is currently "controlled" and in a slump?

Explain how Russia is going to be happy with that? Sure they will most likely make the deal, but Russian economy is down and heavily reliant on oil sales... Do they really want to rely on a country that manipulates their currency?

but hey, if it gets china to stop messing with their currency, then that's good news. If they don't make their exports cheaper, which means our imports will be more costly so it promotes "local" goods (local being this side of the world, nafta)

Old 09-08-2015, 08:33 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
What sort of affect will this have on our long term economy...
It will lower your Standard of Living significantly and force you to alter your life-style.

Do you have a room/house-mate? You may end up sharing or living with family to make ends meet.

Quote:
For example, the US and Saudi Arabia have had a long term relationship whereby, oil is traded in US dollars.

Simply make the choice available to them.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:52 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
I think it would be good. The USD is too fragile up and down because it goes inversely (not exactly but pretty much) to what happens with the oil price. Maybe have half of the oil traded in USD and the other half in Yuan. Make it so.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:15 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think it would be good. The USD is too fragile up and down because it goes inversely (not exactly but pretty much) to what happens with the oil price. Maybe have half of the oil traded in USD and the other half in Yuan. Make it so.
China recently devalued their currency overnight by edict. China's Yuan is not yet ready to become a world class currency. There remain too many unknowns and capital controls by their central commanders. In fact the IMF just put them off another year for consideration. IMO it will happen, just not soon. Maybe in the 5 - 10 year time frame the Yuan will have significant worldly presence. Oil, trade, investment and whatever.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:48 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:

I think you have it backwards. Oil moves at times based on the fluctuation in USD valuation not the other way around. I don't think very many would call the USD fragile either

Old 09-09-2015, 12:57 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
https://www.rt.com/business/314732-c...s-dollar-yuan/

More than likely a basket of currencies will replace the USD.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I think you have it backwards. Oil moves at times based on the fluctuation in USD valuation not the other way around. I don't think very many would call the USD fragile either
They work in concert but the oversupply of oil and resulting oil drop has vastly fueled the dollars rise. Volatile may be a better word to describe the dollar than fragile.

I work in Peru and since I arrived just over a year ago, the USD has gone from 2.59 PEN to 3.22 PEN today.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
China recently devalued their currency overnight by edict. China's Yuan is not yet ready to become a world class currency. There remain too many unknowns and capital controls by their central commanders. In fact the IMF just put them off another year for consideration. IMO it will happen, just not soon. Maybe in the 5 - 10 year time frame the Yuan will have significant worldly presence. Oil, trade, investment and whatever.
If you're right, it's based on others having confidence in China and the Yuan. So I agree that it would be risky but I've also worked in China and I believe they would do everything they could to keep the confidence of buyers of the Yuan. But on the whole, I agree they don't seem ready for this. I was just saying I think it would be good for the USD overall.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:16 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
They work in concert but the oversupply of oil and resulting oil drop has vastly fueled the dollars rise. Volatile may be a better work that fragile.

I work in Peru and since I arrived just over a year ago, the USD has gone from 2.59 PEN to 3.22 PEN today.
They don't work in concert. The USD strength or weakness impacts oil's price not the other way around. Also the price movement is necessarily volitility in the dollar as currencies trade in pairs, it may be your Peruvian dollars that are fragile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics