Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 05:36 PM

162 posts, read 270,312 times

Advertisements

this is from an article about Grace Poe:

So she enumerated what she would do in (1) education; (2) agriculture; (3) infrastructure; (4) “Tuwid na daan,” curb corruption, pass the Freedom of Information bill; (5) lower high taxes; (6) fair wages and benefits; (7) lower cost of electricity, and improve power generation; (8) take care of our OFWs; (9) eliminate drugs and crime; (10) peace and progress in the country—equal opportunities to the Moros who inspired many of my father’s films; (11) respect human rights; (12) everywhere improve health and have hospitals; (13) protect our West Philippine Sea; (14) improve traffic and save time and human energy; (15) have more roads and trains all over and remove colorum vehicles; (16) improve access to the internet for all; (17) give more government help to the arts, culture, and sports; (18) have a separate Emergency Management Department to face the reality of climate change; (19) provide sufficient infrastructure for tourism; and (20) provide standard lunch program in all public schools.

Nowhere is there any sign of priority being given to Manufacturing. The lack of manufacturing in the Philippines I believe is the number one reason why it its development behind the other countries in the region. I read that manufacturing is the number one way of rising a country out of poverty and those that never industrialise stay poor especially in the case of countries like Philippines with high population. So manufacturing is the only way out of poverty. Any ideas as to why she completely skipped it? I did read that Philippines is completely non competitive in manufacturing so is she just going to ignore it because of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 09:58 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaronto View Post
Nowhere is there any sign of priority being given to Manufacturing.
I think we've had this discussion before.

What raw materials does the Philippines have?

You need two things to manufacture: Raw Materials and Energy.

What is your energy? Oil? Do you use oil fired electrical generation plants?

You are aware that the Philippines are islands, right? Sure, Taiwan is an island, but Taiwan sits in the middle of shipping lanes.

Is the Philippines currency internationally traded?

Because that would be another barrier to manufacturing.

If you have to import raw materials or semi-finished goods to manufacture, then you need to buy them first. It's hard to buy things on the global market if your currency is not accepted. You have to do what Russia and Romania and others did, which is export items on the global market sold in Euros or Dollars to get the hard currency needed to purchase the commodities you need to import.

What can the Philippines export for hard currency?

There's an economic progression:

0 Level = Agriculture
1st Level = Natural Resources
2nd Level = Heavy Manufacturing
3rd Level = Light (Clean) Manufacturing
4th Level = Technology & Services
5th Level = Research & Development

If you can't get 0 Level right, it will skew everything.

Quote:
(1) education; (2) agriculture; (3) infrastructure; (7) lower cost of electricity, and improve power generation;
She's on the right track.

You need to stabilize your ZERO Level Economy. That's Agriculture. A well-established ZERO Economy will feed everyone cheaply, while leaving a surplus to export for cash or trade for other food-stuffs or food commodities.

Lack of infrastructure hampers economic growth, and is a bar to manufacturing. Lack of education is a bar to manufacturing. She wants to lower the cost of electricity and generate more power. Those are all bars to manufacturing.

She's addressing the proper issues.

If you do those things, maybe in 20 years you'll be ready for some basic manufacturing.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:24 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
? Sure, Taiwan is an island, but Taiwan sits in the middle of shipping lanes.
taiwan doesnt manufacture that much "on" the island of taiwan, or i dont think they do. a lot of their factories are oversea in china and malayasia. that big foxconn complex in china that we hear about, its owned by taiwanese company... same with many other factories but that name is biggest off top of my mind.

Philippines seems to manufacture call centers, data centers... things they can export to the US...

her plan sounds like she wants to bring foreign investments to country, which might lead to manufacturing, but you need things in place first

Old 10-04-2015, 08:16 PM

climbing the ladder to manufacturing has taken time in all countries anyways, but it seems like it will be even slower in the Philippines case. if it takes 2 decades just to get things in place for basic manufacturing, it will be end of my life before it can even be like Thailand, industrializing a lot, but totally 3rd world still.

If she is addresing some things that could benefit manufacturing in the future, but not giving it priority in her upcoming 6 year term, they still wont get anywhere. the modern world of manufacturing is high competition as robotics and otehr factors are making it less easy for new counries to grab some of it. it is getting locked down in certina places. Even India and Indonesia which are fighting for manufacturing AND are in Delloites manufacturing competitivenes list are failing to get into the action anywhere soon. So if Philippines does not even make an effort, nothing will happen.

But I guess based on what you said, that is why we also expect nothing to happen. Maybe those things you listed are reasons why it never has been a manufacturing country and still wont get priority for that from future presidents. I do remember reading an article about manufacturing saying how they looked at Philippines for its enlgish proficiency, but dismissed it for its natural disaster risk. I then saw why the company eliminated Philippines form its choices, it has 8 of the 10 most at risk cities in the world for natural disaster and ALL of them are in the part most considered for factories.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:23 PM

is the currency issue something that can be fixed right away?

Indonesia is also an island chain and so is Japan so why is geography only hampering Philippines? Japan is rich now, but it started off like Philippines is now.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:05 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
taiwan doesnt manufacture that much "on" the island of taiwan, or i dont think they do. a lot of their factories are oversea in china and malayasia. that big foxconn complex in china that we hear about, its owned by taiwanese company... same with many other factories but that name is biggest off top of my mind.

Philippines seems to manufacture call centers, data centers... things they can export to the US...

her plan sounds like she wants to bring foreign investments to country, which might lead to manufacturing, but you need things in place first
in the tool and machining world a lot comes from taiwan. yes china, but taiwan is always sought out before china in those areas.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:20 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,321 times
Not to bash this candidate but her campaign looks so boring.

Nearly every EM candidate is saying the same things.

And we are yet to see lower taxes.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:46 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I think we've had this discussion before.

What raw materials does the Philippines have?

You need two things to manufacture: Raw Materials and Energy.

What is your energy? Oil? Do you use oil fired electrical generation plants?

You are aware that the Philippines are islands, right? Sure, Taiwan is an island, but Taiwan sits in the middle of shipping lanes.

Is the Philippines currency internationally traded?

Because that would be another barrier to manufacturing.

If you have to import raw materials or semi-finished goods to manufacture, then you need to buy them first. It's hard to buy things on the global market if your currency is not accepted. You have to do what Russia and Romania and others did, which is export items on the global market sold in Euros or Dollars to get the hard currency needed to purchase the commodities you need to import.

What can the Philippines export for hard currency?

There's an economic progression:

0 Level = Agriculture
1st Level = Natural Resources
2nd Level = Heavy Manufacturing
3rd Level = Light (Clean) Manufacturing
4th Level = Technology & Services
5th Level = Research & Development

If you can't get 0 Level right, it will skew everything.

She's on the right track.

You need to stabilize your ZERO Level Economy. That's Agriculture. A well-established ZERO Economy will feed everyone cheaply, while leaving a surplus to export for cash or trade for other food-stuffs or food commodities.

Lack of infrastructure hampers economic growth, and is a bar to manufacturing. Lack of education is a bar to manufacturing. She wants to lower the cost of electricity and generate more power. Those are all bars to manufacturing.

She's addressing the proper issues.

If you do those things, maybe in 20 years you'll be ready for some basic manufacturing.
you can leap frog to 3 & 4 & 5. thats where all economies go anyway. if they can employ another 3M in BPO, and attract 10M tourists a year..i think the Philippines is on its way + the flexibility of exporting OFWs, not the household staffs

Old 10-05-2015, 06:57 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
quote=Santaronto;41442995]is the currency issue something that can be fixed right away?[/quote]

No.

Quote:
Indonesia is also an island chain and so is Japan so why is geography only hampering Philippines?
Location plus proximity to critical resources.

Quote:
climbing the ladder to manufacturing has taken time in all countries anyways, but it seems like it will be even slower in the Philippines case.
Well, the Philippines has been hampered by US imperialism and a string of puppet-dictators that left Filipinos high and dry. Whenever someone (like Thomas Aquino) stepped forward to help his country, the US shot them down in the street like dogs, or used propaganda and disinformation to destroy their election campaign.

At the time the US acquired the Philippines from Spain, Filipino agricultural workers made just as much money as US workers: about $0.30 per day.

Where are the Filipinos 100 years later in relation to US wages?

You can see the damage US foreign policy did to the Philippines.

Quote:
if it takes 2 decades just to get things in place for basic manufacturing, it will be end of my life before it can even be like Thailand, industrializing a lot, but totally 3rd world still.
Again, much of that has to do with US imperialism.

Quote:
If she is addresing some things that could benefit manufacturing in the future, but not giving it priority in her upcoming 6 year term, they still wont get anywhere.
Agriculture must be stabilized.

Are the Philippines a net-exporter of food or a net-importer of food?

I don't know the answer, but when you find out, it will say a lot about the state of your economy.

A starving/hungry populace presents a challenge.

I suspect US corporations have plowed under food-crops like rice to grow coffee, chocolate and sugar cane (because that is what the US did in African States: overthrew the government, set up a puppet-dictatorship, brought in the multi-national corporations and started on cash-crops).

Anyway, ideally, if at all possible, you want to be a net-exporter of food, meaning you grow enough to feed everyone in the Philippines, plus extra to export for cash, or to trade for food imports.

Quote:
the modern world of manufacturing is high competition as robotics and otehr factors are making it less easy for new counries to grab some of it.
I suspect that Poe knows that which is why she is focused on agriculture.

Quote:
But I guess based on what you said, that is why we also expect nothing to happen. Maybe those things you listed are reasons why it never has been a manufacturing country and still wont get priority for that from future presidents.
1st Things 1st, and Agriculture is always 1st.

Quote:
I do remember reading an article about manufacturing saying how they looked at Philippines for its enlgish proficiency, but dismissed it for its natural disaster risk. I then saw why the company eliminated Philippines form its choices, it has 8 of the 10 most at risk cities in the world for natural disaster and ALL of them are in the part most considered for factories.
Okay.

The difference between heavy manufacturing and light manufacturing (aka light industry or clean industry) is the use of petro-chemicals.

Heavy manufacturing requires petro-chemicals, while light manufacturing does not.

That means you need crude oil to refine into petro-chemicals, or you'll have to import the refined petro-chemicals. These are things like lubricants, oils, petroleum jellies, oil-based solvents and oil-based paints and other chemicals.

Ford built an auto plant (heavy manufacturing) in India, and it can export to the region.

Can you do the same in the Philippines? Probably not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
you can leap frog to 3 & 4 & 5.
True, but it requires education (and I don't know anything about education in the Philippines).

Look how India is taking 4th Level jobs from the US right now, but India has a well-established education system, plus has the basic infrastructure to do that.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:06 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
The Philippines does have manufacturing! Babies!

The remittances from their foreign workers is amongst the highest in the world, so let's keep it difficult to have an abortion over there, or even access to birth control pills, and let's keep the money flowing.

With the lowering of the fertility rate, in so many countries today, you may see Filipino's even gravitating to Poland to fill the void.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics