Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 04:25 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times

Advertisements

The Fed is a private entity that somehow gained control of money issuance in the USA. That began in 1913 and its been downhill ever since. They are destroying the US dollar as we speak, to protect the balance sheets of their member banks.
Look at what things cost these days. College tuition, out of sight. Medical expenses, through the roof. And people are paying $100,000,000 for NYC condos. In other words, the Fed is stealing our money. It's almost worthless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 06:30 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,457,265 times
Some history...
Who Owns the Federal Reserve?

If the Fed did what it was intended to do without reducing competition (see objective 5) it wouldn't be as much of an issue to most everyone who rails against it because there would be some market dynamics

Old 09-10-2015, 06:51 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Look at what things cost these days.
What a massive fail.

Quote:
College tuition, out of sight.
Interest Inflation. That's caused by your Congress and not the Federal Reserve.

Quote:
Medical expenses, through the roof.
That is caused by a combination of Demand-pull Inflation and Cost-push Inflation, neither of which are caused by the Federal Reserve.

Quote:
And people are paying $100,000,000 for NYC condos.
That is due to Demand-pull Inflation, which is not caused by the Federal Reserve.

Quote:
In other words, the Fed is stealing our money. It's almost worthless.
Uh, no, in other words, you don't understand Economics.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:11 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Pont View Post
Conspiracy theorists: The fed isn't some magical organization made to strictly help the rich. Their purpose is to keep inflation in check (we NEED SOME inflation, deflation is toxic for the economy because it destroys new capital spending and hurts standard of living) and protect the US economy from economic downturns. So remember: it's not some hair-brained conspiracy to make the rich richer, that's just a side effect of big business.

Libertarians: Capitalism is not perfect on its own. Business is like a mischievous child, if not supervised it can get into a lot of trouble (and Uncle Sam is like a caring uncle who baby sits his nephew and punishes him if he misbehaves). If it were not for the Federal Reserve the 1929 stock market crash and 2008 crash would have been much worse. There is no way Wall Street would have stopped panic selling and we would have been much deeper in the pile. We needed a strong government agency to defend us and help make it easier to borrow to stimulate out economy. The damage was great so it took until now to truly see results.
Well considering the Federal Reserve is a bunch of bankers and former Goldman Sachs guys (a lot are), I wouldn't say they are looking out for the middle class. They might say their job is to keep inflation in check, but many will argue they haven't done that. Yes, they will use their manipulated inflation statistics to say there is no inflation; but most of us know that is a joke.

Libertarians don't believe capitalism is perfect, just that it is the best and fairest system when working correctly. Libertarians aren't against a government having some control, they just don't want government involved in everything. I wouldn't argue government is this great system either as it has more then its share of corruption. Nothing will be perfect as long as men are in control of anything.

Your argument that had the Federal Reserve not got involved after the 1929 and 2008 stock market it would have been much worse is a hypothetical that would be difficult to prove. Many could also point out that the crashes in 1929 and 2008 would not have been nearly as bad or maybe not happened had the Federal Reserve not been around, or not been as involved in the years preceding those crashes.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:34 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
There are no actual economic cycles. A lot of time and money have been spent in trying to identify cycles somewhere, but none have yet been found.
The Kondratiev Cycle.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:18 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,185 times

Old 09-10-2015, 08:27 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,287 times
We loonies simply don't trust the Federal reserve based on a few well written articles . When the market crashes to 6000 then 3300 loss of 3.3 trillion this next kicker on the horizon these little shebbas walk with their pockets packed with loot. They never lose!! You be sukas they be hee hee boys!!! BUT here is the pay back for well healed characters the loot will be worthless!!! Ho ho ho merry Christmas boys and girls!!!!

Last edited by openmike; 09-10-2015 at 08:42 PM..

Old 09-10-2015, 08:35 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
We loonies simply don't trust the Federal reserve based on a few well written articles . When the market crashes to 6000 then 3300 loss of 3.3 trillion this next kicker on the horizon these little shebbas walk with their pockets packed with loot. They never lose!! You be sukas they be hee hee boys!!! Cluelessness is close to duh !
Yep, and the Mossad did 9/11. There's just way to much evidence pointing in their direction.

So tomorrow we can all think of that on the 14th anniversary of that criminal act of sabatoge by our supposed "greatest ally" in the world (LOL!).

Old 09-10-2015, 08:44 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,287 times
Nah it was 12 from the house of Saud and an Atta Egyptian goof ball. About 325 Jews died in the towers. The Massad may have suspected something and Intel would have warned. Meanwhile the cells we suspected when living in Clearwater Fl. Predominantly males indoctrinated wives and kids that Jews were to blame for 9/11 . They were vehement and that Bin Laden was murdered lol. Israel is such an easy target. Of course we know now 9/11 was a series of Harbingers leveraged off Isaiah 9:10 ( found interestingly or not on September 11 in the daily bible!! Oops too many seculars spoil the brooth. 9/11 was Gods judgment nothing else end of story. Sadly many were lost as in Isaiah 9:10 by the first terrorists Assyrians ( the same lineage as ISIS) oh my! Up from the bowel of hell eh ?

Last edited by openmike; 09-10-2015 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: formating issues

Old 09-10-2015, 09:03 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
There's a voluble and almost shrill viewpoint claiming that in normal times, it should be readily possible to grow one's money risk-free.

I don't understand how this is possible. If I can grow my money risk-free, then why would I ever bother investing in risky assets? If I can afford to eschew risk, and if my behavior is not rare or aberrant, then in the aggregate risk will be eschewed, and the economy comes to a standstill.

Look, I'd love to deposit my money into some ironclad guaranteed account that pays me 2% annually, after-taxes and after inflation. That would double my money, in real terms, in 36 years. I'm not trying to become a billionaire, and 2% real annual return is plenty for me. Why diddle with stocks or bonds? Who needs to bother with venture-capital, with entanglement in the corporate world and so forth, with price/earnings ratios and municipal bond ratings and so forth, if I can get a good return risk-free, perennially and forever? But if I could do that, and if the other guy could do that, and the other and the other, then we'd have no more corporate world. We'd have no more stock market or bond market. We'd have no market-based economy, no growth and no prosperity. We'd have feudalism.

Risk is the lifeblood of any sustainable growth. Any system that rewards non-risk with sustainable returns is a doomed system.

I'm not a glutton for risk. I hate it! I hate the recent correction that we've had. I was – no kidding – almost suicidal during the collapse of 2007-2009, watching the essence of what I'd labored a lifetime to achieve be drained and destroyed day after day. But what is the alternative? Either we have to countenance risk, however much we hate it; or we accept relentless decline in real-terms of our portfolios. There is no stable third option.

Those who hate the FED are convinced that such a stable third option exists. But unfortunately it doesn't exist.
I am not quite following you here. Does the FED countenance risk? How does the FED support risk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics