Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2015, 10:30 PM

3,008 posts, read 2,258,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
When you say people with minimum wage jobs would be homeless without those jobs it is an absolute statement and implies everyone. Since it has been proven in this thread that the majority of min wage workers aren't even in households under the poverty level it is nothing short of a lie.

I was hired specifically to catch people making things up as they go along. I'll be watching you... always watching...
Maybe not homeless at once but eventually when the family the friends they live with get tired of them. Where was that proven that link you posted did not have any evidence backing it up it just because you post one thing does not make it true. Not only that you avoided where I showed you a article from the same website that said in 2016 %45 of families would be in poverty.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:05 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,511,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Maybe not homeless at once but eventually when the family the friends they live with get tired of them.
You're doing it again, you just cannot resist the temptation to spin up whatever pops into your head and state it as fact. Are you thinking someone who's spouse works part time for extra income will get tired of them and kick them out? What about a family who's kid is working at Subway while attending community college? The retiree who works at Walmart to supplement social security income will get kicked out of their family?

Quote:
Where was that proven that link you posted did not have any evidence backing it up it just because you post one thing does not make it true.
I posted a link to a study by the Congressional Budget Office which credited it's source data right on the page. You just don't like it because it directly contradicts what you're shoveling.

Quote:
Not only that you avoided where I showed you a article from the same website that said in 2016 %45 of families would be in poverty.
Irrelevant since it doesn't support your claim that min wage workers would be homeless if they didn't take those jobs. You didn't say some would be in poverty, you said they'd all be homeless. You are constantly posting links to things that don't back up your tall tales, then get worked up when nobody bothers to acknowledge it.

When you post a link showing all (or even most) minimum wage workers would go homeless without those jobs I'll be interested.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:04 AM

10,019 posts, read 7,165,198 times
If we could fix 3 problems - the cost of housing, education and health care, pretty much the main things that have inflated to absurd levels - then the wage argument would be moot.

People need higher wages because the cost of living inexorably increases every year.

But I can get a T-shirt really cheap.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
You're doing it again, you just cannot resist the temptation to spin up whatever pops into your head and state it as fact. Are you thinking someone who's spouse works part time for extra income will get tired of them and kick them out? What about a family who's kid is working at Subway while attending community college? The retiree who works at Walmart to supplement social security income will get kicked out of their family?

I posted a link to a study by the Congressional Budget Office which credited it's source data right on the page. You just don't like it because it directly contradicts what you're shoveling.

Irrelevant since it doesn't support your claim that min wage workers would be homeless if they didn't take those jobs. You didn't say some would be in poverty, you said they'd all be homeless. You are constantly posting links to things that don't back up your tall tales, then get worked up when nobody bothers to acknowledge it.

When you post a link showing all (or even most) minimum wage workers would go homeless without those jobs I'll be interested.
Your info says that 19% of 31 billion would go to families below poverty line. You do realize that 19% of 31 billion is a huge number? All the info in that article are estimates so they do not even know for sure if it is correct and they do not show how they got 31 billion or that only 19 percent are below poverty line but sure keep believe that it is a credible source. You know what happens to the other 29 percent that goes to families that are above poverty line they spend it which is good for the economy and good for businesses but I doubt you seem to care because all you seem to care about is that people making lower wages do not get more. Wither all of them would be homeless or not is irrelevant in the fact that some would homeless but you wanna twist what I say to try and say none would be homeless. If they are not homeless they go on government assistance or live with relatives neither which are good options either. Sure there are some that are working part time while going to college or to supplement an income but you are forgetting the people who are doing this as careers.

Last edited by Storm Eagle; 12-10-2015 at 10:49 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Your info says that 19% of 31 billion would go to families below poverty line. You do realize that 19% of 31 billion is a huge number?
And you do realize that 81% is an even bigger one, that effectively sinks your claim that min wage workers will go homeless without their jobs. Of course you question the report, it makes you a liar.

Quote:
Wither all of them would be homeless or not is irrelevant
It is quite relevant when you're running around saying min wage workers would go homeless without their jobs and the majority aren't even in families under the poverty level. You were lying.

Let my try to frame the flaw in your method of arguing with unsupportable absolute statements in a way maybe you can get your head around. If I say this:

"Minimum wage workers don't need those jobs since they are just people earning extra spending money"

Would you consider that a reasonable way for me to make a point? Of course not! It might be true for some, but if it isn't true for all I cannot reasonably make the claim. You're doing the same thing from the opposite direction, saying min wage workers would go homeless without their jobs even though we all know it isn't true for all of them especially since most aren't even in households under the poverty level. You can sit here spinning as many links as you want, but until you find one proving they'd all be homeless you're just lying by making absolute statements that are easily proven false.

Last edited by lieqiang; 12-11-2015 at 02:42 AM..

Old 12-11-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
And you do realize that 81% is an even bigger one, that effectively sinks your claim that min wage workers will go homeless without their jobs. Of course you question the report, it makes you a liar.

It is quite relevant when you're running around saying min wage workers would go homeless without their jobs and the majority aren't even in families under the poverty level. You were lying.

Let my try to frame the flaw in your method of arguing with unsupportable absolute statements in a way maybe you can get your head around. If I say this:

"Minimum wage workers don't need those jobs since they are just people earning extra spending money"

Would you consider that a reasonable way for me to make a point? Of course not! It might be true for some, but if it isn't true for all I cannot reasonably make the claim. You're doing the same thing from the opposite direction, saying min wage workers would go homeless without their jobs even though we all know it isn't true for all of them especially since most aren't even in households under the poverty level. You can sit here spinning as many links as you want, but until you find one proving they'd all be homeless you're just lying by making absolute statements that are easily proven false.
Maybe I could phrased it better how about a lot of people who would not take a low wage job would be homeless. Is that better? Why are you acting like if they do not take that job it is a good thing that nothing bad will happen to them? Even if they are not the only income in their family if they do not have income it can make it harder on the family. I know that %81 is bigger that does not change there would be a lot of people helped by a raise. If so many min wage workers do not need a raise because they are above poverty why are so many people using food stamps and government housing? By the way I can post links to and more than 1.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...-wage-poverty/

http://www.oxfamamerica.org/static/m...am-America.pdf

http://nation.time.com/2014/01/02/10...ty-study-says/

Last edited by Storm Eagle; 12-11-2015 at 06:24 AM..

Old 12-11-2015, 06:08 AM

Quote:
If so many min wage workers do not need a raise because they are above poverty why are so many people using food stamps and government housing?
I have no idea what the cross section of people on food stamps and government housing is with minimum wage workers, do you?

Old 12-12-2015, 04:02 AM

Quote:
I have no idea what the cross section of people on food stamps and government housing is with minimum wage workers, do you?
52 Percent of Fast Food Workers Need Government Assistance to Make Ends Meet - Eater

​How low-wage employers cost taxpayers $153B a year - CBS News
Public Housing - HUD

Old 12-12-2015, 04:22 AM

Okay, so what is your point exactly? Have I claimed there are no fast food workers on government assistance, or that no low wage workers get benefits?

For the billionth time, I am claiming that most min wage workers aren't even in households that are under the poverty level. Your first link further supports this (since you discount CBO) when it notes only 40% of fast food workers are in poverty. None of your links disagree with what I've said as far as I can tell.

I have also been dismissing your claim that minimum wage workers must have those jobs or they would go homeless. This is proven false by above, if most aren't even in poverty then clearly most wouldn't be homeless.

You've posted a ton of links through desperate googling (a link to HUD? Seriously?) but haven't once handled either of the above positions (in bold) that have been spelled out to you over and over.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Okay, so what is your point exactly? Have I claimed there are no fast food workers on government assistance, or that no low wage workers get benefits?

For the billionth time, I am claiming that most min wage workers aren't even in households that are under the poverty level. Your first link further supports this (since you discount CBO) when it notes only 40% of fast food workers are in poverty. None of your links disagree with what I've said as far as I can tell.

I have also been dismissing your claim that minimum wage workers must have those jobs or they would go homeless. This is proven false by above, if most aren't even in poverty then clearly most wouldn't be homeless.

You've posted a ton of links through desperate googling (a link to HUD? Seriously?) but haven't once handled either of the above positions (in bold) that have been spelled out to you over and over.
The first link in the title says 52 percent of fast food workers need assistance to make ends meat so that debunks the whole not many people need min wage raise to survive. You are just looking at the %40 as 40 out of 100 ratio. It is %40 of all people working fast food which is a lot of people. Last year according to this https://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/about/overview/ 46.7 people were in poverty so if you take %40 of 46.7 it is over 18 million people so yeah it would help a lot of people It also said that we shell out 153 million dollars to help fund public assistance programs is not that a lot of money? So I used google that does not make my info incorrect wow you are reaching to try to pretend you are right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics