Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2015, 09:59 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,602,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Okay you just ignored anything I said. If your only choice is take a job or end up homeless you take the job does not mean the job is a good job.
But it's better than no job?

Old 11-13-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
If you are getting skills or going to school you still need money to live on don't you? Most people who work these jobs are not going to school or supplementing family income that makes a small portion of the workers. Where does it say these jobs are not supposed to be a career I have yet to see anyone show any evidence.
Would you like to make a career out of asking "would you like fries with that?". Personally, I would not.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:34 PM

3,008 posts, read 2,258,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Minimum wage was enacted in 1938. Adjusted for inflation, 1938's minimum wage of $.25 per hour would be $4.19 per hour today.

Given that fact, I fail to see how a floor is not being provided.

Minimum wage since 1938 - CNNMoney
That chart makes no sense why after 1970 would the min wage adjusted for inflation go down after it had been going up? The min wage if properly raised should be raised as prices raise that has not happened. In 1938 the min wage was .25 so you mean to tell me over 70 years later it should only be $4.00 more when prices have risen a lot more?There is plenty of evidence that min wage adjusted for inflation should be more then $4.19.

The Minimum Wage Is Stuck at $7.25; It Should Be $21.16 -- or Higher
Minimum Wage Mythbusters - U.S. Department of Labor
The Minimum Wage Is Worth $2 Less Today Than It Was In 1968: Study

Old 11-13-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Would you like to make a career out of asking "would you like fries with that?". Personally, I would not.
For some people it is not a choice they do not have the money or intelligence to go to school and it is either take the job or get kicked out of your house/apartment. Other people may not have the intelligence of opportunities you had so comparing yourself to them makes no sense.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:47 PM

42,757 posts, read 26,002,909 times
Quote:
Neither would I, but I give credit to people who choose work over welfare when that is the only job they can get. There is a lady in her late 50's or early 60's who walks past my house every day on her way to work. She is disabled, she has a bad limp and she has a facial deformity that makes it hard for her to speak clearly, but she's clearly very proud when she walks down the street in her McDonald's uniform on her way to work. As slow as she walks it probably takes her well over an hour to get to work. I have so much respect for her. If it were me I may very well have applied for disability and just stayed in the house wallowing in self pity.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
That chart makes no sense why after 1970 would the min wage adjusted for inflation go down after it had been going up? The min wage if properly raised should be raised as prices raise that has not happened. In 1938 the min wage was .25 so you mean to tell me over 70 years later it should only be $4.00 more when prices have risen a lot more?There is plenty of evidence that min wage adjusted for inflation should be more then $4.19.

The Minimum Wage Is Stuck at $7.25; It Should Be $21.16 -- or Higher
Minimum Wage Mythbusters - U.S. Department of Labor
The Minimum Wage Is Worth $2 Less Today Than It Was In 1968: Study
I'm not meaning to tell you anything. CNN Money is a very reputable source.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
For some people it is not a choice they do not have the money or intelligence to go to school and it is either take the job or get kicked out of your house/apartment. Other people may not have the intelligence of opportunities you had so comparing yourself to them makes no sense.
In the short-term, we may not have a lot of choices. I've been there and lived that. But in the long-term, we all have choices. School isn't for everyone. There are other ways to acquire skills to earn a decent living.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Neither would I, but I give credit to people who choose work over welfare when that is the only job they can get. There is a lady in her late 50's or early 60's who walks past my house every day on her way to work. She is disabled, she has a bad limp and she has a facial deformity that makes it hard for her to speak clearly, but she's clearly very proud when she walks down the street in her McDonald's uniform on her way to work. As slow as she walks it probably takes her well over an hour to get to work. I have so much respect for her. If it were me I may very well have applied for disability and just stayed in the house wallowing in self pity.
I give people credit too. We all have to start someplace, and there is no shame in any honest work.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:18 AM

Quote:
In the short-term, we may not have a lot of choices. I've been there and lived that. But in the long-term, we all have choices. School isn't for everyone. There are other ways to acquire skills to earn a decent living.
Not if you are not smart enough to do better some people all they can do is basic jobs. Other ways like what move up okay but some people are not manager material and if you are talking about opening a business you need money to do that and know how to run a business. Someone has to work these jobs.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Not if you are not smart enough to do better some people all they can do is basic jobs. Other ways like what move up okay but some people are not manager material and if you are talking about opening a business you need money to do that and know how to run a business. Someone has to work these jobs.
Yes, it is true that some do not have the intelligence or aptitude to do better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics